Shure MV88 iOS microphone - Great Tool

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
edward_z

Re: Shure MV88 iOS microphone - Great Tool

Post by edward_z » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:12 am

Just FYI, a new model is already on the market, MV88+|

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Did you see it? How are the powering options now? - that was a weakness of the previous model...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:48 pm
Did you see it? How are the powering options now? - that was a weakness of the previous model...
The newer model can be powered by both Lightning and USB-C and ships with both cables. The drawback is that it no longer has the simplicity of a single unit that plugs directly into your iOS device. Now you have to deal with a bracket or tripod. Another plus in the newer model is a headphone jack that allows for monitoring.

I won't upgrade to the newer model, but if I was buying now I would choose it as it is a little more "future proof" than the Lightning-only model.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks for that info. Do you know by accident if the Iphone can be charged simultaneously via lightning cable with the MV88+ running on a power supply via usb c cable?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

barcod

Post by barcod » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:22 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:15 pm
For those of you, who need a tool to document their work without draging a lot of equipment around - if you are equipped with an iPhone (with a lightning connector) there is a great little robust mic on the market: Shure MV88 Mid-Side mic.

It works with the camera (in some kind of generic stereo mode) and with most recoriding apps including Shure Motiv app. But you get the most of it with the Shure app (free!) but you'll need iOs 11 for it to work properly (otherwise the mic goes in it's generic stereo mode).
If you can use the app fully, you can choose between different mic directivities, including a mono cardiod setting and a raw Mid-Side setting, which I find most useful if I want to work on the recording later in my computer.

Here's what it can (no EQ or compression or reverb or any other processing apart from dithering for mixdown to 16 bit):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mf364y0ghnjfp ... t.wav?dl=0

and here with a bit of shimmer from the Plugin Alliance Black Box plugin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ow47orh73ozbn ... G.wav?dl=0

The playing was done on Stenzel No1 (see here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=122476) and recorded with the Shure MV88 to iPhone 6s plus. You can airdrop it directly to the computer; so the whole process is very easy and requires no further connectors or adopters and no physical copying of the raw recording.
In principle, if you just want to document something, you can da the basic editing even in the iOs Shure app (trimming, fades, volume, even EQ and compression).

Quite a handy tool IMHO
Sorry, perhaps unrelated, but about the music you are playing... What would be the right path to learn to play something like this? Is this a certain palo of Flamenco?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:10 am

barcod wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:22 pm
Sorry, perhaps unrelated, but about the music you are playing... What would be the right path to learn to play something like this? Is this a certain palo of Flamenco?
Thanks for your interest ... I haven't studied flamenco in any systematic way, just playing by the ear...

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”