Right hand technique: a new perspective

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Ortega

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Ortega » Sat May 04, 2019 1:41 am

Nearly perfect now...😀

Invoking the symbiotic relationship between the lightness of the presentation of the m finger to its string (through the sole activation of the m finger's tip joint, as with all of the fingers) and the subsequent tightness/ narrowness/ immediacy of the m finger's tip joint's contractive trajectory during that joint's sole activation for the pluck itself...AND:

I think I have found the problem with the sextuplets now. By activating the m finger's tip joint slightly earlier and ensuring that the pluck of m literally causes the m finger to go "limp", the pattern becomes much more even, though it is still not perfect. It is close.

Same holds for all the fingers but due to m's extended relative length, in this context it works well to focus on m in this fashion....

Ensuring that this explosive event, which causes the m finger's string to be plucked, also literally simultaneously causes the m finger to enter a state of complete and total "paralysis" (complete relaxation) is a major focus here:

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Sat May 04, 2019 11:21 am

Ortega wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:41 am

Invoking the symbiotic relationship between the lightness of the presentation of the m finger to its string (through the sole activation of the m finger's tip joint, as with all of the fingers) and the subsequent tightness/ narrowness/ immediacy of the m finger's tip joint's contractive trajectory during that joint's sole activation for the pluck itself...AND:

I think I have found the problem with the sextuplets now. By activating the m finger's tip joint slightly earlier and ensuring that the pluck of m literally causes the m finger to go "limp", the pattern becomes much more even, though it is still not perfect. It is close.

Scott - it all *sounds* very profound but the reality is that it is absolutely impossible to apply any of your ideas [fanciful in my view anyway] when you are playing so fast all of the time.

How can your brain possibly get a successful message to a particular finger when that finger only takes a microsecond to act and is part of a reflex sequence of thumb and three fingers?

I really don't know what you don't get about S L O W practice - everybody who plays well, on any instrument, utilises it for goodness sake.

Also, to pick up on something else you wrote: you say that planting is forbidden and then attach a video which shows clear evidence of you planting m and a - to the extent that, as others have observed, they largely operate with a single action.

It's as if you don't actually study the videos of your playing yourself. Which is odd because I would have thought that that was the main purpose in you recording them.

Paul

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Sat May 04, 2019 4:05 pm

The sextuplets are now perfect, 5 different examples, all different takes!

It ONLY works with the application of the exact same trick that I discovered for the tremolo!

Begin bringing the a finger's tip segment in towards the a finger's string (not TO the string, but towards it) at the precise moment that P strikes its own note.

One would not think that this would be the solution, since the a finger's note is not played until 3 notes after P, but in fact it IS the solution!

All tenets of my original discovery stand. The tip joint does literally everything and the 2 larger joints must remain static or relaxed at all times, for all right hand fingers in both rest stroke and free stroke. All techniques, all scenarios, no exceptions.

Timing is everything, and in the case of both PAMI tremolo and PIMAMI  sextuplets, we must begin bringing the a finger's tip segment in, from fully relaxed out status, toward the a finger's string at the precise moment that P strikes its own string!:

I see now why Jeffrey Van teaches that we must be able to execute perfect sextuplets in order to have tremolo. 

Van teaches that we cannot have one without the other, and now I have discovered why that is the case!😀

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Tue May 07, 2019 5:17 pm

Asturias/ "Leyenda" triplets with "bicycling"!

I could never do these before!

Invoking here the "sticky piece of dust" lightness and tightness symbiotic relationship parameters and ensuring that there's an instantaneous sensation of "bicycling" with each finger ensuring that the largest segment of the finger kicks out away from the palm literally the moment that the pluck occurs and prior to proceeding on to the next right hand event!

All parameters of the original discovery stand!😀

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Wed May 08, 2019 1:32 am

The sextuplets were lacking in that last clip, but via the application of this "bicycling"/ instantaneous relaxation parameter, as marked by largest finger segment "kick out", away from palm, simultaneous with pluck (with ALL fingers) combined with the "lightness and tightness" parameters and invoking the symbiotic relationship that those possess, I do not believe that they are lacking here!😀:

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Wed May 08, 2019 3:44 pm

Several (lesser/ not famous players, on another forum) have said that I am clearly cheating, overdubbing the audio!😧

Edit: This accusation has come up once before, earlier on in the development of the discovery.

The editor that I was using to combine the clips did in fact put the audio out of sync...so maybe that's the issue.

Some simply can't believe that one can play by activating only the tip joints, even to bring the fingers to the strings. The fact is that one cannot play at a high level unless they're doing precisely that, and ONLY that.

My wife has said from the beginning "you are alone in this, Scott".  At first I didn't think she could be right, but it turns out that she absolutely is.

Actually I think that's kind of cool!😉

I downloaded a different editor and used that; plus new tremolo here. The audio is no longer out of sync and I don't think any rational person can accuse me of overdubbing this audio:

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Scott,

Have you seen this blog and video from Philip Hii?

https://philiphii.com/2017/09/an-effici ... e-stroke2/

Interesting that of the three ways he describes of playing free stroke the one he uses the most is from the fingertip - "I use all three strokes but my primary and default stroke is the third one, playing with the fingertip, because it is so economical and efficient."

