Age changes one's tastes

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
kirolak

Age changes one's tastes

Post by kirolak » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:49 pm

I used to find Scarlatti one-dimensional when I was young, but now that I am getting old, I enjoy & admire his Sonatas, especially on the guitar. I also used to think he wrote too many notes :P
Does anyone else fund a radical change in their musical taste??

barry haywood

Re: Age changes one's tastes

Post by barry haywood » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:57 pm

I think that time changes one's taste. I began my journey on the guitar playing 3 chords to accompany my singing (1950). Fortunately for all,the singing has now ceased.
I moved on to more of a lead guitarist for Skiffle, then Rock and Roll. A brief pause then I began taking classical guitar lessons for the next 12 years or so. I became qualified and began teaching CG, and over the next 45 years I have become proficient on Banjo, Mandolin and Bass Guitar - I have given lessons on each of these.
As I review my personal tastes in music over this long period, I discover that I have had favourite styles of music at different times. I might favour Flamenco for a number of years, then drift to Bach arrangements for some time, even have periods of preferring solo CG arrangements of Jazz Standards and so on through many and various forms available to we CGists..
Next year I may well find my tastes have moved on - or back - to some other form.

What a joy it all is, and always CG is the basis for it all .
If you don't grow up, you'll never grow old.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm

My tastes were always varied but since learning guitar they just keep widening. Thankfully guitar is a very adaptable instrument. I've studied a little of everything and I can really appreciate the musical languange much more now.

I NEVER use music for background noise anymore. Only listen when I can give it the attention it deserves. Classical taught me that.
My name is mud.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:37 pm

"I NEVER use music for background noise anymore. Only listen when I can give it the attention it deserves." Chris

Not a believer in the subconscious effect of Music, Chris? Why not? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:25 pm

I find that the further I get into classical guitar, the more I am gravitating to its ends; baroque and contemporary. What I try to avoid more and more is the romantic Spanish pieces; probably because I have heard them over and over again to the point where they have become stale but also because I just don't like that romantic sound. Besides, every professional player's first CD is "The Romantic Guitar", or "Spanish Classics" or "Classic Spain", ugh!
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

CarlosSanJuanito96

Post by CarlosSanJuanito96 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:48 pm

Absolutely! When I first started out, I was daunted by the notion of playing pieces by Bach and, even when I had developed enough chops to perform, I tended not to be too drawn to his pieces. Now, with sufficient time after my humble beginnings, I constantly seek out the beautiful music of Bach for guitar. Can't get enough!

Don't hold on to your (maybe) misguided preconceptions!
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand trapped in awe, is as good as dead."

-Albert Einstein

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 am

Hmmmmmm, my tastes varied, but I think it had little to do with my age. I started out playing Trombone when I was 12, loved to listen to most types of music back then but my favorite was hard rock, and heavy metal. I started to play guitar when I was 17, and got into playing hard rock and metal, all while still playing the trombone aswell. I got into jazz in my late teens, played in a jazz combo. When I got to university, I studied trombone, but still played a bit of guitar. After university, I got into bluegrass, and country for a few years, and changed focus to classical guitar when I was 27 (I think) and I never looked back. I still like to listen to eighties metal, jazz, and other genres, but as per what I play, my focus is on classical guitar, playing music from many periods.
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 am

Rognvald wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:37 pm
"I NEVER use music for background noise anymore. Only listen when I can give it the attention it deserves." Chris

Not a believer in the subconscious effect of Music, Chris? Why not? Playing again . . . Rognvald
I can just appreciate it so much more greatly when actively listening and I listen and play so much that when I'm not.. I want a break from all the noise. haha.
My name is mud.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Heck, my taste in music changes on a daily basis.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

Return to “The Café”