D02 x players, 4 notes, 5 days, 2 voices

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi everybody,
I want to start one game for this lesson. This time I managed to attach the photo, so here it is:
PSX_20180307_123841.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom Wimsatt

Re: D02 x players, 4 notes, 5 days, 2 voices

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 am

Hey Lucian, I'll join in and post something in about an hour. :D
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 am

Here it is. I'll post the video in a bit
2018-03-07 19.31.51.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:03 am

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:47 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:03 am
I might be on thin ice here given that this is not my game, but I think my observation is educational and in that sense useful.
Lucian as you know calls for two voices. My understanding of common practice is that the upper voice has all the lines pointing up, the lower voice has all the lines pointing down, and that each voice is completely independent of the other. The lower voice tends to stay below the upper voice and I cannot recall ever seeing a deviation from that general rule but I suppose exceptions might exist. Lucian's first measure almost complies. He has four quarter notes pointing up which completes the upper voice but only a half note pointing down. He needs to either add a half rest to the lower voice or, more likely, change the half note to a full note as I am sure that is what he intended.
With this in mind I encourage you to view any of the material we have been given. Sometimes rests are added to one or both voices to fully fulfill the measure, but I think you will see what I mean. You might reconsider how your submission should be penned.
A voice can have multiple notes being played concurrently of course, though I suspect what Lucian anticipated here was no more than one note per voice at a time and no more than 4 notes per voice in total, presumably intending all four notes to complete a measure.
I hope I am not out of line here. I am currently in a bad mood dealing with an insurance claim that was handled very unprofessionally and find myself unsure of how I come across to people who only deserve my best behavior. I kind of barked at my lovely wife earlier when she took a wrong turn and I didn't help her find her way back to where she was going. She is learning to drive so I used it as a learning experience reasoning that I would not always be with her but I am sure I could have been nicer in my approach. :?

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:47 am
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
I might be on thin ice here given that this is not my game, but I think my observation is educational and in that sense useful.
Lucian as you know calls for two voices. My understanding of common practice is that the upper voice has all the lines pointing up, the lower voice has all the lines pointing down, and that each voice is completely independent of the other. The lower voice tends to stay below the upper voice and I cannot recall ever seeing a deviation from that general rule but I suppose exceptions might exist. Lucian's first measure almost complies. He has four quarter notes pointing up which completes the upper voice but only a half note pointing down. He needs to either add a half rest to the lower voice or, more likely, change the half note to a full note as I am sure that is what he intended.
With this in mind I encourage you to view any of the material we have been given. Sometimes rests are added to one or both voices to fully fulfill the measure, but I think you will see what I mean. You might reconsider how your submission should be penned.
A voice can have multiple notes being played concurrently of course, though I suspect what Lucian anticipated here was no more than one note per voice at a time and no more than 4 notes per voice in total, presumably intending all four notes to complete a measure.
I hope I am not out of line here. I am currently in a bad mood dealing with an insurance claim that was handled very unprofessionally and find myself unsure of how I come across to people who only deserve my best behavior. I kind of barked at my lovely wife earlier when she took a wrong turn and I didn't help her find her way back to where she was going. She is learning to drive so I used it as a learning experience reasoning that I would not always be with her but I am sure I could have been nicer in my approach. :?

Jules, thank you for your input, you are not out of line neither on thin ice (I'm sorry for your bad mood, we all have those, too, sometimes).
You're right, my intention was that the lower voice is a full note and no more than 4 notes per voice to complete a measure.
Tom, for my part I'll keep my first video like it is with a remark that the lower voice is a full note, and I change that in my next post. Now let me know if you keep your notation (I don't mind if it rest like this) or you want to change something to it.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Oops. Points well taken. There are, in fact, too many notes! (I'm thinking of a scene in Amadaeus).

I noticed the missing rest, but totally missed the 4-note structure you specified ( I was unaware of the up versus down notation by the way, in the past I added beats and rests and sort of mathematically determined which voice was which ). I have stumbled on 1st and 2nd voice chords by the way. Although I am not certain this is correct at this point.

I'll fix/replace my input today. Sorry about that.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:12 am

Here's the revised score.
2018-03-08 21.10.58.jpg

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 am

Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am
Jules Wilkins wrote:
Tom Wimsatt wrote:

Jules, thank you for your input, you are not out of line neither on thin ice (I'm sorry for your bad mood, we all have those, too, sometimes).
You're right, my intention was that the lower voice is a full note and no more than 4 notes per voice to complete a measure.
Tom, for my part I'll keep my first video like it is with a remark that the lower voice is a full note, and I change that in my next post. Now let me know if you keep your notation (I don't mind if it rest like this) or you want to change something to it.
Lucian, I have posted the revision. I hope it's better this time. :okok:

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 am
Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am
Jules Wilkins wrote:

Lucian, I have posted the revision. I hope it's better this time. :okok:
Me too :) For me is good.
We'll see what Jules have to say. Meanwhile I'm working on the next sequence

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:32 am

Here it is:
PSX_20180309_103105.jpg
I'll post the video later.
Later:

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 pm

2018-03-09 15.20.30.jpg

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 pm

I tweaked my second measure a bit, didn't like the sound of it. By the way, the fingering for this measure is kind of a pain, you can reject my input you find it too irritating.

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:50 am

here is the next measure:
PSX_20180310_104540.jpg

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:55 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 pm
I tweaked my second measure a bit, didn't like the sound of it. By the way, the fingering for this measure is kind of a pain, you can reject my input you find it too irritating.
That's OK. For the fingering, in the game, I just let the fingers choose their way, and for your last measure your fingering seems natural, even it's kind of a pain :)

Return to “Musical Games”