"new" member

brad4d8

"new" member

Post by brad4d8 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi, I've been an inactive member for a while, mostly due to serious illness, so this is a reintroduction. I'm from Connecticut and have been playing guitar for almost 60 years, some of that time I would say I played semi-professionally, not classical, though. I do have the equivalent of an Associate's degree in CG performance, but have been playing mostly folk stuff since my illness. Because of some issues with my eyes, it is hard for me to read music these days, but I am about to receive a guitar being built for me that is based on Segovia's 1937 Hauser, so that has rekindled my interest in classical guitar. I guess if I have to, I can scan the pieces I want to work on and print them large enough so I can read them.
So, to conclude, greetings from Connecticut.
Brad

oski79

Re: "new" member

Post by oski79 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Welcome Back Brad!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:36 am

Hey Brad,

I totally understand. Some days the only guitar related activity I get is surfing the forum from bed on my tablet. Good to hear that you are getting active with your guitar playing. I also suffer from visual problems that make reading music, mainly chords, difficult. So I wish you all the best.

scott martin

Post by scott martin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 am

Hi Brad,
welcome to the forum

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Welcome Brad. I too had some eye issues awhile back. So I would photocopy music at 140% magnification. Two happy results: one, of course, was that I could see the notes, but the second was a bit unexpected. Since there was so much space between staffs, measures, notes, etc. it sort of tricked my mind into enlargening the fretboard. So everything seemed easier to play. Now that my eyes have settled back down, I can read regular scores, but if a passage is particularly difficult, I enlarge it as before and use it as an exercise.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
2018 Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundo flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Return to “Introduce yourself”