playing scales everyday?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
bwong

playing scales everyday?

Post by bwong » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi,
i had learnt classical more than 10 years and now studying performance level, i found that my technic and speed had no improvement for any performance pieces, especial allegro pieces, i had to play very slow at the beginning then increase the speed, someone told that guitarist should play daily scale to learn and improve guitar technics? is it corrected and should do everyday?
Last edited by bwong on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Hill performance 2012,

Rognvald

Re: playing scales everyday?

Post by Rognvald » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Scales are an integral part of my warmup before each practice session. They help position accuracy, coordination, speed, sound, and knowledge of the fingerboard. I devote about twenty minutes to scales every day. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Scales are good for all the things Rognvald listed. Also, pieces that use scales along with bass notes are very good for balancing the hand, pieces such as Dlugoraj's Finale or Milan's Baxa de Contrapunto. Working those up to a good speed will help you play Bach's faster pieces, and many others.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 pm

This is an impossible question to answer fully. It isn't so much THAT you do exercises, but rather HOW you do exercises. Merely playing scales isn't going to do much for you.

Having said that, I do practice "scales" daily. I may use some of the five patterned scales that keep the hand in one position, or I may connect them adding shifts. Or I may do chromatic scales. Often, I do various patterns on one string, a pair of strings, or all six strings. Sometimes I incorporate small shifts, or large shifts. What is important is that the patterns make use of all of the fingers, and are easy to memorize, or are deeply ingrained. Learning scales and patterns is important, but is a completely separate exercise. To work on speed or any technique, you must use patterns you know very well so as to give your undivided attention to the task at hand.

I spend a great deal of time playing slowly. Similar to what I stated above, playing slowly in and of itself isn't going to do much of anything. Rather, it is the vehicle from which I work: to refine movements, to use less energy, etc. Fast practice is equally important, but only if the ease of movement can be maintained. Speed can be pushed in short bursts of few notes. What is learned can gradually be applied to longer scale passages.
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 pm

It might be a good idea to break things up a bit when you play scales. Remember, you are not going to play scales faster, louder or with better tone quality than you can just alternating on one string. After that, your limiting factor will be how well you can cross from string to string: crossing exercises on open strings is useful. Usually, but not always, the left hand is not a limiting factor in playing scale passages. Students sometimes mistake the right hand not keeping up with the left hand as a possible left hand / right hand coordination problem. Studying with a competent teacher who can analyze your situation might be a good idea.

Playing bursts are good if you are ready for them. If you can't alternate continuously at 140mm (four notes to the click) on one string, bursts may not be the answer. It is possible to play very fast for eight or ten notes even with bad technique. You don't want to bake in bad habits. Again, seek a competent teacher.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Yes, you should. While doing this focus on tone production, economy of movement. The key is not speed per se but control.

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 am

Sigh... the whole Segovian idea of scale practice purely as a technical exercise again. The main reason to work on scales is that they are the building blocks of music. You learn your scales until you can play them backwards, forwards, upside down and with your head up your xxx because this enables you to play anything that pops into your head over any chord progression in any key.

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:57 pm

I saw this post on scales, where can I print some good long scales to practice, up and down the neck? I know I can google this and find a mountain of books on the matter, but is there a site, or is there somewhere on this forum we can print these someone has posted perhaps?? Thanks..

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”