Best way you know to amplify a classical guitar.

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Tremeggio

Re: Best way you know to amplify a classical guitar.

Post by Tremeggio » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:58 am

The best acoustic guitar amp is the AER compact 60.Not cheap but they sound fantastic.

As for microphones or pickups. Mics can be very problematic. Yamaha’s A.R.T 2 way pickup system is very good because rather than having just a piezo under the strings at the saddle it has two contact pickups attached under the soundboard(one on the bass side and one on the treble) and knobs to adjust bass and treble volumes.

This is my combination which I perform with every week.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi Tremeggio,

Sorry, but the AER I heard didn't sound that natural to my ears and cannot enhance dynamics, unlike Joie's system. You just get the same narrow dynamic range a bit louder, with risks of feedback, especially if you play chamber classical music (which I do).
What music do you play and which setting?

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:14 pm

rickms63 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:21 am
I know this strays a bit far from the OP, but for nylon string performance live I used a Godin Duet Ambiance guitar or even my Yamaha Silent guitar. I understand, neither are traditional. I either play directly into a PA or a Fishman loadbox. The combination sounds great.
Depends what your expectations are as to tone and what repertoire you play, I guess.

Tremeggio

Post by Tremeggio » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:05 pm

ben etow wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 pm
Hi Tremeggio,

Sorry, but the AER I heard didn't sound that natural to my ears and cannot enhance dynamics, unlike Joie's system. You just get the same narrow dynamic range a bit louder, with risks of feedback, especially if you play chamber classical music (which I do).
What music do you play and which setting?

Hi Ben etow,
I play popular Classical pieces like Romanza Asturias an arrangement of Ravels bolero. I have about 1.5 hrs of learned repertoire which I extend by reading simpler pieces. I play to restaurants and at artisan and produce markets. At outdoor gigs I sometimes have my amp loud but have never had feedback. I’ve had my AER for 12 years it’s never let me down.
Having said that Joies system looks pretty good and I’ve not tried it😊

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi Tremeggio,

I also played in restaurants like 25 years ago, but now I am playing both chamber music and solo concerts where I don't have to fight with forks and glasses... The tone I get with Joie's system is as pure/natural as the cello or flute of my colleagues AND I play with the same volume as them (I can even play louder !).

brian

Post by brian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 am

i like the bartlett clip on mic.
can go to pretty loud without
feedback. it's very small, very clean
neutral sounding. i believe there
are a couple choices. (iirc, and
i may not be recalling correctly,
one has a battery pack for the
phantom power the other just goes
straight to the xrl input.) the one
i have goes straight to the amp(which
has phantom power). sometimes i run
it through a mic preamp, but that's more
to work the volume when the amp will
be out of reach.
i had some technical questions and
mr. bartlett responded quickly with
crystal clear answers. bought directly
from him in the USA.
hope that helps!!
(i use a carvin acoustic amp, but sadly
they're not making amps/PA's anymore.
hopefully that'll change, because it sounds
great. also bought directly from the factory
in California.)
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 pm

brian wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 am
feedback.
I guess you mean the volume is up. Joie's system enhances dynamics and sustain... This is another world.

brian

Post by brian » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:07 am

ben etow wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 pm
brian wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 am
feedback.
I guess you mean the volume is up. Joie's system enhances dynamics and sustain... This is another world.
yup, i mean when you turn up the
amp, it doesn't feed back like a normal
mic.
as far as enhancing dynamics and
sustain? the bartlett is neutral and
natural, therefore if your guitar has
good dynamics and sustain, the mic will
show that.
i'm sure the system you're referring too
is excellent, but i'm speaking from
my experience, as the OP asked.
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:28 am

Every time I read this thread I try googling different combinations of "Jean-Luc Joie wi-fi loudspeaker", "Jean-Luc Joie amplification system", "Jean-Luc Joie wi-fi amplifier", "Joie amplifier for guitar". I cannot find any type of Joie or Jean-Luc Joie amplifier on the internet. The only thing that I can find is Jean-Luc Joie guitars.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:28 am

Yes, Frenchies aren't quick internet geeks... Contact him through his site, which has obviously not been updated for a few years (he was busy making guitars and amps for Thibault and others...). He is on FB too.

Alexander Kalil

Post by Alexander Kalil » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:22 pm

In my experience, the most natural amplified sound you get using a good and well positioned mic in front of the guitar connected to a good and well positioned amp or active speaker. By careful placement of the mic and speakers you can get very good volume before feedback. In this application the positioning is more important than the particular choice of equipment. For an example of a well amplified classical guitar sound searh YT for "Jason Vieaux Live at the Crown Guitar Festival".

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:13 pm

On this topic, has anyone ever found out what system Trepat is using in the two concerts that he or the organizers posted online? The system can be seen right behind him in both concerts. The sound recorded from those concerts is very good. I understand it doesn't necessarily reflect how it sounded at the concert halls. But knowing Trepat’s extreme fastidiousness with producing a good sound, I would be surprised if he used something that doesn’t sound satisfactory to him. In interviews he has stated clearly he prefers to play in places small enough that don't require amplification, but for larger halls he is willing to compromise, which I think makes sense.

This one was made available online by the organizing entity (Fundación Juan March)

And this one by Trepat himself

2014 Yamaha GC42S

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Alexander Kalil wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:22 pm
In my experience, the most natural amplified sound you get using a good and well positioned mic in front of the guitar connected to a good and well positioned amp or active speaker. By careful placement of the mic and speakers you can get very good volume before feedback. In this application the positioning is more important than the particular choice of equipment. For an example of a well amplified classical guitar sound searh YT for "Jason Vieaux Live at the Crown Guitar Festival".
If you play alone in good conditions and only expect +6dB at 10m, it's fine (even if you just have the very same tiny dynamic range at +6dB), but if you play chamber music or a concerto, when you need at least +25dB at 10m and have any other instrument picked up by your mic in front of your guitar, you might consider Joie's system :D

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:20 pm

lacatedral wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:40 pm
...wondering what's the best way to amplify a classical guitar... the repertoire I'm studying right now is more "fingerstyle" or popular arrangements of pop songs.
It's been about a year since you posted the question... did you choose a way to amplify?

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:52 pm

ben etow wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:54 pm
Alexander Kalil wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:22 pm
If you play alone in good conditions and only expect +6dB at 10m, it's fine (even if you just have the very same tiny dynamic range at +6dB), but if you play chamber music or a concerto, when you need at least +25dB at 10m and have any other instrument picked up by your mic in front of your guitar, you might consider Joie's system :D
Edenwood recording the very same way they play live...
Edenwood recording session.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”