Best introduction to Flamenco technique for a Classical guitarist?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
jmlineb

Best introduction to Flamenco technique for a Classical guitarist?

Post by jmlineb » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:28 pm

What is the best introduction to Flamenco guitar technique for someone trained in the Classical guitar? What books, recordings, videos, artists, and solos might you recommend? I know I'll never be an authentic Flamenco guitar player, but I'd like to add some Flamenco techniques and even solos to my repertoire. Very few artists seem to be able to do both well; Adam del Monte is a notable exception, as well as (but to a lesser extent) Pepe Romero. Thank you!

Ren Leblanc

Re: Best introduction to Flamenco technique for a Classical guitarist?

Post by Ren Leblanc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:13 pm

The ultimate artist is Paco de Lucia.

You can find tutorials on you tube for various technique.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:30 pm

Tutorial: The Juan Martin book is still the "Go to" for flamenco technique as far as I know, although the Gerhard Graf-Martinez books/ DVDs are decent.

Podcasts: Nuestro Flamenco from RTVE.es and available on iTunes - if you can speak Spanish you'll be ok with the chat and interviews. If not - like me - you just get it for the music and some background noise.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Oscar Herrero has a 3 vol. set of graded Estudios which helped me become the tiniest bit "conversant" in Flamenco. (I'm also a trained Classical guitarist with zero flamenco experience)

cheers!
dirck

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:54 pm

From Juan Martin, specifically "El Arte Flamenco De La Guitarra" (that's the 'Juan Martin book' people talk about, but he has others).

Also look up Oscar Herrero's and Manuel Granados's educational materials/books:

Manuel Granados: "Manual Didactico de la Guitarra Flamenca" (4 volumes I think);
Oscar Herrero: "Guitarra Flamenca Paso A Paso" (9 small volumes, I think);
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:27 am

For me these were good:
Flamenco Guitar Basic Techniques, Juan Serrano
Flamenco Guitar,Mariano Cordoba
The Flamenco Guitar, Juan Grecos

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 am

Flamenco Chuck has very good material available for free download on his website.

"Flamenco Expained" by Narezo Kai is very good

I like Juan Serrano's books

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:45 am

I know this is always said when people ask for book recommendations but if you can, try to have some face to face lessons, or at least watch some video lessons. It’s very difficult to learn flamenco from a book in my opinion. You need to learn the right technique to get an authentic sound and a book is limited in its ability to convey this. It’s much better to watch someone demonstrating it.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 pm

I highly recommend checking out Kai Narezo's "Flamenco Explained" website and book. The website is loaded with excellent tutorial and performance videos. Kai is a phenomenal instructor and the video production is top-notch. His system even has a starting section for Classical guitarists. Some of the FE videos are free of charge and are posted in youtube, so you can get a feel for the program.

Btw, Kai is one of the top flamenco instructors in the southern California area and he is a big part of the video production at GSI.

I use both the Juan Martin book and Kai's Flamenco Explained.

dlangmann

Post by dlangmann » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:46 pm

If you search for 'Orhan Anafarta', you will find a lot of flamenco information on Youtube and on his website. A lot of the information is free, and the rest is low cost which is periodically discounted even more. He shows you how to play PDL pieces, Panaderos, etc, well worth looking into.

dlangmann

Post by dlangmann » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Also, keep your internet radio logged on to flamencoradio.com to learn the music.

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:16 pm

jmlineb wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:28 pm
What is the best introduction to Flamenco guitar technique for someone trained in the Classical guitar? What books, recordings, videos, artists, and solos might you recommend? I know I'll never be an authentic Flamenco guitar player, but I'd like to add some Flamenco techniques and even solos to my repertoire. Very few artists seem to be able to do both well; Adam del Monte is a notable exception, as well as (but to a lesser extent) Pepe Romero. Thank you!
You cannot learn flamenco through a book. Start by learning solea compas (baile). This will help you to begin to develop a sense of compas. you can slowly begin to build up a vocabulary of compas and falsetas from here. I would seek out a reputable teacher either online or in person. By the time you're able to truly integrate great sounding flamenco techniques in your classical playing, you will already probably be a pretty good flamenco player. Listening is very important. Paco de Lucia (obviously), Tomatito, Niño de Pura, Vincete Amigo are all great modern players.There are others, but this is a good list to start with. You need to listen to be able to get the feel or swing of the genre. If you don't listen to it, you'll never sound anything remotely 'flamenco'. Flamenco is all about compas we're staying in perfect time or groove. Many of the techniques I just smoke and mirrors and not as difficult as they sound. Good luck and I hope this helps!
Graduate of Trump University School of Music.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:00 am

A classical professor who briefly did flamenco suggested Manolo Yglesia's book, it is very similar to classical guitar masters (carulli, aguado) methods. Check it out it's pretty clear and as far as I remember includes rasgueados formulas and tremolos. I just remembered I'm intrigued by some rasgueados so I'll check it out too.

It's called "El toque flamenco"
You're reading this.

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Sebastian wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:00 am
A classical professor who briefly did flamenco suggested Manolo Yglesia's book, it is very similar to classical guitar masters (carulli, aguado) methods. Check it out it's pretty clear and as far as I remember includes rasgueados formulas and tremolos. I just remembered I'm intrigued by some rasgueados so I'll check it out too.

I can't be said enough. Learning flamenco is an aural tradition like all folk music. You won't get anywhere in a book besides learning some rasgueado patterns (probably with bad technique). Playing some rasgueado patterns is no more playing flamenco than bending a string on electric guitar is playing blues. Ask any real flamenco player besides myself, they will tell you the exact same thing. 😀
Graduate of Trump University School of Music.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:29 pm

Ricflair wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:00 am

I can't be said enough. Learning flamenco is an aural tradition like all folk music. You won't get anywhere in a book besides learning some rasgueado patterns (probably with bad technique). Playing some rasgueado patterns is no more playing flamenco than bending a string on electric guitar is playing blues. Ask any real flamenco player besides myself, they will tell you the exact same thing. 😀

I never stated to "only learn by a book". He also requested bibliography and I replied him one I remembed which can be useful to him.
In fact the logic you use also applies to all disciplines. Classical Guitar for instance is something that it is done way better with competent professors rather than with only books... but it's better when you have both. So yes, best decision would be having a professor, if you can't afford that then maybe try watching tutorials and complement with bibliography.
Some user suggested in another thread that YouTube hosts some of Pepe Romero's rasgueado tutorials on basic formulas. You might also wanna check that, OP.
You're reading this.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”