New Schertler Tuning Heads!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Peter Frary

New Schertler Tuning Heads!

Post by Peter Frary » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:09 am

I finally swapped out the heads on my 7-shooter and they're butter smooth and surprisingly handsome for a basic model. Love the 18:1 ratio. Now I have to fix the heads on my 1992 Douglas Ching. The 90s era David Rodgers heads have several broken rollers and a stripped button. Image
I play a Cordoba Mini so I look taller on stage!

Marshall Dixon

Re: New Schertler Tuning Heads!

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 am

Very nice. I'm in the process of building a seven stringer and had been looking at the Rubner individual tuners. I've seen Schertler steel string individual tuners but didn't realize the made a nylon string model. I'll definately look at these. I'll want white buttons though.

Please, if you would, tell me your preferred string set. I'll be tuning DGBdgbd. 650 mm scale.

Thanks,
Marshall

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 am

Schertler only offers ebony (wood) buttons, albeit you have a choice between matte black, gold and silver for the plates. I like the Rubner heads but the plates are a couple mm longer so the spacing would be a bit tight for this guitar. I ordered the Schertler heads directly from Switzerland because they were willing to sell a 7-string set. The American dealers would only sell sets of six. The up-charge for the 7th head was $25 for a total of $150 USD shipped. Only took 3 days to make it to Honolulu!

I prefer D’Addario Dynacore EJP45TT for the lower 6 strings and buy a 10 pack of D’Addario .058 wound singles for the 7th course. I mainly use standard tuning with low B or C for the 7th course.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:08 am

Peter Frary wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:09 am
I finally swapped out the heads on my 7-shooter and they're butter smooth and surprisingly handsome for a basic model. Love the 18:1 ratio. Now I have to fix the heads on my 1992 Douglas Ching. The 90s era David Rodgers heads have several broken rollers and a stripped button.

What kind of 7 string is that? The nut appears fairly narrow, which I like, particularly with multi-stringed guitars.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Peter, thanks for the reply.

Altophile; the plans I have for a Russian 7 string guitar called for a 49 mm nut, which is about what I do for a steel string. I thought this was way too narrow and altered this to 55 mm and afterword found that the technique for this instrument includes thumb wrapped around neck.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Altophile, it's a Kremona CW-7 and, yes, it's a 55mm nut. It felt a bit narrow at first but after a couple weeks it feels fine and I can switch between a half dozen sizes of instruments without issue. I even wrote a review:

http://www.fraryguitar.com/classic_guit ... a_cw_7.htm

Return to “Public Space”