In the market for a 13 course or more baroque lute

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
2lost2find

In the market for a 13 course or more baroque lute

Post by 2lost2find » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:21 pm

I officially give up... trying to build my own lute was an expensive mistake. So I'm looking for a used lute. Minimum of 13 courses, with at least 11 on the fretboard. I'd like to keep the shipped price below $2000 if possible.

2lost2find

Re: In the market for a 13 course or more baroque lute

Post by 2lost2find » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 pm

Ok, I threw my tantrum and then decided I'm not giving up. Nevertheless I am resigned to it taking a lot longer than i initially thought, so I am still looking to pick up an instrument to play in the meantime. If anyone has something they want to dump just drop me a line...

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:53 pm

You could get the Luth Doré Baron model for about that price. Failing that, search for Wayne Crips lutes for sale. Good luck!

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:58 am

I've been eyeballing those, Rob. Question for you since you've owned one. I saw a review that said their 13 course models have narrower spacing between the courses than what is typical for a baroque lute. True or false?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:33 am

Narrower than the typical BL as made today, but historically within the boundaries of surviving bridges, albeit at the narrow end. Some people with smaller hands prefer the narrow gauge, but after a while I found it annoying - I have very large hands. I then made it all single-strung, much easier to play. But eventually I sold it and bought an 11c with much more comfortable spacing for me.

LLD lutes are well made, with excellent craftsmanship, but they are aimed at guitarists: heavy bodies and high-tension strings. They can be played with nails, and in that case the narrower gauging makes sense. With that in mind I would say they are the perfect BL for talon-weilding guitarists.

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:14 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:33 am
Narrower than the typical BL as made today, but historically within the boundaries of surviving bridges, albeit at the narrow end. Some people with smaller hands prefer the narrow gauge, but after a while I found it annoying - I have very large hands. I then made it all single-strung, much easier to play. But eventually I sold it and bought an 11c with much more comfortable spacing for me.

LLD lutes are well made, with excellent craftsmanship, but they are aimed at guitarists: heavy bodies and high-tension strings. They can be played with nails, and in that case the narrower gauging makes sense. With that in mind I would say they are the perfect BL for talon-weilding guitarists.
That makes me a little nervous; I prefer instruments with wide string spacing. Anyway, as of yesterday evening I struck up a dialogue with a luthier who makes a student line, and so far I like what I'm hearing there. It's less money than the LLD, and the wait is only a few months. Probably an 80% chance at this point that I'm going to bite.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Good. In the meantime, keep working on your own lute. Good luck with that.

kefroeschner

Post by kefroeschner » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:42 pm

This may not work for you but I also wanted, craved, a big deep bass lute -- theorbo maybe -- but found that the long length of the bass strings on the extended neck was no longer necessary once wound strings were invented (ca. 1750?) My current project is to convert an Oud (the Arabian predecessor to the lute ('l'oud in French)) to a Baroque 10 course lute -- twelve strings, some of which at the bass end will be doubled or perhaps tuned as minor /major intervals or triads, depending on the piece. The Oud as bought has a neck about 1.25" wide at the nut -- with twelve strings! Accch --- those guys must have really skinny fingers. So I broadened the finger board to 3.6" with string spacing as in a classical guitar. Scraped off the goofy looking 'moustache' pick guard, as I intend to play with fingers not plectrum. Added onto the tuner box as well so as to accommodate the wider fingerboard. The basic instrument is well made from Indian Rosewood and fine-grained silky (spruce?) top and sounds superb. Very much bigger sound than my CG's. It is of recent make, from Pakistan. I got it on the bid site for $44 - free shipping.

So, it is not a $1,200 luthier masterpiece but it will let me find out, relatively easily and cheaply, if I like this.
1977 Asturias AST 60, signed by M. Matano
1979 Kazuo Hashimoto C-30
1970's Shinano No. 55
1970's Grand Shinano GS 150
1970's Matsumoku 'Lyle' C-640
1971 CONN C-20
'De Gama' No. 5102, signed
Dean Espana
Ibanez AEL 4012S 12 string
Several Dulcimers in work

kefroeschner

Post by kefroeschner » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:59 pm

One other thing -- it was only $44 because it had the headstock broken off and a big crack in the body.. Both easy fixes with Titebond III and zip-ties, tape , etc.
1977 Asturias AST 60, signed by M. Matano
1979 Kazuo Hashimoto C-30
1970's Shinano No. 55
1970's Grand Shinano GS 150
1970's Matsumoku 'Lyle' C-640
1971 CONN C-20
'De Gama' No. 5102, signed
Dean Espana
Ibanez AEL 4012S 12 string
Several Dulcimers in work

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”