Help Needed for Recording(s)

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Rognvald

Help Needed for Recording(s)

Post by Rognvald » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:37 pm

As a confirmed Luddite, I need to have a simple option to record music for prospective jobs. Since moving to the Tropics, I no longer have a "local reputation" where auditions/music were not necessary since my playing was well known. The last time I did that was in the '90s with a trusty cassette recorder and a tape. What should I use that is functional and inexpensive? Thanks for your replies. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Julian Ward

Re: Help Needed for Recording(s)

Post by Julian Ward » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Rog. Best bet is a small portable recorder such as those made by Zoom or Tascam. They have built in condensor mics and make perfectly acceptable stereo recordings. Expect to pay around £100. (UK price). Very simple to use.
Classical guitar teacher

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Julian Ward wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 pm
Hi Rog. Best bet is a small portable recorder such as those made by Zoom or Tascam. They have built in condensor mics and make perfectly acceptable stereo recordings. Expect to pay around £100. (UK price). Very simple to use.
Hi, Julian,
Is this a cassette recorder? Thanks, Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:25 pm

Agree about the Zoom, I have a H4n and it's simple to use and makes decent recordings. Digital files are produced. Check my recordings posted in the Member's Compositions section.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:36 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:25 pm
Agree about the Zoom, I have a H4n and it's simple to use and makes decent recordings. Digital files are produced. Check my recordings posted in the Member's Compositions section.

Thanks, Riff!

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Another vote for a zoom.

They even have one that captures 4k video that I have been looking at. Wouldn't THAT be nice? All in one hd video and sound. I personally find recordings more pleasant if there is an accompanying video.

I just need to rob a bank or get a real job. (The zoom is not over-priced. I'm just broke.)
My Recordings

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXjqRtpseK-33zafCSUfVPpFWHgyh-LZ

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Zoom H1 is probably all you need, but also put thought into the recording environment. Freely available software is OK to make mp3s to send to people.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 pm

Agree with Zoom portable recorder. My Youtube channel (search for my name and classical guitar) has recordings with a single Neumann KM 184 plugged into a Zoom H5. The audio files are transferred by the SD card onto my laptop into Reaper recording software for light EQ and digital reverb plus combining with video. Relatively cheap and very easy.

You may want to look at Audacity which I think is free audio software and perhap easier to learn. Also, the Zoom has built in mics so no need to use an outboard mic unless you want to up the quality. And there are much cheaper small-diaphragm condenser mics than the Neumann if you look.

KP

Portuguese Carulli

Post by Portuguese Carulli » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:32 pm

theres any low cost option with quality , regarding these kind of recorders ?

franks59

Post by franks59 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:49 pm

Well, if you've been used to the quality of a cassette recording and are only looking for something "functional", you'd probably be satisfied with the sound from a laptop's built-in mic, if you have one or your phone's mic.

Frank

Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:57 pm

Rongvald,
Rather than buy something that you may not use after you establish your reputation why not hire a studio to make your audition recording? If you come prepared It shouldn't take more than an hour.
If quality isn't an issue there are many free audio programs available that can be used on your computer. I use Audacity. I know of others as well. It has a shallow learning curve compared to other programs I have used.
At first I used a single and cheap($30) USB microphone plugged directly into my computer. The quality is at least as good as an audio cassette. It really is easy to use and has an online manual.

Now I use a Focusrite Scarlet 2i/2 and two small condenser microphones, AKG C1000 with one microphone pointed at the 12th fret and the other microphone pointed toward a far corner of the room. I get a nice round sound without having to add reverb or any other effect.
If you're using a computer to post here and you upload your music to this forum I'm sure you have the skills needed to successfully use the method I described.

I have an H2 zoom that I rarely use anymore. You can most likely get a good used one on an auction site.

Portuguese Carulli

Post by Portuguese Carulli » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:05 pm

not at all... the soundcard is horrible (stock) from the laptop , so the sound will be allways horrible.
The smartphone has better quality but is still far from the real sound ou similar... (sounds also cheap)

I was thinking about the options above but cheaper , like chinese (?) , something similar to Xiaomi quality but cheaper than the zoom´s , yamaha, line 6 etc etc

Portuguese Carulli

Post by Portuguese Carulli » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:18 am

it can be also a cam ..

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”