Preludie G major Bwv 1007

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Pacho-fernandez

Preludie G major Bwv 1007

Post by Pacho-fernandez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:56 am

Dear all,

Would any expert in Bach let me know of the best transcriptions of 1007? I play it long time ago in D maj but I notice different fingerings and bass notes ( eg version played by Ana Vidovic). Particularly I am intrigued by the last measures starting in C natural and ending in D (2 higher octave) before the end. In my transcription it is played with an open A string (A C, A C#, A D, A D# and sofort) up to the Dmaj cord, Dmaj6, Dmaj4 and final Dmaj.

Thank you

celestemcc

Re: Preludie G major Bwv 1007

Post by celestemcc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Take your pick, frankly. Many editions, many approaches. Some are spare, like Koonce, which hew close to the cello version; some very elaborate with added basses and chords, like Barrueco's. Have you listened to cellists play it, as well as guitarists? This could inform your opinion as to what approach to take. Some editions favor a campanella approach -- very guitaristic -- the sparer ones keep closer to the way a cello would play it. Most editions are in D but a few are in C, another consideration. But I emphasize, listen to both cellists and guitarists play the Suite. Yo Yo Ma, Casals, Misha Maisky, Peter Wispelwey all have very different interpretations (to name but a few).

For what it's worth, I used the Iceland Guitar School version in D, and have altered the fingering here and there to my liking; and I've borrowed elements from Koonce's edition. Considered choice on my part. I don't think there's any one way to play it but there's lots of opinions, all to be considered!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Pacho-fernandez

Re: Preludie G major Bwv 1007

Post by Pacho-fernandez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi

Yes I have heard many versions in cello. Haven’t heard the Barrueco version though. I will look for it. I don’t know either the koonce’s version nor the Iceland guitar version in D. I downloaded one from internet years ago, the one I play now.

Thanks for the tips

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”