La Bella Rectified Low tension

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

La Bella Rectified Low tension

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 am

Finally went and tried them out...I drank the kool aid...

My guitar does sound better, Ramon is right.

Oddly enough I think these La Bella don't even feel that loose because the sizes of these strings are wider, the high e for instance is thicker than my usual Aquila Nylguts. That being said, they feel easier to play and the warm and wimpy sound of the nylon sounds good with the darker warm timbre of the Aquila basses.

I've got half a dozen sets of nylgut basses to burn up before I consider anything else, so it's low tension for me for awhile...one set left, then on to mediums which I don't think are much more tension than the lows...interesting...

Very good intonation on these trebles...and I think the lower tension actually results in better pitch at the 12th fret and beyond because I'm not pinching the string off with my finger as hard when I get to the upper registers, less bending of the string although it is in fact looser and more supple.

Very interesting...all this time I thought I needed that tension to get more pop from the top and I was wrong. These strings actually feel a bit denser and firm than the moderate tension D Addario Pro Arte rectified...go figure.

My mind isn't settled for long term use, but I think I will always have a few treble sets on hand. less tension, less fatigue, less tension in the hands, it's certainly logical.

es335

Re: La Bella Rectified Low tension

Post by es335 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:38 am

There is no better string for intonation than a rectified string. This had been done to gut before to improve their much weaker intonation and was introduced by Savarez if remember well to overcome ovality and diameter fluctuation Problems of Nylon trebles. Nice trebles anyway.

tonygr

Post by tonygr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:13 am

I think Ramon has the right take on string tension. Also, Ron Fernandez writes about this in his article: "Some thoughts about the projection and fullness of guitar strings" located on his website http://fernandezmusic.com/DanielMariStrings.html.

Interesting comments about the La Bella light rectified nylon trebles. I have used those trebles for several years. They have great intonation, durability and tonal characteristics, both warm and clear without getting glassy. Also, I agree about playing in the upper range, the tonal and pitch qualities remain consistent. So much so that it even effects choices about how to write for the instrument.

These strings (LaBella R-N L) are in fact thicker than D'Addario Pro Arte Rectified Moderate tension. The LA Bella's are measured: .028; .032; .040. The D'Addario EJ29 are measured: .027; .031: .039.

Also, both D'Addario and Savarez use .028; .032; .040 for their normal tension dimensions. But, at least in this instance La Bella calls that 'light' tension. In some of their full sets La Bella will identify these measurements as medium (they don't use the term 'normal').

Like many, many guitarists I have learned the hard way that more tension does not equate with more volume, better tone quality or better control.

Occasionally someone will comment about strings used by Paco de Lucia and I don't have any special incite on that except to say that he was using some kind of lower tension strings. I use Paco as the example because I know that high tension strings will not respond with that kind of clarity at those speeds. Playing down near the bridge gets the right hand the necessary control to play very fast, but the string response is that of a low tension string. Try doing those speeds with high tension strings and the point is most clear.

Anyway, those are my observations, for what they're worth. So...enjoy your new strings I think they are a great choice

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Agree! Rectified trebles are way under appreciated imo. They are clearer than nylon in my experience and seem louder, but probably is just my imagination. Lower tension is the way to go.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm

When I look the choices of La Bella strings at StringsbyMail, I only see "Rectified Nylon Singles," no sets. Can you tell me what the sets are called?

Alytw

Post by Alytw » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 pm

LaBella RN-L is the low tension treble set. I use the medium tension from SBM. Classical strings-LaBella, and the rectified are in the lower right on my screen.

Alytw

Post by Alytw » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 pm

duplicate

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Alytw wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 pm
LaBella RN-L is the low tension treble set. I use the medium tension from SBM. Classical strings-LaBella, and the rectified are in the lower right on my screen.
I see them now. Thanks.

tonygr

Post by tonygr » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Kintla wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:02 pm
Agree! Rectified trebles are way under appreciated imo. They are clearer than nylon in my experience and seem louder, but probably is just my imagination. Lower tension is the way to go.
Hi again...
The man who was promoting the then new La Bella Argento Pure Silver (I can't remember his name - my apologies) pointed out that the medium rectified trebles yield higher tension measurements than the 202 clear nylon strings of the same dimensions. You can see the measurement comparison on the La Bella website.

I cannot find the tension measurements for the rectified nylon light tension trebles on the website. I wrote to La Bella to ask but did not get a response. However, it is reasonable to assume that the tension is higher than the tension on the 202 clear nylon of the same dimensions (.028; .032; .040 - these are included in the 2001 Classical light tension sets).

I have to say that the 202 nylon is quite beautiful and dependable (I have used the light and medium versions) - whether it is better than the rectified trebles in terms of the LISTENERS' experience is a different question.

When it comes to measurements of their strings no company out there does it anywhere near as well as D'addario! For a generation now they have provided specific measurements on the packages and on the website. La Bella's strings are first class in every way but their information is difficult to sort out (and their packaging with plastic beads and mylar are even worse). Savarez is no better on this kind of information, but they are at least making progress with measurements on packaging of their newer lines - but NOT on the 520 series - where they use their famous rectified trebles.

OK...enough from me. Thanks for reading.
TG

tonygr

Post by tonygr » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi again...
After these several months I'm curious to know how you like the La Bella light tension rectified nylon trebles.
Thanks.
TonyG

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:42 pm

For me, am pretty sold with rectified trebles. I believe it is the purity of the sound, (intonation) that resonates with me. Have them on several of my guitars and have no complaints. Will be interesting to see if/when Aquila gets their "sugar" trebles sorted out. But for now, rectified nylon is the way to go imo. I've been using EXP (D'Addario) medium basses on one guitar, so far I have no complaints, the tension is lower which for me and this guitar, it works.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”