Irregular Arpeggios

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
RenaissanceMan

Irregular Arpeggios

Post by RenaissanceMan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 pm

When am playing a piece and arriving at a chord which I want to play arpeggio, I ALWAYS play it
irregular the first time that I hit that chord. When I play it again immediately after that first attempt
it is almost perfect. I tried everything to see what I am doing wrong the first time (yes, I do planting my fingers before playing as I always do), but cannot solved it.
Any suggestions what I am doing wrong or are there some tricks to try?
Ramirez 1a 1979 cedar top

prawnheed

Re: Irregular Arpeggios

Post by prawnheed » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Practise it slowly so you get it right first time. Otherwise, you are essentially practising it “wrong” and the more times you practise it “wrong” the more likely you are to do it “wrong” the next time.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 pm

What he said. Also, you can try this: play just the arpeggio, perfectly regular. Then try to play it again, but add just add one note that comes before it in the piece. Then if you can do that, add one more of the notes before it. This works on the transition from whatever comes before the arpeggio to the arpeggio. Don't add more than just the previous bar max, when you do this. Practice this focused, slow enough to get the arpeggio correct.

EDIT: Forgot to ask - do you get the arpeggio correct the first time, if you play just it? This above assumes it. But if it is irregular the first time you play it even when you play it without the notes that come before it, then you have to get it regular by itself first, slowly.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

RenaissanceMan

Post by RenaissanceMan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Combining both the answer of prawnheed and guitarrista:

I think I am executing the arpeggio correctly when playing it as isolated chord, but the problem arises when I play it embedded in a piece.
So I think I have to practice it including the preceding measure and that preceding measure adding note for note.
I did that last advise already earlier but I was not convinced that that was the correct procedure to practice. But now, reading your advices
I will do this as good as possible.

davekear

Post by davekear » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 am

Yea, it's what your fingers are doing beforehand that's making the arpeggio more difficult than doing it by itself. So yes, practice the measure, or 1/2 the measure before the arpeggio with the passage. Also isolate and practice the arpeggio by itself.

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 pm

RenaissanceMan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 pm
When am playing a piece and arriving at a chord which I want to play arpeggio, I ALWAYS play it
irregular the first time that I hit that chord.
Nobody else seems to have this problem but I don't really understand what you mean.

If you are "arriving at a chord" then why aren't you simply playing a chord? Why do you want to turn it into an arpeggio?

Anyway, the answer to your basic question seems simple enough - since you are clearly aware that this is a persistent problem, just approach arpeggios slowly and with care in future. [Pretty much as you would drive a car towards a place where you have regularly crashed before....]

RenaissanceMan

Post by RenaissanceMan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Crofty wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 pm
RenaissanceMan wrote:
Nobody else seems to have this problem but I don't really understand what you mean.

If you are "arriving at a chord" then why aren't you simply playing a chord? Why do you want to turn it into an arpeggio?

Anyway, the answer to your basic question seems simple enough - since you are clearly aware that this is a persistent problem, just approach arpeggios slowly and with care in future. [Pretty much as you would drive a car towards a place where you have regularly crashed before....]
Simply because I find this sounding more beautiful at that particular place in the piece.Yes, I can simply just play the chord but then,for me,
it doesn't give that "something extra".

mainterm

Post by mainterm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 pm

RenaissanceMan wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Crofty wrote:
RenaissanceMan wrote:

Simply because I find this sounding more beautiful at that particular place in the piece.Yes, I can simply just play the chord but then,for me,
Have you tried writing in the arpeggio sequence? If not, consider trying that - include the RH fingering as well.

RenaissanceMan

Post by RenaissanceMan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:36 pm

mainterm wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 pm
RenaissanceMan wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Crofty wrote:

Have you tried writing in the arpeggio sequence? If not, consider trying that - include the RH fingering as well.
I am afraid that I do not quite understand this, can you elaborate somewhat more please?

Alexander Kalil

Post by Alexander Kalil » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Crofty wrote:
RenaissanceMan wrote:
Actually the problem is quite common - some chord shapes work well in isolation but cause difficulties in context, particularly at brisk tempi. I think guitarrista's suggestion above is the way to solve those issues. Else a refingering of the passage in question might help.

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 am

Alexander: I think you missed my point. What I didn't understand is why anybody would want to "play a chord as an arpeggio".

I think - having intermittently followed this thread - that it's possible the OP means he likes to spread chords, which is a different thing of course.

But really I'm still not clear and, quite obviously the approach to any problem - but particularly repetitive ones, as described - is always the same: slow down,

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”