Looking for string with fuller sounding E-1

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
wil weten

Looking for string with fuller sounding E-1

Post by wil weten » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:22 am

On my 63 cm scale cedar soundboard guitar, I've been using Savarez Alliance HT Classic, tension forte, long play, set 540 J, trebles alliance, basses HT Classic.
I prefer the sound of carbon strings above the Savarez carte rouge nylon strings I had before. I prefer a sound brighter than nylon, that's why I chose for carbon.

I'd like to find a solution for the carbon 541 J E-1 string that sounds a bit thin and a bit piercing to me.

What would be your strategy to find a fuller sounding highest string for my guitar? Perhaps you could even advise me a nice set of strings with smooth feeling bass strings and melody strings which sound both clear and pretty warm?

petermc61

Re: Looking for string with fuller sounding E-1

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:35 am

You need to look at other brands. Savarez make great bass strings (particularly the Cantiga) but I have never been taken by any of their treble strings.

Try, in order of increasing brightness:
- brighter nylon trebles e.g. Mari 100p or Augustine Regal
- Dogal Diamanté (go for strong tension)
- sweeter brands of carbons, eg Knobloch

Regards
Peter

Zen

Post by Zen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Aquila Alabastro
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:39 pm

I have a Manuel Rodríguez FF cutaway with dominating basses and weak trebles. I tried the trebles of the Savarez 500 ARJ set, which pruduced a better dynamic balance than nylons, but not a good sound. After that, I tried a treble set of CARBON LINE Rot (red = High Tension) together with cheap but good basses (OEM brand of RC strings RC10 / HT) and now it's perfectly balanced. Especially e1 is very assertive without the "plastic" sound of some brands. As a matter of fact, it's the loudest e1 I've ever heard on that guitar.
I don't know where you live: CARBON LINE is available at Schneidermusik, Germany or maybe you could ask the manufacturer where to get it in your country: https://www.kuerschner-saiten.de/

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”