Buzzing at the saddle

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ButtChin

Buzzing at the saddle

Post by ButtChin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 am

Hello all,

I've recently decided to take on a challenge by making my own brass nut and saddle. The nut took a couple of tries but I finally have a good one. The saddle only took one try, but there is something that has been bothering me.

There seems to be a buzz that happens at the saddle on the open note and first few frets of the 6th string. It's only really audible when I pluck harder. I'm not sure what could be causing the buzzing, as the previous bone saddle I had was actually lower than the brass saddle.

My theories are that the angle could be messed up, the saddle might be rattling in its seat, or the string is somehow moving on the saddle to cause the buzz. It may be hard to diagnose the problem without seeing the guitar in person, but can anyone possible weigh in on this? Attached is a picture.

Thank you! :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chiral3

Re: Buzzing at the saddle

Post by chiral3 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:49 pm

My first thought is to check and make sure it's not the nut. Given the winding, nut or back buzz on 6 can sound like it's coming form somewhere else. Loosen the string and put a small piece of paper in the nut slot to both lift it and pad the string to see if it goes away.

If it is coming from the bridge side make sure the loose end of the string isn't vibrating against the back the tie block.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

mvp019a

Post by mvp019a » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:58 pm

If you end up needing luthier help, I can unreservedly recommend Sam Swank in Dallas. I am not sure where he is working now, but I am sure he can be found, and he is absolutely top shelf.
Mark

2007 Ignacio Rozas 1A, 2016 Mark Usherovich Traditional Classical, Prudencio Saez Model 34

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:34 pm

ButtChin wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 am

My theories are that the angle could be messed up, the saddle might be rattling in its seat, or the string is somehow moving on the saddle to cause the buzz. It may be hard to diagnose the problem without seeing the guitar in person, but can anyone possible weigh in on this? Attached is a picture.
Hard to say how snug a fit you have at the saddle by looking at the picture, but a thin coat of CA glue (on the saddle and dry before insertion) will add a micrometer or two and help snug it up.

Try seating the wrap in front of the tie block in a lower position.

Other than the buzz, how do you like the sound of the brass?

ButtChin

Post by ButtChin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:34 pm
ButtChin wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 am

Hard to say how snug a fit you have at the saddle by looking at the picture, but a thin coat of CA glue (on the saddle and dry before insertion) will add a micrometer or two and help snug it up.

Try seating the wrap in front of the tie block in a lower position.

Other than the buzz, how do you like the sound of the brass?
So far, I like the sound of the brass. I feel like it makes the guitar less bright, but also balances it and brings out the highs and mids a bit more, which is particularly good for my bass-y Ramirez R3. It all is a pretty subtle change. I think I may eventually try the brass nut with the bone saddle though.

jim watts

Post by jim watts » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:45 pm

If you put the bone saddle back in does the buzz go away?
It can be very difficult at times to isolate buzz locations.
How tight does the saddle fit? It should be lightly snug and not just drop in.

Return to “Luthiers”