Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
soltirefa
Posts: 2564
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:59 am
Location: Southern California

Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by soltirefa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 pm

I saw this said about the D'Addario rectified trebles on Strings by Mail.

"The Rectified Trebles are preferred by many guitarists for their distinctive warm tone and lightly textured feel."

I had used rectified trebles in the past but never really gave them a chance because that rough texture turned me off. I decided to buy a set for my 11-string alto guitar because I thought it could use a string with a warm tone. I put them on about three days ago and sure enough, that rough texture was there in the beginning. But I have found that it goes away after a short time. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the string stretching out. I really like the tone a lot. They're my new favorite on this particular guitar.

es335
Posts: 1717
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by es335 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:33 am

soltirefa wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 pm
... But I have found that it goes away after a short time. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the string stretching out...
Most probably „hand resp. finger polishing“ I presume! :wink: :D

User avatar
Christopher Langley
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:57 pm

In my limited experience D'addario makes really nice recitifed nylon strings. I prefer their clear nylon, but their rectified are really nice too. They are so smooth that they almost make the clear ones feel sticky in comparison.
My name is mud.

sandgren
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by sandgren » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 pm
I saw this said about the D'Addario rectified trebles on Strings by Mail.

"The Rectified Trebles are preferred by many guitarists for their distinctive warm tone and lightly textured feel."

I had used rectified trebles in the past but never really gave them a chance because that rough texture turned me off. I decided to buy a set for my 11-string alto guitar because I thought it could use a string with a warm tone. I put them on about three days ago and sure enough, that rough texture was there in the beginning. But I have found that it goes away after a short time. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the string stretching out. I really like the tone a lot. They're my new favorite on this particular guitar.
That is so true - rectified strings are underrated. I have been on a string odyssee for some time and keep getting back to the Savarez Corum 500 PR normal tension set. The trebles have a full and natural sound which continues to amaze me. The Corum basses have that growling sound that I compare with old Segovia recordings - and they are so easy to vibrate. I also tried the Cantiga set with New Cristal, but I still like the 500 PR set more. I think also the 'growling' characteristic is more pronounced with the Corum set. At least, this is the result I get with my Casimiro Lozano double top guitars.
- Poul

Pede
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:01 am
Location: Friesland, Holland

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by Pede » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 pm

I agree that the rectifieds are underrated. They do sound more round to my wars, less harsh.
I prefer the savarez ones.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

RobMacKillop
Posts: 3997
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm

My favourite nylon strings (as opposed to gut) are the rectified Savarez 520B "White Card" low-tension set, or "Red Card" for medium tension. But, being a no-nail player, I'm particularly pleased with the traction I get from rectified strings in general.

Leo
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:45 am
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by Leo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm
My favourite nylon strings (as opposed to gut) are the rectified Savarez 520B "White Card" low-tension set, or "Red Card" for medium tension. But, being a no-nail player, I'm particularly pleased with the traction I get from rectified strings in general.
I also like the white card, the texture I like, but also with that texture comes a squeaky sound when you slide your finger along the string. This sound goes away slowly within a few weeks of playing, but for some people this is a big negative.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S
2002 Casa Montalvo, Spruce, Ziricote

sandgren
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by sandgren » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 am

Leo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 pm
RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm
My favourite nylon strings (as opposed to gut) are the rectified Savarez 520B "White Card" low-tension set, or "Red Card" for medium tension. But, being a no-nail player, I'm particularly pleased with the traction I get from rectified strings in general.
I also like the white card, the texture I like, but also with that texture comes a squeaky sound when you slide your finger along the string. This sound goes away slowly within a few weeks of playing, but for some people this is a big negative.
I never experienced the squeaky sound with rectified strings, only with carbon strings. I tried the D’Addario EJ45 with 3rd string of carbon, and I thought there was an animal in the guitar, until I found out it was my finger flesh sliding on the string :shock:
Perhaps it comes down to a matter of playing style - but I’m done with carbon strings.

Leo
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:45 am
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by Leo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 am

sandgren wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 am
Leo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 pm
RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm
My favourite nylon strings (as opposed to gut) are the rectified Savarez 520B "White Card" low-tension set, or "Red Card" for medium tension. But, being a no-nail player, I'm particularly pleased with the traction I get from rectified strings in general.
I also like the white card, the texture I like, but also with that texture comes a squeaky sound when you slide your finger along the string. This sound goes away slowly within a few weeks of playing, but for some people this is a big negative.
I never experienced the squeaky sound with rectified strings, only with carbon strings. I tried the D’Addario EJ45 with 3rd string of carbon, and I thought there was an animal in the guitar, until I found out it was my finger flesh sliding on the string :shock:
Perhaps it comes down to a matter of playing style - but I’m done with carbon strings.
Maybe squeaky is not the right word, more of an abrasive sound due to the rough texture.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S
2002 Casa Montalvo, Spruce, Ziricote

RobMacKillop
Posts: 3997
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am

Yes, rectified strings suit those nail players who pluck the string at 90%, or flesh-only players.

User avatar
Oleo
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:37 pm
Location: Vigo, Galicia (Spain)

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by Oleo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 pm

I have played many years with Savarez 520R. Good strings ... But after trying other sets, I think there are very improved nylons:

- Hannabach makes terribly good nylons (815, 825...), for example.

Actually, this nylon can be considered as a result of an "advanced rectified" process, because it's completely rounded (with maximum precision) and polished...

The feel is unbeatable. The sound - IMO -, too.

Another important option to consider - starting from rectified nylon - is the Aquila Alabastro String Set.

They are not nylon, really. This set is made with a material of its own... But its feel resembles rectified nylon with some notable difference, yes: It's infinitely better in all respects (IMHO, of course).

Greetings,

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Scania

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by joachim33 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:35 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am
Yes, rectified strings suit those nail players who pluck the string at 90%, or flesh-only players.
What does it mean to "pluck the string at 90%"?

RobMacKillop
Posts: 3997
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:45 am

At right angles.

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2792
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:43 am

I use the Savarez rectified trebles once in awhile. They tend to sound kind of squeaky at first, but I adjust my touch, and they get better then. They help me clean up my playing. And then, after I switch back to clear nylon, my playing is ultra clean. My daughter really likes the rectified due to their grippyness.

soltirefa
Posts: 2564
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by soltirefa » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Hannabach makes terribly good nylons (815, 825...), for example.
The trebles in the 825 series are the same as 815. Only the basses are different. And I totally agree, those are excellent trebles.

Interestingly, after having such good results with the D'Addario normal tension rectified on one guitar, I decided to put the same strings on another guitar. This time, however, they felt very tight and it didn't give me that warm tone that I got on guitar No. 1. I seriously wonder if they accidentally put hard tension (or ever extra hard tension) in my normal tension package.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”