Alternative tuning of 8 course lute?

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Movitz

Alternative tuning of 8 course lute?

Post by Movitz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Being a guitarist now preparing for the arrival of my first lute, an 8 course ordered from Le Luth Dore, I'm thinking about the tuning of the lute. Third course is supposed be tuned 'a' I understand. But part from it probably being an abomination to the purist, and the fact that I will not be able to play from standard tabulature (which at present is not at all essential to me, as my lute project is about my own transcriptions from clavier and guitar scores) - are there any other disadvantages tuning third course 'Bb', thus keeping the intervals the same as on the guitar? To me it seems that just as on the guitar it's unproblematic tuning the third string down a semi-note and then using a capo on third fret, in order to play it like a lute, it would be unproblematic on the lute tuning the third course up a semi-note - from 'a' to 'bb' - in order to play the first six courses exactly like the strings on the guitar. Or am I way off track, here?

RobMacKillop

Re: Alternative tuning of 8 course lute?

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Do whatever you like. It's your life. Your lute. But don't expect lute players to give it a second look. That is probably is of no consequence to you, so there is no problem. Enjoy.

Movitz

Post by Movitz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:35 am

Thank you Rob! You seem to understand where I come from... I have thirty something songs I play on the guitar (classic style) as accompaniment to my own singing. Tuning the lute first six in the same intervals as the guitar will spare me a considerable amount of time. Not least as I can do many of the songs in Eb just as well as, or even rather than in original C or D.

I will certainly practise the lute with correct tuning as well. Somewhere down the road I want to play from tabs. But for this specific project and for the nearest future I will probably tune third course up a semi.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something...

Now I'm just impatient to get my LLD lute...

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:58 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 pm
Do whatever you like. It's your life. Your lute. But don't expect lute players to give it a second look. That is probably is of no consequence to you, so there is no problem. Enjoy.
+1) :ouioui:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

Movitz

Post by Movitz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:16 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 pm
In july I ordered a Gallilei renaissance lute from Le Luth Dore - that I have had recommended at this forum - and got it a couple of weeks ago, more than two months earlier than expected! Santa (Miguel at LLD) really didn't drag his legs :D Having no earlier experience with lutes I have nothing to compare with, but it's a lovely, beautiful and really well built instrument, so I'm truly happy! At first I tuned third course Bb to be able to play the first six like a guitar. After some consideration and being a little analytic about it, of course I'll tune it properly. Realised that I have so much technique practise to do that getting used to the slightly different tuning is really nothing in comparison. A wonderful new world to explore!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:27 pm

That's great news. Have fun with it!

Movitz

Post by Movitz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:31 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:27 pm
That's great news. Have fun with it!
Thank you Rob! I just wish I didn't have to go to work everyday...

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Hey, I just noticed that you've already received your new lute from LLD. I am so glad that you are pleased with it! Enjoy getting to know it -- it really is a beautiful instrument, with a gentle and lovely sound world. I know you'll have fun with it. Cheers!

Movitz

Post by Movitz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 pm
Hey, I just noticed that you've already received your new lute from LLD. I am so glad that you are pleased with it! Enjoy getting to know it -- it really is a beautiful instrument, with a gentle and lovely sound world. I know you'll have fun with it. Cheers!
Thank you! Really fantastic that I could get it delivered this soon. I really love the lute. Picking it up is like finding a baby on my lap. Just wish I had more time to get us used to each other. It will take its time... and I must confess I didn't realise that playing the lute is such a difference technically to playing the guitar. At the same time, the challenge makes it all the more enticing and interesting! Wow!

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”