Maybe you're not as alone on this as you think you are. :)

He also has an earlier blog which goes into a bit more detail - https://philiphii.com/2017/09/an-efficient-free-stroke/

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm

This is a new one for me but I think I'm having a touch of social media paranoia!

This has been an energetic thread with Scott posting regular updates which have generated plenty of responses and strong opinions from forum members. I post the comment above and it all stops!

Is it me? Or am I just being paranoid? Maybe, maybe not!

Anyway, Scott I hope you're ok. At the end of the day we're all just trying to play the guitar as well as we can.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:54 pm

DevonBadger wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm
This is a new one for me but I think I'm having a touch of social media paranoia!

This has been an energetic thread with Scott posting regular updates which have generated plenty of responses and strong opinions from forum members. I post the comment above and it all stops!

He hasn't logged in since May 08, so rest assured your May 10 post was not the cause of his absence from the forum; he hasn't even seen it yet.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:26 pm

:bravo:
guitarrista wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:54 pm
DevonBadger wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm

He hasn't logged in since May 08, so rest assured your May 10 post was not the cause of his absence from the forum; he hasn't even seen it yet.
Ah, thanks. Didn't think about that.

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:06 pm

Major additional parameter makes the discovery complete:

..."stabilizing pressure" and "earliness" parameters make the discovery complete and functional in all ways.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Google transcript for those like me who hate watching videos of people just talking when reading is faster (there is no playing in the video):
On September 9th 2017 at 10:45 a.m. Central time us I discovered that the tip joint is in fact responsible for all plucks - both rest stroke and free stroke - all techniques, and then on June 24th 2019 at 4:54 a.m. Central time us the discovery came together in complete and final form when I added the following parameters:

First of all, we bring the finger to the string solely via the tip joint’s contractive action together with simultaneous relaxation of the middle and large/main knuckle joints.

You must invoke what I call the earliness parameter, activating the tip joint far earlier than ever before thought necessary in order to ensure that neither of the two larger joints actively participate in bringing the finger to its string; this is solely the role of the tip joint.

Then once we're on the string and it becomes time to pluck the string we'll add a little bit of what I call stabilizing pressure from the large main knuckle joint. This stabilizing pressure is inferior to the tip joints contractive action during the pluck itself; the tip joint is the only joint that actively plucks the string while we have an inferior amount of stabilizing pressure to the large main knuckle joint.

Activate the tip joint with an extraordinarily tight or narrow or immediate contraction trajectory such that it's as if there's a piece of sticky dust we are attempting to fling this imaginary piece of sticky dust that's stuck upon the underside of our nail straight up so that would stick upon the underside of our plucking fingers large main knuckle joint. This only happens when we have a slight amount of stabilizing pressure from a large main knuckle joint and that stabilizing pressure is invoked only at the moment of the pluck itself.

Now there's a clear symbiotic relationship which exists between the lightness of the presentation of finger to its string and the subsequent tightness or narrowness or immediacy of the plucking fingers tip joints contractive trajectory.

Now the laws of physics and geometry dictate that in spite of the fact that we are attempting to direct the string straight toward the plucking finger’s knuckle joint, what in fact happens is the string interfaces with the plucking fingers tip or nail, such that the string becomes the subject of an opposing force not an engaging force therefore the string is directed down into the top the instrument just as we desire.

There is a clear neurological illusion which exist within the perspective of the very natural virtuoso; this leads the very natural virtuoso to teach the right hand technique of the classical guitar in a manner that is in fact contradictory to their own manner of personal execution.

Now the same technique holds for both rest stroke and free stroke the only thing that changes with rest stroke is the orientation of the hand such that the follow-through of the rest stroke is artificially terminated at the adjacent string.

This discovery represents the first ever complete and precise reverse engineering of the correct use of the right hand ima fingers for both free stroke and rest stroke - all techniques, all scenarios no exceptions and it will form the centerpiece of my coming method book which is now in the works.

One of the main reasons that I decided to upload this video is that I've been advised to lay down this marker so that I have a chance to present my findings to the public in my method book before anyone else steps forward and attempts to do so.

All of the classical guitar technique books and method books present the right hand technique rest stroke and free stroke either incorrectly or in incomplete fashion. As I said my findings represent the first precise complete and correct reverse engineering of the rest stroke and free stroke technique.

Now I've not invented anything it's nothing new all great virtuosos have used precisely what I've discovered naturally but without realizing it from the beginning.

Again, it's nothing new, I've not invented anything but I've been the first to successfully and completely precisely reverse engineer this so I'd like to be the first to bring this to the public and of course I want all teachers to immediately begin using this and all players.

It's the only way that we can use the IMA fingers for rest stroke and free stroke at a virtuoso level; there's only one way and this is it.
So we have a knuckle joint stabilizing pressure now (but definitely inferior to the tip joint business); the rest seems word for word the same as before.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 pm

It’s been ‘complete’ quite a few times now. I look forward to the next tweak that again makes it ‘complete’!

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:33 am

Further proof recorded today:

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 am

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 pm
It’s been ‘complete’ quite a few times now. I look forward to the next tweak that again makes it ‘complete’!
You have already received it. The video that I just created today, as posted above this post, confirms that my 37 year quest is now complete.

All of us are so very lucky to be in possession of this treasure, which I have slaved tirelessly for 37 years to unearth!😀

Return to “Members' Announcements”