[PDF] Marshall, Charles - I Hear You Calling Me - Guitar and Voice

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Adrian Allan

[PDF] Marshall, Charles - I Hear You Calling Me - Guitar and Voice

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:48 pm

I Hear You Calling Me was a British popular song published in London in 1908. The lyrics were by Harold Lake (a journalist writing as Harold Harford) and the music by Charles Marshall.

The song became a bestseller for the tenor John McCormack - it was his signature piece, and he recorded it six times in his life.

The words are poignant to all - it concerns somebody hearing the sound of a loved one's voice from beyond the grave. The song was based on the story of 16-year-old pupil teacher at an elementary school in Canterbury met a girl nearly a year his junior. Then followed three years of utter devotion as only the very young can know, but the girl died of consumption (what is now known as tuberculosis).

I used a score in Ab major, so took it down a semitone to G major, and tried to adapt it the guitar to the very best of my ability.
I Hear You Calling Me.pdf
This is one of the later recordings by McCormack

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Adrian Allan

Re: [PDF] Marshall, Charles - I Hear You Calling Me - Guitar and Voice

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:06 pm

People might also enjoy this version of the song.

The British TV programme The Good Old Days tried to recreate the performances of the Victorian age and the Edwardian age with as much authenticity and attention to detail as possible.

Here, the American tenor Robert White performs a splendid version of I Hear You Calling Me:

D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”