Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/24 Etude - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
josefmazan

Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/24 Etude - Video

Post by josefmazan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi everybody,

Study 24. The last one.
Today, I have finished with recording all 25 studies op.60 by Carcassi. I don't put the playlist here, as it is forbidden by the rules, but you can find it on my youtube channel.

Let me say a few words about this opus.
All the voices are written as for a singer. Try to sing everything. Soprano. Bass.
The technique: it is obvious, especially after arpeggio studies, to state that Carcassi often used a repeated stroke with one finger. Very often with a finger, at the soprano. Often, the bass lines are to be played by a thumb.
It opens possibilities in leading of the voices. It can ensure the freedom of voices. It can get closer to a piano voice leading.
But this limits the technique. So, because of that, it rarely opens to tempos over 132. Maybe Study No.7 is an exception, maybe some others. But generally, it shows that Carcassi never aimed to be the fastest guitar virtuoso of his time. And that is also, why his op.60 is considered a set of pre-intermediate guitar etudes.
But, one should definitely play them all, as it enriches the technique greatly. And, it could solve a lot of problems you will later have with 12 studies by Villa-Lobos.

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Smith

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/24 Etude - Video

Post by Smith » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:07 am

Thx for another nice video! I really really like seeing the score at the bottom so I can follow along as you play the piece—it helps immensely.

Not the most musical or lyrical of Op 60 is it?
Maybe I would change my mind and it would grow on me as I studied and practiced it. I still only know 1,3,4,5,6 and 19. I’m having trouble motivating myself to learn new pieces in Op 60.

Will look for your YouTube channel. Thx Joe for posting.

josefmazan

Post by josefmazan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:35 pm

thanks

Thorn Hill

Post by Thorn Hill » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:58 pm

Beautifully done, Josef and I agree with Smith. It is good to see the score at the bottom. I am not very familiar with this piece from Opus 60, so I am glad for the chance to know it better!

Oudeis

Post by Oudeis » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 am

Nice to see you have a playlist for the entire opus. I'm starting on a few of his studies it and will be very useful. Thanks.

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”