Hello from the Show-Me state

fwrobinson

Hello from the Show-Me state

Post by fwrobinson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:29 pm

I just joined, following my purchase of a vintage classical guitar that absolutely sounds beautiful for my budget. Takamine G126.

I have played Piano when I was young, and have been an adult student also at an intermediate level. Perhaps solely because of this I can read music, but struggle to have any speed in my music reading skills, so on the guitar I seemed to have progressed along fastest by discovering tabs, while still trying to pick up on the note reading as I go along.

I have been and on- off guitar player, and have just felt inspired the past six months or so to get back in. I enjoy alot of 70s pop music that has good lyric and feeling (e.g. Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, etc.), to include Rock, Country, and contemporary Christian faith music, Blues & Bluegrass. Along the lines of faith, I have been doing prison ministry for around 7 years and would love to to advance my guitar to the point that I could play some music in that setting on some occasions where it fits, or around campfire settings that I absolutely love. I also have on-order a Journey Instruments carbon fiber overhead travel guitar to try to break the hotel room loneliness when traveling. Just purchased an IRIG2, to try to also learn through online resources with an opportunity to mimic amp settings I would otherwise be clueless about, and I hope I enjoy the new pursuit and passion to add music back into my life.

I have enjoyed collecting a few guitars as much as playing. My guitars are an Ovation Legend LX1777 (purchased new), Sigma Anniversary Edition (D-10, a solid-wood edition made under C.F. Martins' Sigma Brand) in excellent condition as 2nd owner; a Taylor 814ce purchased new. I am really fresh to playing electric, but purchased new in 2006 a Gibson Custom Shop 68 F Cherry Sunburst Les Paul re-issue, and have a used vintage Epiphone Les Paul Supreme. I just purchased this past week a Jan 7, 1978 Takamine F-340SD Sunburst Acoustic "lawsuit" guitar in really nice condition, on the same day as my new classical Takamine G126 guitar.

I will be happy to keep my discussions limited to the topic of learning classical guitar on this thread. It is music I appreciate and look forward to advancing myself in learning.

simonm

Re: Hello from the Show-Me state

Post by simonm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Welcome to the forum.

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- To get started please take a look at the new member info here: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 28&t=36537

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- It is useful to put your location into your profile so that people can see where you are located. Just click on your name on the right and then on "edit profile". Please note that the forum is international and based in France so many members, myself included, will be clueless about the "Show-Me state" - I assume you mean somewhere in the USA.

Regards,

Simon

CathyCate

Re: Hello from the Show-Me state

Post by CathyCate » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Welcome aboard. I really like the idea of your sharing your music in prisons. I'm certain it will be greatly appreciated. Do let us know how it goes. Your all around guitar collection is an interesting mix. Many of us who play in diverse settings are dreaming of the day that all that equipment could fall out of one of our closets. :D
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Return to “Introduce yourself”