Left hand finger independence

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
andrew382

Re: Left hand finger independence

Post by andrew382 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Alexander Kalil wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:35 am
Andrew, a big part of the left-hand problems you are facing and the wrist alignment issues pointed out by Guitarrista is your guitar holding posture. From the video above it is clear that you're holding the guitar too far to the left and with the neck far too low. My advise would be to get yourself a guitar support, such as the Ergoplay, and position the guitar substantially higher and further to the right than it is now. Then, if you wish, post another video with yourself holding the guitar properly so that we can see if and where any left-hand problems still exist.

Look at how Guitarrista is holding his guitar in his avatar picture!
To be honest his guitar seems even lower than mine. Anyway I don't see why a slighlty raised posture would make a significant change. Look at Alen Matthews the guy from the first video. His guitar is just slightly higher than mine. But anyway...if you look in my videos the biggest problems are when the wrist is alligned not vice versa. This is quite intriguing...

andrew382

Post by andrew382 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 pm

I've noticed something that I thought I fixed and it's back. When pressing with the 1st finger the 3rd and 4th finger tend to make a claw and contract toward the palm. When doing something approximately or relatively fast you don't notice it but when fretting with the 1st finger really slow and letting it pressed while trying to relax the others and maintain a C shape the 3rd and 4th start twitching after 5 or 10 seconds as if they lost their patience and want to play.

Another thing that I've observed is that this problem was fixed in the higher positions but after trying to play in the lower ones and retrying the thing back in the higher it reappeared. I noticed that when playing in the first positions the 3rd finger has a natural tendency to get back to its natural distance with regard to the 1st after being released. However this causes an unnecessary motion as if you had to make an extension between the 1st and the 3rd even though every finger plays its own fret so to say.

Should I try to maintain the C shape of the left hand fingers at any cost or should I straighten them out if they don't play? With uncurled fingers I'm way more relaxed.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Andrew,

1. Your wrist is never aligned in the two videos, so not sure what you are talking about above when you say your biggest problem is when the wrist is aligned.

2. I think what Alexander is saying is that your guitar is too far to your left (our right as we look at the video). I didn't notice this before but your support leg (your left leg) is not pointing straight in front of you but is pointing at a significant angle to your left. So when you put your guitar on it, it is way off. Fix that and the wrist and it should make a huge difference.

3. My avatar picture is me playing a flamenco guitar, so the guitar is on my right (not left) leg; that posture has no direct relevance to yours. Also the shot is taken from a 30-35 degree angle rather than from the front directly; the guitar looks dead ahead because as I play it it is not parallel to my body but at that same angle as the shot. Check out my left wrist, though - neutral position despite fairly awkward fingering.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

andrew382

Post by andrew382 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:14 am

guitarrista wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:53 pm
Andrew,

1. Your wrist is never aligned in the two videos, so not sure what you are talking about above when you say your biggest problem is when the wrist is aligned.

2. I think what Alexander is saying is that your guitar is too far to your left (our right as we look at the video). I didn't notice this before but your support leg (your left leg) is not pointing straight in front of you but is pointing at a significant angle to your left. So when you put your guitar on it, it is way off. Fix that and the wrist and it should make a huge difference.

3. My avatar picture is me playing a flamenco guitar, so the guitar is on my right (not left) leg; that posture has no direct relevance to yours. Also the shot is taken from a 30-35 degree angle rather than from the front directly; the guitar looks dead ahead because as I play it it is not parallel to my body but at that same angle as the shot. Check out my left wrist, though - neutral position despite fairly awkward fingering.
I mean I perceive the tension when playing in the first position when the wrist is not so arched but rather closer to a straight one than in the higher positions where it is almost as arched as it can be. This means I can detach the 3rd finger more easily in the higher positions than in the lower. I don't know why.

The closer I get to the first position the harder I find it to lift the 3rd finger exactly above the string or above and somehow up that is towards the ceiling not towards the floor. When playing ascending it is almost impossible for me to hold the 3rd finger exactly above the note that it's going to fret to make the motion as economic as possible. The only way to do this is hold the fingers that don't fret notes straightened out and just the one that presses in a C shape. When the other ones come to play I form the C shape exactly before I must use them.

andrew382

Post by andrew382 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:17 am

I think I got it. It wasn't only the alignment and guitar position. I've recently discovered that you can lift the 3rd finger more easily if you only think about lifting the 4th one. Is this a wrong thing? They are served by the both tendon anyway. If I do this I can prevent the 4th one from going down and curling and I manage to keep it straight. However when the 3rd has to fret a note again the pinky curls. It's not quite...aesthetic...I don't know about efficiency.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”