What kind of songs can one play on a Classical Guitar?

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
holabuster

What kind of songs can one play on a Classical Guitar?

Post by holabuster » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:27 am

Hey guys, I'm beginning Classical Guitar next semester and I was wondering what type of songs are playable on a classical guitar. Obviously, there are the Bach and Spanish pieces. But what about pop, blues, and country? What genres can be played?

I guess my question is basically why are acoustics and classical guitars used for different genres and can they cross over?

Thanks!

CPA

Post by CPA » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:06 am

Hi Holabuster,
You'll soon find out that this old guy knows less about music than anyone so take my comments simply as being interested in what you ask. Although one does not often see a classical guitar in a jazz group or country band due to its inherent limitations on volumn, its set up not readily accomadating strumming, etc. I have heard from my own college professor some of the most astounding jazz, rock leads, and contemporary pieces you will hear anywhere from anyone. He has a Star Spangled Banner arrangement that will make what to you stand up and salute, if you know what I mean. The instrument itself, the discipline in technique, the limitless color of the muscians skill as well as the broad range of the types of music learned (chords, scales, jazz progressions etc) presents no limits other than the muscian's own ability. It is nice from time to time to hear an electric guitar or bass rip a piece or, down in south USA, I'm really amazed that some country acoutic players can make a guitar walk, talk, cry and dance a gig at the same time. But in the final analysis, there is nothing quite like hearing a Bach piece played on a CG nor nothing quite so rewarding than playing one of the masters yourself. So...... don't be hesitant or think you are missing out on something. There is a world of wonder to discover in CG ... you just have to passionately go get it.

Good luck in school ... an education what a great opportunity .. don't waste it

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:53 am

There are some non-classical players who play classical guitars, like Earl Klugh (jazz), Willie Nelson (country) and Muriel Anderson (fingerstyle).

You'll find classical style transcriptions for everything from the ragtime of Scott Joplin to various pop hits.

Don Moje

Post by Don Moje » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:56 am

Hello,

I think that a classical guitar is suitable for almost any kind of music. However, it is a good exercice to learn to play classical music, no matter whatother music you may like.

Sting plays often somekind of classical guitar, i e nylon strings, with very nice results.

:guitare:

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:58 am

If the Kronos Quartet can play Jimi Hendrix on cellos and violins, then I say anything goes on a classical guitar. For a great example of what can be done in a different genre, check out Charlie Byrd's jazz albums. I believe he played a Hauser.

Allan

slipz

Post by slipz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:50 am

Blues has a neat voice on a classical guitar - The bee sting vibrato takes on a whole new dimension and hammers sound a lot more ...... well classy - String bends work Ok for half step moves but wailing bends feel a bit out of character - All the double stop slide stuff actually sounds better than on a steel string - Blues (especially country style) is traditionally played on small body guitars like 00 and parlor models which come real close to a lot of classical body styles

Of course the technique has a few differences - I don't see a lot of classical fellas doing thumb wraps - LOL

Playing good music is always the goal and getting there is always the fun

Try the Atkins diet ..... plenty of Chet with every meal

shamel_jij

Post by shamel_jij » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:57 am

hey ...i know some rock songs...nice songs!!....you can start with this :
<< *** copyright link removed *** >>

short and perfect!!

kylekoch

Re: What kind of songs can one play on a Classical Guitar?

Post by kylekoch » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi hola buster, Jazz goes very well on the nylon string, many big names do or have in the past. eg Kenny Burrell, Earl Klugh, tons of great latin Jazz things. Classical guitar got me into jAzz and now back into Classical music, they complement each other IMO. Any well written peice can be interpretted on a Classical I think. Many of the old Jazz standards sound just beautiful on nylon.
kyle

CliffCornwelS

Post by CliffCornwelS » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:37 pm

JQ. wrote:There are some non-classical players who play classical guitars, like Earl Klugh (jazz), Willie Nelson (country) and Muriel Anderson (fingerstyle).
Jonathan Butler is another interesting fingerstyle guitarist from South Africa that is similar to Earl Klugh, but with more diverse rhythmic elements incorporated in his playing.

Henry DuMay

Post by Henry DuMay » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:38 pm

Hey guys, don't forget about the great Charlie Byrd.
Jazz guitarist who played on a classical guitar using
classical guitar technique.
There are many CD's available... he mostly played
with his trio...drums and his brother on bass
(the old upright bass).

sandinojones

Post by sandinojones » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:53 pm

Anything sounds great on a CG in the right hands with the right temperment. Besides all the wonderful things in the 'canon' (and what a wonderful, diverse canon this is, BTW- what other instrument in the classical world can boast such a wide variety of music) CG is cool in all kinds of other areas:

-Chet Atkins took to Spanish guitars, especially in his later years because they better fascilitated his fingerstyle approach.

- John McLaughlin had a cool project in the ealry '90s involving his brand of Jazz via his modified CG run through a midi set up. Can't wait to hear more experimentation with this sort of thing.

- Open tunings rule on a CG with fingerstyle playing. Tune to DGDGBD and see if you can figure out (by ear, it's so easy) the Linus and Lucy theme from "Charlie Brown Christmas". It's simple, fun and unlocks a cool open tuning.

- Indie rock player Eric Bachman from "Crooked Fingers" (A favorite band of mine) often plays a CG. Saw him do a solo acoustic show here in Chicago last year where he did a bunch of his songs accompanied by his cutaway, amplified CG tuned to DADGAD. Sounded so rich and awesome and he was able to get all these really nice harmonies and simple counterpoint with what is really a pretty simple technique.

Just a few favorites that come to mind.

DD

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”