guitar comparision

Guero

guitar comparision

Post by Guero » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm

For a guitar comparision I wanted to upload two simple recordings of two of my guitars. But it seems to be way more difficult than I thought due to all the rules on this forum...
So I ended up creating an account on soundcloud..
I just put my Zoom H4n on the table and pressed the start buttom without bothering about miking or settings or stuff like that .
Funny that the guitar I thought I liked more soundwise now on the recording turns out to sound
weaker on the recording and vice versa.
I'd be interested in hearing which one you like more!
It's "Güerojens" on s..cloud.

Greetings, Güero.

joachim33

Re: guitar comparision

Post by joachim33 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 am

Hi Güero,

I had a listen. Based on the recordings, I prefer guitar B by a long way. Guitar A sounds empty in comparison, at least for that piece. You might want to experiment with strings on the A, I think the midrange could do with a boost.

I am curious on details, guitars and strings used.

But then it depends on what you are doing. If you are a hobbyist, playing for your own enjoyment I would go for the guitar that gives you the best sound from the players position. For that reason I went with a cedar over a spruce top last summer. The cedar sounded better when I was playing. When the luthier I bought it from played it, the spruce might have had a slight edge.

J.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:53 am

What rules are stopping you?
Classical guitar teacher

Guero

Post by Guero » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:22 pm

I don´t know what "rules" exactly, but somehow I wasn´t able to put these snippets here on the forum...
For what reasons ever. Maybe m just too impatient:)

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:00 pm

It's important to recognize that some guitars record better than others, and guitars sound different to the player than to the listener. Also remember that recording equipment/methods greatly influence how a guitar might sound. I've experienced hearing a guitar in a recording, then playing the same guitar in person and being stunned by how different they were. Just like in photography, one can easily manipulate reality through an audio recording. This is why purchasing a guitar based on recording alone can be very risky.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Guitar A has a more introspective sound and in some ways I felt it showed a better range of interpretive nuance in your playing. Guitar B has a more resonant and lively sound, however this seemed to colour the sound with a slightly 'twangy" character. Did you use the same strings on each guitar?
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:31 pm

I would go for the A. Not as loud as B but with a better separation. And the basses are nice...
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:58 pm

About the only thing I would be comfortable saying is that the B recording sounds much louder than the A recording on computer.

Guero

Post by Guero » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Yes, in a way it is unfair to keep the mics in the same position with different guitars. The distance may be for the benefit of one guitar but to the disadvantage of the next guitar depending on where the sweet spot is.
As for the strings I don't know exactly. At least hard tension carbons, I usually can't remember it exactly.
But interesting perceptions :)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”