Looking for string with fuller sounding E-1

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
wil weten

Looking for string with fuller sounding E-1

Post by wil weten » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:22 am

On my 63 cm scale cedar soundboard guitar, I've been using Savarez Alliance HT Classic, tension forte, long play, set 540 J, trebles alliance, basses HT Classic.
I prefer the sound of carbon strings above the Savarez carte rouge nylon strings I had before. I prefer a sound brighter than nylon, that's why I chose for carbon.

I'd like to find a solution for the carbon 541 J E-1 string that sounds a bit thin and a bit piercing to me.

What would be your strategy to find a fuller sounding highest string for my guitar? Perhaps you could even advise me a nice set of strings with smooth feeling bass strings and melody strings which sound both clear and pretty warm?

petermc61

Re: Looking for string with fuller sounding E-1

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:35 am

You need to look at other brands. Savarez make great bass strings (particularly the Cantiga) but I have never been taken by any of their treble strings.

Try, in order of increasing brightness:
- brighter nylon trebles e.g. Mari 100p or Augustine Regal
- Dogal Diamanté (go for strong tension)
- sweeter brands of carbons, eg Knobloch

Regards
Peter

Zen

Post by Zen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Aquila Alabastro
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:39 pm

I have a Manuel Rodríguez FF cutaway with dominating basses and weak trebles. I tried the trebles of the Savarez 500 ARJ set, which pruduced a better dynamic balance than nylons, but not a good sound. After that, I tried a treble set of CARBON LINE Rot (red = High Tension) together with cheap but good basses (OEM brand of RC strings RC10 / HT) and now it's perfectly balanced. Especially e1 is very assertive without the "plastic" sound of some brands. As a matter of fact, it's the loudest e1 I've ever heard on that guitar.
I don't know where you live: CARBON LINE is available at Schneidermusik, Germany or maybe you could ask the manufacturer where to get it in your country: https://www.kuerschner-saiten.de/

wil weten

Post by wil weten » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks all for your kind and informative replies. A lot of food for thought (and experiments).

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:19 pm

I do not think you will find a high E carbon string that is not thin and piecing. I have tried them all and have not found one,
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso,spruce/maple

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:56 pm

The Aquila Zaffiro is a good compromise...not quite carbon, not quite nylon sound, most definately brighter and the basses are warmer than most.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm

There is a reason why a lot of guys use carbon g's but not b's or e's. I think it's a common problem with the carbon strings. I expect lots of experimentation in your future.

Peter's recommendations are always a good starting place.
How strange it is to be anything at all.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am

I use Mari 100P B and E strings, Knobloch carbon G, and Savarez Cantiga basses. I find the Alliance B and E to be a little shrill. I also find the Cantiga basses to be more to my taste than the Savarez HT classic basses, although I still use those once in awhile, as I have a few sets of those left, but I find the Cantiga to be far superior, generally, with more punch, and brightness.

The only way you will know which sets are best is to try them. I would stay with HT because of the short scale, so you might want to try the Mari 200ph. You don’t want your strings to feel like noodles😬

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Quite a few strings have been mentioned and it would be costly to try them all. So could I suggest you look at the gauges initially.
A thicker string of the same type will give you a less bright sound in general, but will have a higher tension. If you're comfortable with it, a low tension B string could be used, especially on a shorter scale instrument.
Otherwise have a look at the E strings of the different brands mentioned to narrow it down; for example, your Savarez 540 E is 025, Knobloch 023, Dogal (mixed carbon/nylon) 030.
That's quite a range, and may give you an idea where to start.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

I've the Knobloch CX Medium Tension top E has a much warmer characteristic than most carbon strings - well worth a try.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”