Reverb pedal?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Sebastian

Reverb pedal?

Post by Sebastian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:41 am

Greetings, I was wondering how common or acceptable would be to use a reverb pedal (or other effects) on classical guitar. This is specifically in a setting were I posses an electric guitar amp which does not have reverb knobs.

I'm not expecting a very good sound overall mainly due to the fact it would be using an electric guitar amp...

And also, in a second question, which other effects should be applied in such setting. I know the best would be to get an acoustic guitar amp but this is not the case, just not possible.
Cheers.
You're reading this.

sxedio

Re: Reverb pedal?

Post by sxedio » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:12 pm

The zoom acoustic pedals would be suitable for this, such as A2, A3, and whatever the latest one is, they are really multieffects units that can do reverb and if I remember correctly you can specify the output to be compensated for an electric amp. Boss also has some acoustic multieffects pedals, and there are other options out there.

This works well in a band, it will be less subtle in a solo classical context especially if your audience expects the classical sound.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:44 pm

sxedio wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:12 pm
The zoom acoustic pedals would be suitable for this, such as A2, A3, and whatever the latest one is, they are really multieffects units that can do reverb and if I remember correctly you can specify the output to be compensated for an electric amp. Boss also has some acoustic multieffects pedals, and there are other options out there.

This works well in a band, it will be less subtle in a solo classical context especially if your audience expects the classical sound.
Yes I have a Zoom pedal, but it's an electric guitar one... a G1 in fact. I remember many years ago one professor used that same pedal on many shows. Although he used a classical guitar with electornics in it, still sounds somehow nice. Of course it has a sound of direct-in line instead of the traditional condenser microphone because well, he's usting direct in for the pedal of course. Could someone use a pedal effect with a condenser mic? For recording maybe but for playing live?

Here's a video I found of the teacher I mentioned above. He's more of a jazz guitarist rather than classical, but I remember that use of the pedal.
You're reading this.

LK51

Post by LK51 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:44 pm

I don't perform live, but I do record some. I have a TC Electronics "Hall of Fame" reverb pedal that I've used for few years now with my steel string acoustic guitars, and it has an awesome sound. Recently began playing nylon string again after many years away. Plugged my Cordoba Orchestra into it soon after acquiring and it sounded every bit as good. Just remember that no effect pedal can sound good with a poor input signal. If plugging in directly does get the sound you're after, consider a good preamp or DI box.
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra
1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e

LK51

Post by LK51 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:47 pm

I don't perform live, but I do record some. I have a TC Electronics "Hall of Fame" reverb pedal that I've used for few years now with my steel string acoustic guitars, and it has an awesome sound. Recently began playing nylon string again after many years away. Plugged my Cordoba Orchestra into it soon after acquiring and it sounded every bit as good. Just remember that no effect pedal can sound good with a poor input signal. If plugging in directly does get the sound you're after, consider a good preamp or DI box.
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra
1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e

eno

Post by eno » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:35 pm

If you really want a good sounding reverb good a good sounding CG then just any pedal will not work. I've been experimenting with reverbs for years and tried many. The best one I found is a convolution reverb Logidy EPSi. that's actually the only convolution reverb pedal on the market. It makes minimum distortion on the sound so you get an almost perfect reverb hall effect. You also need a good audio amp. Anything lower quality than that will give poorer sound but whether you are still gonna like it or not depends on your level of tolerance :)

I tried "Hall of Fame" before, it was not bad, but the EPSi still sounds better for me, more "natural" so to speak.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:54 am

eno wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:35 pm
The best one I found is a convolution reverb Logidy EPSi. that's actually the only convolution reverb pedal on the market.
I didn't know.
Would a Mooer Radar loaded with an ir reverb from Audioease freebies work for this?

If it would then that is my thing.

eno

Post by eno » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Tonit wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:54 am
I didn't know.
Would a Mooer Radar loaded with an ir reverb from Audioease freebies work for this?

If it would then that is my thing.
I don't know, you can try it
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:42 pm

Maybe you can have an ear on the reverb of the new L.R.Baggs pedal range. They're specifically designed for acoustic guitars. I've never heard the reverb so far, but the quality of other Baggs pedals (e.g. my Venue DI) is amazing.
Nevertheless, in my opinion, a reverb effect should never be operated before the preamp to avoid the tone crumbling away. If you insert it at your amp/mixer (ideally parallel), you're not determined to a pedal anyway, because you can use any kind of 19" unit as well.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”