guitar building video

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Ken Whisler
Luthier

Re: guitar building video

Post by Ken Whisler » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:21 am

Installing the bindings without bending them first would make me very nervous....
Ken Whisler, guitarist and luthier

Robert England
Luthier

Post by Robert England » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:50 pm

OMG! I had to watch this twice before I could believe what I was seeing.
Robert

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:33 pm

There was a Broom Hilda cartoon in the distant past where the punch line was "Skill, baby, skill." Paco has likely been using those methods since he was 13 or 14 years old having learned from his parents and possibly his grand parents. So maybe 40 years continuos work in a traditional shop with established methods.

Very interesting is the economical work flow. Consider how and when he puts the head plate on or when the bindings get trimmed or the no-nonsense approach to filling little gaps.

Ask on any forum about jig saws (aka scroll saws) and generally you will gets lots of people saying they are waste and you should get a bandsaw big enough that you need a forklift truck to move it and a concrete floor to support it. Yet one gets a lot of use in the video. (One of the French makers in a recent Orfeo magazine also had both a job saw and a wimpy little table top bandsaw).

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Ken Whisler wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:21 am
Installing the bindings without bending them first would make me very nervous....
That's the way I would do it if they were as flexible as that. No point in pre-bending them.
Historicalguitars.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:56 am

As far as I know installing without pre-bending is pretty standard in commercial Spanish construction.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:02 am

They are probably thin (maybe even 2 strips x 1 mm) or have been pre soaked in some glycerin solution. Not that I've tried but I'm pretty sure you couldn't glue rosewood bindings at 2 mm + without pre bending them.
Historicalguitars.

Ryeman

Post by Ryeman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:02 am
They are probably thin (maybe even 2 strips x 1 mm) or have been pre soaked in some glycerin solution. Not that I've tried but I'm pretty sure you couldn't glue rosewood bindings at 2 mm + without pre bending them.
In the video he is using two thin bindings. The inner one is light coloured. The outer one dark - probably rosewood. Difficult to estimate their thickness but I would guess about 1.5 mm each. So quite flexible...The outer one is actually a composite. It has a thin strip of light material (wood?) pre - glued to its lower edge. This provides the contrast/break between the guitar's rosewood sides and the rosewood binding.

Like many other processes in the video, the process of fitting bindings/purfling seems to have been reduced to the minimum number of actions required to get the job done up to a certain, reasonably satisfactory, level.

Alan

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:48 pm

I can't say I'm a fan of thin bindings on a big modern classical guitar. To my eye it appears a bit weak looking. In fact I like them to be at least 2.5 mm's, which gives a strong 'frame' to the soundboard. I don't bend 2.5 mm+ thick bindings though. On a black or rosewood binding I'll do 2 mm + 0.6 mm black or rosewood purfling veneer right next to it. In practical terms it looks just like a thick binding, then the rest of the purfling is thrown in for free!
Historicalguitars.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Ryeman wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 pm
Like many other processes in the video, the process of fitting bindings/purfling seems to have been reduced to the minimum number of actions required to get the job done up to a certain, reasonably satisfactory, level.

Alan
Absolutely. These guys have to feed themselves and perhaps the rest of the family too. I doubt they have charitable status. It's easy to take pot shots at these guys but they are just trying to make a living producing instruments that are more reasonably priced.
Historicalguitars.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:09 pm

I bought a Francisco Bros guitar, a few years ago - I had to send it back as the workmanship/finish was atrocious. I posted some pics on here, too:
https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 07&t=84804 I eventually got my money back, so not all bad.

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Return to “Luthiers”