Baroque Lute Scordatura

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Nephthysalis

Baroque Lute Scordatura

Post by Nephthysalis » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Can anyone help me understand how to change the tuning of my baroque lute? I know it involves changing a strings tuning to flat or sharp...

My method book shows some different tunings but it doesn't explain anything more. How do I translate what is on here on to my lute?

Pictures for reference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pzEtY0 ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pwwE9J ... p=drivesdk
Last edited by Nephthysalis on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pogmoor

Re: Baroque Lute Scordatura

Post by pogmoor » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:26 pm

As I understand it each picture shows the tuning of one of the bass courses below the sixth course. In each case the tuning of that course is an octave below the note indicated by the letter on the tablature line above. If I remember correctly the tablature letters on the lines indicate courses 1 - 7 (7 being indicated by a letter placed below the bottom line) and the subsequent courses are usually labelled: /a, //a, ///a, 4, 5.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:29 pm

Okay. Here goes...

The fretted note on the tab tells you which note you must tune the low bass note to, an octave lower.

So, in the first example, the fretted note is the second fret of the sixth course. The 6th course open is the note A, so the second fret = B.
Below the fretted note is the number 5. So, you tune that string to B.

The key of G Major has an F#, so we might expect a bass note to be tuned from F to F#. And that is what is indicated.
The tablature letter b is on the 4th course. The open 4th course is an F, so the first fret (letter b) is an F#.
Below the tab line there is the letter a with one "ledger line", indicating the 8th course.
Tune that 8th course to F#.

You see, none of the first six courses gets changed, just the low basses. The letters on the first six courses tell you which note to tune the low bass note to.

OK?

Nephthysalis

Post by Nephthysalis » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Thank you so much you two. That was... Simple. I feel stupid.

I was playing some simple pieces and was wondering why some of it sounded 'off'. Until I realised the tunings were different. Now it sounds 'right'.

Thanks

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Happy to help.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm

I also found it confusing when I first became interested in transcribing tablature.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”