Right hand technique: a new perspective

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Soundminer

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Soundminer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Relax your shoulders, pull back your right arm a little bit, straighten your wrist more then the angle you have going now!

Can't you see your wrist is way too curved?

That blocks the right arm and shoulder from providing much needed counterpressure...and causes you to make tiny adjustments during play to try and be on time. You will never get there if you continue with this posture. You need the muscles and the weight of your arm and shoulder..the distance is to great like this.

That is why there is a gallop in your tremelo! your welcome...Now go try it and get that smug look of your face

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Soundminer wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 pm

..............your welcome... Now go try it and get that smug look of your face
John may, or may not, have welcomed your advice. Realistically I would guess that, as with mine, and others, it will be ignored.

However, I would hope that I offered my own in good faith, and without resort to gratuitously offensive comments such as the above.

Paul

Soundminer

Post by Soundminer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I hope he does welcome it, for his sake..and ours.

It's all in good fun Paul, we've all been around the block.
And you have to admit, he does look very smug at the end of those videos. It's almost a duckface for crying out loud.

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:15 pm

I confused Ortega's name - it is, of course, Scott.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:41 pm

I have refrained from commenting on this thread because it so odd and I didn't know quite how to interpret it...however from what I read the OP is trying to play around an old injury?

Anyway...The only advice I can give that I think will have an immediate affect to improve this issue is...

Stop trying to play this piece, or any tremolo piece.
Classical guitar teacher

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:13 pm

Quote by Ortega: My original discovery of 9-9-17, 10:45am central time U.S. works perfectly and shall stand forever! :)
To me this is a lesson that any discovery, personal or otherwise does not translate into an immediate ability to use the discovery nor does the owning of a ‘famous player’ guitar mean the new owner can play it at the level of the professional. It also seems that 37 years of incorrect playing technique can not be overcomed without long, slow, and methodological practice to retrain the muscles.
Every professional I’ve heard, every Master Class instructor and every teacher I’ve had all say, Slow Down’ until every note is perfect. Playing the same snippet over and over at the same speed seems to me to have simply reinforced the existing incorrect muscle memory.
Pretty much everyone has said ‘Slow Down’ and so far its gone on deaf ears! Nothing else to say.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 pm

I'd like to think everyone for their feedback and their comments.

I will be responding soon.

Yes, I have played with the metronome in all of the ways that is being recommended. The gallop has not been the result of rhythmic comprehension on my part.

The problem has been a technique one, which resulted in the gallop that you all have noted.

Thank you again everyone. I'm so grateful to all of you.

Your friend,

Scott😀

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:30 am

Check out what happened when I focused on ensuring that the a finger is completely limp *and kept in its naturally curved state* at all times, until the very moment of the pluck, at which time I only activate my tip joint, with that extraordinarily narrow/ tight/ immediate contractive trajectory that I've been talking about:

All parameters of the discovery are applied here, adding a focus on maintaining a natural limpness of the right hand fingers at all times. Especially with the finger that immediately follows p, or is used simultaneously with p, which ever the case may be.

robjh22

Post by robjh22 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:40 am

Ortega wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:52 pm
Here is the most important clip that I have ever made and the only one that really counts.

Well, thank you very much.

robjh22

Post by robjh22 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 am

Crofty wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 pm
Metronomes:

Since this is a thread by Ortega [from which he is conspicuously absent] I thought I'd start a separate discussion on players' views on using a metronome.
Anyway, new Fred starting soon.

Paul
I like the old Fred. (Rimshot)

I use a metronome only to be sure I am gradually speeding up on a fast piece. If you don't perform for or with others while a metronome is ticking away, where is the harm?

And this is one weird thread.
Last edited by robjh22 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

robjh22

Post by robjh22 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:51 am

Duplicate post. Apologies.

robjh22

Post by robjh22 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 am

ronjazz wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:02 pm
The metronome is a tool. Measuring progress is one of its most important functions, as well as forcing one to practice slowly and mindfully.
That would be me. Thank you.

I had a friend over who was trying to play with me, and I told him he was playing unevenly. He denied it. Only then did I turn on the metronome and have hm play his part alone, which convinced him, where I could not.

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:04 am

robjh22 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 am
ronjazz wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:02 pm
The metronome is a tool. Measuring progress is one of its most important functions, as well as forcing one to practice slowly and mindfully.
That would be me. Thank you.

I had a friend over who was trying to play with me, and I told him he was playing unevenly. He denied it. Only then did I turn on the metronome and have hm play his part alone, which convinced him, where I could not.
I played bass once in a band where the drummer refused to practice with a metronome as he didn’t want “a little box telling him how to keep time”.

You can imagine how that went. I wasn’t in the band for long!

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:59 pm

I'm not sure that a metronome will establish a sense if overall time, but it will help to control movement forms and help you learn precision of approach and stroke. I've had a tendency to rush a bit all my life, many many hours with the metronome have not cured that, only real awareness and listening can.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 am

Return to “Members' Announcements”