A preset for CG compression?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Julian Ward

Re: A preset for CG compression?

Post by Julian Ward » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 am

I think compression has ruined all of our conceptions about how recorded music should sound in general. The actual aim of compression now is solely to maximise the potential volume of a track to make it really loud. What I find far more useful for classical guitar is to just manually go through the track and reduce any nasty spikes and perhaps raise anything that didn't quite come out loud enough but it takes sone careful listening but then you are in control and not the software. As mentioned above, eq should be mimimal.
Classical guitar teacher

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:07 am

Julian Ward wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 am
I think compression has ruined all of our conceptions about how recorded music should sound in general. The actual aim of compression now is solely to maximise the potential volume of a track to make it really loud. What I find far more useful for classical guitar is to just manually go through the track and reduce any nasty spikes and perhaps raise anything that didn't quite come out loud enough but it takes sone careful listening but then you are in control and not the software. As mentioned above, eq should be mimimal.
True!
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:53 pm

I also feel manual editing is a better option if it's enough to solve the problem. The choice of compressor may also be important.

More and more, though, I agree with Robin that the best approach is to keep working towards a good performance and recording and minimise the editing and tweaking.

Making different mixes for different uses used to be common in pop, club mix, radio mic etc., but for CG the only value seems to be music for sync. This needs to be more controlled than usual. But the music editor will deal with this issue unless there's a real problem. However. if a CG track is intended specifically for radio I can see a case for a little more compression than usual.

One issue is the lack of visual interest for recorded music. In a live performance we can see the player and follow wide dynamic changes quite easily, but too wide a dymnamic range can be disturbing for a domestic recording. I think perhaps this is part of the reason why older pre-digital recordings can seem less demanding on the ear and more comfortable, rather like old film compared to brutal hi-def. There's something comforting about a high noise-floor and early-onset overload, where digital can become a bit of dynamic roller-coaster ride.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi,
I perfer, as every guitarists prefer, no compression.
I was trying to figure out how to achieve this, and then found at a certain distance, the sound become more even in terms of dynamics. It depends on the microphone but I like about 30-40cm from the sound source.

You can get more of this effect if you get even closer, but it will become as unnatural as over-compression.

When I use compression nonetheless, I use it very sparingly, at about 1:1.5 max for just enough to cover the extreme attacs.

For flamenco, I use an onboard mic (iRig Acoustic) and again 1:1.5 max to cover extreme attacks.

Kl3tz

Post by Kl3tz » Wed May 01, 2019 11:38 pm

A little compression is appropriate to give the listener better access to the small sounds. But it shouldn't change the dynamics of the recording by introducing 'pumping' or making the sound too dense. I use a ratio of 1:1.25 or 1:1.5, just enough to kick in. And a slightly delayed attack and sustain. Otherwise the effect becomes too aggressive. You can also experiment with using a track compressor AND a master compressor, so in two stages. And I have found the result to be much better using a multi-band compressor over a simple compressor.
Yamaha G245s
Ibanez AEG 10N II BK
Ibanez A300E-TCS
Okay Unknown
ESP JR-208 8-string
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic
Yamaha RGX 121

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”