Selling our guitars: whimsy vs Machiavelli

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ernandez R

Re: Selling our guitars: whimsy vs Machiavelli

Post by ernandez R » Sat May 18, 2019 1:50 am

So, took a top and back set over to the shop where I have two of my guitars hanging in the display cabinet I built, just to show the sisters what I was doing next and decided to leave them there and they wrote up the note. Thought it was worth a try...

HR

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm

So cute

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Matthew Masail wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm
So cute
I'm greatful the ladies can spell ;)

I told them I would give them $300 for any guitar that gets commsioned. I won't hold my breath...

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sun May 19, 2019 12:31 am

ernandez R wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 pm
Matthew Masail wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm
So cute
I'm greatful the ladies can spell ;)

I told them I would give them $300 for any guitar that gets commsioned. I won't hold my breath...

HR
the more exposure the better I think. perhaps a little note about the type and origins of wood would be nice? ( if you have any spruce without mold discoloration :desole:) I like your ideas with the wood and glass cabinet.... the local music store here are good friends of mine (I do all their repairs and setups) so I might just copy your idea. too bad I live in the middle of no where... !

Do you remember that music night thing we mentioned? it's happening at the end of the month, one of my student (much older than me) is arranging it. some music teachers and players will come, and about 30 people tops in total. I'll give a short recital with my #1 of course and let others play it. it'll be cheese, wine, and music, one of my favorite wines is made by a guy who runs a small privet winery, turns out he and his son play guitar and he'll be coming too, fun fun fun :D

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sun May 19, 2019 5:00 am

Ha, the blue discoloration is a feature, not a bug. It's going to be a highlight of all the top tier Three Rivers Guitarras instruments. Oh wait a minut, I was told the blue is a fungus introduced by the spruce beetle decimating our forests, so what do you know it's a feature from a bug ;)

I really thought I would just roll with it...

Congrats on the music event coming together. Let us know how it goes! Heck, live stream the event! It would be so cool to kick back here with a glass of wine and listen to your presentation and playing from half the world away. All the cool kids will be doing it, oh wait, we are the cool kids, building our own guitars and playing them, exposing others to a new musical culture and perhaps infecting them with the desire to own one of our special guitars!

So far I haven't seen a disadvantage to the cabinet and origanlly thought I would hang it in a guitar/music shop when the idea poped into my head. The hanger I come up with turned out to,be great as I really was hung up trying to think of a way to support them that wasn't the usual headstock clamp thing you see.

And you are right about the note describing the wood etc, only so many hours in the day.

HR

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:00 am
Ha, the blue discoloration is a feature, not a bug. It's going to be a highlight of all the top tier Three Rivers Guitarras instruments. Oh wait a minut, I was told the blue is a fungus introduced by the spruce beetle decimating our forests, so what do you know it's a feature from a bug ;)

I really thought I would just roll with it...

Congrats on the music event coming together. Let us know how it goes! Heck, live stream the event! It would be so cool to kick back here with a glass of wine and listen to your presentation and playing from half the world away. All the cool kids will be doing it, oh wait, we are the cool kids, building our own guitars and playing them, exposing others to a new musical culture and perhaps infecting them with the desire to own one of our special guitars!

So far I haven't seen a disadvantage to the cabinet and origanlly thought I would hang it in a guitar/music shop when the idea poped into my head. The hanger I come up with turned out to,be great as I really was hung up trying to think of a way to support them that wasn't the usual headstock clamp thing you see.

And you are right about the note describing the wood etc, only so many hours in the day.

HR
Three Rivers Guitarras....! I like it! got a label done my self with the help of a dear friend, now I need to find some decent place to print it on acid free paper with long lasting ink or somthin... :| not really looking forward to that research .

I'll stream it.... but you'll need to be up at like 3am and watch people eating cheese most of the time ! lol
We are definatley the cool kids,no doubt. I already have a few possible commissions (or buyers of guitars ready made), guitar #1 is very responsive, people are very inspired when they play her. She has something going on at 440hz or 800hz or something so I will have to do some resonance tuning before I'll call her done, which I guess is a must anyway if you make truly responsive guitars where you can actually hear these things quite clearly.

Yeah, who wants to do marketing when you can be working wood.... :bye:

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu May 23, 2019 5:27 am

The paper I used was nothing special, acid free, partchment, Strathmore artist kind.

Ink was standard out of my printer but water proof kind as I use it for aviation manitneance documents and it needs to be permanent etc. I made it up in my CAD program cause it was easiest.

I just used a 3M glue stick, it's PVA I think. I know some use HHG for labels and I thought about it but just went with somthing easy. The product I use has proven to be durable in all conditions, I have glued covering with it on model aircraft for thirty years without fail in all weather outside; save for longevity but only because I haven't been around over 50 years ;)

HR

Forgot to add- Anyone feel free to correct my Spanish grammar ;)

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri May 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Friction pegs might take some getting used to but should work fine on a classical guitar. Just don't make them out of boxwood (Buxus), no matter how gorgeous it looks.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:27 am
The paper I used was nothing special, acid free, partchment, Strathmore artist kind.

Ink was standard out of my printer but water proof kind as I use it for aviation manitneance documents and it needs to be permanent etc. I made it up in my CAD program cause it was easiest.

I just used a 3M glue stick, it's PVA I think. I know some use HHG for labels and I thought about it but just went with somthing easy. The product I use has proven to be durable in all conditions, I have glued covering with it on model aircraft for thirty years without fail in all weather outside; save for longevity but only because I haven't been around over 50 years ;)

HR

Forgot to add- Anyone feel free to correct my Spanish grammar ;)

image.jpeg
That's good to know about the paper and ink, thanks. I think ordering it printed from the printer would cost less than trying to find water proof ink, so I'm going to look into that, but it's good to know I don't need to over think it.

P.S, if I may say unless you ARE Spanish Alasken made sounds a whole of a lot cooler to me.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat May 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Three Rivers Guitarras doesn't work in either English or Spanish. In Spanish the noun would come first "Guitarras Tres Rios" and in English when a noun (Rivers) acts as an adjective it should be singular. "Three River Guitars"/"Three River Guitarras". I have never heard of a "Flameca" guitar.

p.s.(Yes, I do understand the grammatical argument that "Three Rivers" is a name and should be treated differently but it would still sound odd).

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat May 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Matthew Masail wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm

P.S, if I may say unless you ARE Spanish Alasken made sounds a whole of a lot cooler to me.
I agree. :mrgreen:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun May 26, 2019 8:31 am

For anyone from Spain or south thereof anything Alasken would probably sound frozen ;)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun May 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Since we're nitpicking - isn't it "Alaskan"?
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun May 26, 2019 2:17 pm

simonm wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:08 pm

...in English when a noun (Rivers) acts as an adjective it should be singular. "Three River Guitars"/"Three River Guitarras".

p.s.(Yes, I do understand the grammatical argument that "Three Rivers" is a name and should be treated differently but it would still sound odd).
I live near the confluence of three rivers; The Rogue, Applegate and Illinois. Many businesses in the area call themselves "Three Rivers This" or "Three Rivers That." I worked at Three Rivers Community Hospital for awhile.

Three River doesn't sound right. But I can't think grammer before a plural cup of coffee. :D

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun May 26, 2019 3:30 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:17 pm
Three River doesn't sound right. But I can't think grammer before a plural cup of coffee. :D
You could call yours Three River coffee if you used water from all three rivers in it ;)

Return to “Luthiers”