Hello all - from Hatfield, Massachusetts

Segovia_I_Ain't

Hello all - from Hatfield, Massachusetts

Post by Segovia_I_Ain't » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:47 pm

1) Do you play guitar?
YES - just getting back into classical after a long hiatus.
YES - lover of classical guitar music (and all styles of music)

2) How long have you played?
Since age 10, but had a long hiatus when I went to medical school, graduate school, internship, residency, fellowship, early career as an Infectious Diseases physician. I spent most of my guitar life as a singer and player of folk and Americana music, and spent time in musicals, including Broadway musicals. I am now 66 yrs old, and anxious to learn anew. I have always known that my ergonomics and technique were suboptimal. I am hoping to learn new techniques on the CG. YES, as a matter of fact, I DID start just last week. I also took up the mandolin in 2015.

3) Do you take lessons? Or are you self-taught?
I am starting with a lesson book: "A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar - Composite (Books 1, 2 and 3)(book & 3 CD'S)" by Charles Duncan. Does anyone have ideas for alternatives?

4) Did you start with another type of guitar or musical instrument, and then discover the Classical Guitar?
I had a CG loaned to me in high school. I loced it, but had to give it back, then went to college and got distracted. I always meant to get back to it. I play steel string acoustic (hoping to unlearn some sloppy guitar habits) and mandolin (x 3 years)

5) What type of music are you particularly interested in? What pieces are you currently working on?
First off, re-learn proper ergonomics and technique. After that, does anybody have guitar transcriptions of Erik Satie?

6) Do you have a large gap in your life when you stopped playing the guitar?
YES - a long story. Basically out of action ages 31 - 64, then started mandolin, now wandering back into guitar but realized re-starting on a classical instrument would help me squeeze maximum music and soulful inspiration while causing fewest repetitive motion injuries.

George Crocket

Re: Hello all - from Hatfield, Massachusetts

Post by George Crocket » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi Segovia_I_Ain't. Welcome to Delcamp. Med School definitely gets in the way of guitar! It's great that you are getting back to it now.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Hello from just over the river in Amherst! :bye:

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you want to find a teacher who will help you with ergonomically good left hand and right hand technique, as well as musical insight, give Scott Sanchez a call.

Send me a PM if you want other help. ;-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Segovia_I_Ain't

Post by Segovia_I_Ain't » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:53 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 pm
Hi Segovia_I_Ain't. Welcome to Delcamp. Med School definitely gets in the way of guitar! It's great that you are getting back to it now.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
Thanks, George! Just updated my profile. Will check out welcome page in detail Real Soon Now \!

Segovia_I_Ain't

Post by Segovia_I_Ain't » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:56 pm

lagartija wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:03 pm
Hello from just over the river in Amherst! :bye:

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you want to find a teacher who will help you with ergonomically good left hand and right hand technique, as well as musical insight, give Scott Sanchez a call.

Send me a PM if you want other help. ;-)
Hi Neighbor! Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Return to “Introduce yourself”