question about interface with sibelius

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
reisjdmd

question about interface with sibelius

Post by reisjdmd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:40 pm

hello

I'd like to compose directly using my classical guitar and Sibelius software. however, the midi interface is a stumbling block. is anyone aware of any kind of pickup, or anything else, that I can attach to a classical guitar, and which will convert the individual string tone to a midi signal [ie using the guitar as a substitute for a midi keyboard]. I am stumped in Wisconsin.

guitarrista

Re: question about interface with sibelius

Post by guitarrista » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Once you get the guitar sound into an electric signal (some sort of pickup? mic?), use something like Jam Origin software - MIDI Guitar 2?

Check out their youtube video - it is really mind-boggling to see/hear the effect as they transform the signal into midi and then onto piano or other instrument on the fly as you play your guitar!

Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

reisjdmd

Post by reisjdmd » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 am

absolutely mind-boggling. thanks for the information.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:56 am

I find Midi Guitar 2 useless for composing. It does not seem to lime acoustic guitar that much, it fails to recognize the duratin of notes and also struggles with separating chords. It works better with electric guitar, but anything beyond single note lines is problematic.

I ownder if anyone here has tried a Godin SA nylon guitar for composing?
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce 640
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired) 650
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Fri May 25, 2018 9:29 am

I have a Godin LGXT electric guitar and a Roland GR-55 guitar synth. It can output midi, too. Although it is usable, I wouldn't even try to use it as an input device for notation. It requires constant concentration on clean and pure playing. The small failures, although not always critical in playing would certainly confuse a notation software and you would spend more time correcting the errors than it would take to enter the notes other ways.

At one point I had a small Korg Nanokeys keyboard and a Korg nanopads. I used the nanopads to select correct note values and the keyboard to enter the notes. After some practice it was actually quite fast way to enter the notes. With Sibelius, the use of the nanopads required some xml file editing, though.

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

Return to “Composers' Workshop”