Videos of lesser known pieces and Transcriptions

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Videos of lesser known pieces and Transcriptions

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 am

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I love it, beautifull composition and very good performance on a very good instrument too! And indeed lesser known :D

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 am

I love it, beautifull composition and very good performance on a very good instrument too! And indeed lesser known :D
This terrific guitarist has many more recitals posted.
The guitar was made by Sergey Sergeev of St. Petersburg.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 pm
Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 am

This terrific guitarist has many more recitals posted.
The guitar was made by Sergey Sergeev of St. Petersburg.

Thank you Marshall for sharing this , I have listened to some of the other videos and I am really enchanted!

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat May 25, 2019 3:16 am

I think this is OK to post.
An original composition "Prelude in G minor" by Juan Calderon the performer and from his own channel.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:40 am
As nobody does reply my vengance will be terrible :mrgreen:
My sister plays the accordian. I am not fazed by your vengeance. :D
girl with braces.jpg
:chaud:

After seeing this picture of your girl with braces I had to rethink my remark about your vengance! If I were a conspiracy theorist I could imagine that your absence from this thread means you're working on something terrible indeed. Something innovative, thorough and... medieval! :shock:

In my last posting I worry that maybe the recorded sound in the laundromat wasn't clean enough. So here is a another original composition from Juan Calderon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 pm
Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:40 am
As nobody does reply my vengance will be terrible :mrgreen:
My sister plays the accordian. I am not fazed by your vengeance. :D
girl with braces.jpg :chaud:

After seeing this picture of your girl with braces I had to rethink my remark about your vengance! If I were a conspiracy theorist I could imagine that your absence from this thread means you're working on something terrible indeed. Something innovative, thorough and... medieval! :shock:

In my last posting I worry that maybe the recorded sound in the laundromat wasn't clean enough. So here is a another original composition from Juan Calderon.

Hi ! very nice composition, performance and recording. I am sorry that I havent posted for a longer period now. I have been very busy with other subjects than guitars, like dentist,taxes, condos, family properites and other issues which needed my attention, and I also still run another business besides building guitars. I have in fact a project for a prototype but I had no oportunity to work on it. You are a luthier too, if I remember right. What are you building actually?

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:22 am

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:33 pm

. What are you building actually?
OK. Glad you're not up to anything sinester. :D

I moved about a year ago. Had to renovate a little house from the floor to ceiling. About 2 years ago I got into a conversation with another member here who was building a Russian 7 string guitar. I had never heard any of that repertoire and I love it. I decided to build one and got the body done and the neck ready to put together last June. It will be #28. At the same time I started #27 based on the design of Jacobi, you know, where the fan is reversed. I figure since I'm a bass ackward kind of guy this might work out better. :) I broke the luthier code though. Am making several changes at once: double sides, different brace patterns and making the taper of the body narrower at the tail, which idea I got from Arthur Overholtzer.

I've been talking to another member @goinbaroke about his first build and reviewing the Cumpiano & Natalson book. It has been a great motivator for me, so I started #29 using their method and getting organized in a hands on way.

Also its fire season and we live in the forest. I've been clearing dead wood debree seems like forever. I recall some bad fires in Portugal last year. We've been threatened every year for the last five years and the smoke has caused us to evacuate four times.

Your thread here has given me great pleasure. Discovering new things. Especially the accordian! This one is still copyright I believe. I listened to 4 or 5 versions of this and though other versions were played with more flourish, this is my favorite.

Accordian lovers only! Look up:
La foule d'Edith Piaf a l'accordian - Cassandra Bosserie

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:22 am
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:33 pm

. What are you building actually?
OK. Glad you're not up to anything sinester. :D

I moved about a year ago. Had to renovate a little house from the floor to ceiling. About 2 years ago I got into a conversation with another member here who was building a Russian 7 string guitar. I had never heard any of that repertoire and I love it. I decided to build one and got the body done and the neck ready to put together last June. It will be #28. At the same time I started #27 based on the design of Jacobi, you know, where the fan is reversed. I figure since I'm a bass ackward kind of guy this might work out better. :) I broke the luthier code though. Am making several changes at once: double sides, different brace patterns and making the taper of the body narrower at the tail, which idea I got from Arthur Overholtzer.

I've been talking to another member @goinbaroke about his first build and reviewing the Cumpiano & Natalson book. It has been a great motivator for me, so I started #29 using their method and getting organized in a hands on way.

Also its fire season and we live in the forest. I've been clearing dead wood debree seems like forever. I recall some bad fires in Portugal last year. We've been threatened every year for the last five years and the smoke has caused us to evacuate four times.

Your thread here has given me great pleasure. Discovering new things. Especially the accordian! This one is still copyright I believe. I listened to 4 or 5 versions of this and though other versions were played with more flourish, this is my favorite.

Accordian lovers only! Look up:
La foule d'Edith Piaf a l'accordian - Cassandra Bosserie
Hi Marshall,

I like the accordian video very much.

A big part of the fires in Portugal are of criminal nature, because of the many interessts involved with the subject, as fire fighting and subcontractors, paper mills, timber business in general, and now lithium mining also and other obscure things. On the other hand we have extremly bad forest management and just nobody does listen to what the forest experts recommend, which would be to have a natural mixt vegetation with original species.

Diffrent aproaches on barcing and building parameters are very usefull. I use to build a hibrid classcial with mixt bracing, it is a X bracing with a smaller fan under the bridge and a few other bars. It has very good sound qualities and about the best trebles of any insrument that I have ever built.

I have a project for an ultralight laminated all balsa top and I am really curious about it. On the other hand my own instrument is a Hernandez e Aguado style traditional model with a rather heavy spruce top and it has a surprisingly loud and penetrating sound.

But in the end I need to sell the instruments, and my aproach is one thing, and another what the players are after, and it is not easy to understand what is really better as guitar building becomes more and more a fashion trade where most players don't keep the same instrument for so long and are always looking for something new

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am

This is one of the outstanding personalities of the earlier classical guitar generation in Portugal: José Duarte Costa - his composition "procissão" performed by Pedro Rodrigues

Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 pm

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am
This is one of the outstanding personalities of the earlier classical guitar generation in Portugal: José Duarte Costa - his comosition "procissão" performed by Pedro Rodrigues
Does anybody know where I might find the music for this piece?

Cheers

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 pm

closet guitarist wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 pm
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am
This is one of the outstanding personalities of the earlier classical guitar generation in Portugal: José Duarte Costa - his comosition "procissão" performed by Pedro Rodrigues
Does anybody know where I might find the music for this piece?

Cheers
He founded his own music school in Lisbon which still does exist. If somebody has his scores it is them for sure https://www.escoladuartecosta.pt/contact
or contact escolasduartecosta@gmail.com or https://www.facebook.com/marialfcorreia

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks Christian. Unfortunately I do not speak the language nor am I a member of facebook. I will send an email.

Cheers

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Here some lesser known older music / Marionas - F. Guerau, Pedro Rodrigues guitar
Pedro Rodrigues is of the younger classical guitar generation. He studied in Paris with Alberto Ponce. Hi is professor for classical guitar at Aveiro University in Portugal

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:24 pm

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:44 pm
Here some lesser known older music / Marionas - F. Guerau, Pedro Rodrigues guitar...
This must be the rarest of all. A baroque composer that was a guitarist! Do you think he wrote it out for harpsichord and then trancribed it? :D

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Pedro Joia in Corridinho Algarvio (folk music from Algarve, Portugal) with a specially designed guitar and an accordion. Quite a show...

Corridinho Algarvio
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Return to “Our favourite websites”