humidity

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
chimera

humidity

Post by chimera » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:41 pm

hey guys, I was wondering if you use a humidifier like the "oasis humidifier" and then used some sought of disc that could block the sound hole with the humidifier in it, will it do the same job as just using the humidifier normally but storing it in the case?

My question is due to the fact that I use a guitar support and don't want to take the thing on and off all the time in case it damages teh finish.

your thoughts?

Derry

Post by Derry » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:21 pm

interesting question,,

I use an Oasis in both my CGs but they do spend their not playing time in their case,, would think if some sort of plastic cover is used to close off most all the sound hole the humidity would remain mostly in the interior,,

have never thought about the other parts of the CG needing a decent RH level since mine are in the case,, what about the neck and fretboard,,?? since they are wood also would beleive they are in need of some moisture,,

perhaps one of the Luthiers could supply some advice,,

User avatar
Vesuvio
Posts: 14275
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Northern England

Post by Vesuvio » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello Chimera,

I think Derry's suspicions are likely to be correct. As the neck and fretboard are different woods, it seems reasonable to assume they might respond differently or at different rates when the relative humidity changes. I wonder if that could lead to them separating or cracks forming?

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

User avatar
James Lister
Luthier
Posts: 7306
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Post by James Lister » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:45 pm

A common problem is cracks developing in the soundboard along the side of the fingerboard - ebony shrinks a lot when very dry. Unlikely to be a problem unless you live in a VERY dry area though. It would definitely be better to keep the whole guitar at the same humidity. You would probably get away with your idea, but is it worth the risk?

If the guitar support is a problem, you could consider using a Kling-on patch to protect the finish, or a clear adhesive patch if you don't mind it being permanent.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

chimera

hi

Post by chimera » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:21 pm

thank you for all of your replies. Yes I was thinking about the fretboard too. The other parts of the guitar are sealed by the finish but the fretboard isn't.

James if the Kling on isn't taken off, will there be damage to the finish?

Derry

Post by Derry » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:21 pm

good question to James,,

have thought about using the Kling ons but wondered what they would do the my french polish when removed,, how do they stay sticking on the surface, some sort of adhesive on them,,??

anyone using them and can share your results when removed on how the finish appeared,,

GEO

Post by GEO » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:52 am

There is a humidifier in the form of a disk that completely covers the sound hole. It's the Kyser Lifeguard model.

BTW, I would think it's best to keep the guitar in its case rather than on a support unless you're a teacher, where you have to grab it at frequent intervals throughout the day.

Cheers,

geo

User avatar
owl
Posts: 10124
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:35 am
Location: Australia

Post by owl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:40 am

GEO wrote: BTW, I would think it's best to keep the guitar in its case rather than on a support unless you're a teacher, where you have to grab it at frequent intervals throughout the day.
Or an Owl... who needs to do the same thing! :oops:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

chimera

haha

Post by chimera » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:21 am

Exactly owl, I mean i play all the time. I mean of course the safety of the guitar comes first, but if possible, I'd prefer to leave it out due to the fact that i won't have to take off the guitar support all the time. But yes, I suspect that I really should leave it in it's case. Anywho, the guitar doesn't arrive until another fortnight so no need to worry just yet, just preparing everything for when the baby(guitar as not to confuse people) arrives.

GEO when I say guitar support I don't mean a guitar stand. Forgive me if I misinterpreted but it seems when you say "on a support" you mean guitar stand. I would little trouble putting it in it's case all the time, cept the guitar support is stuck on to the guitar, and am just worried about excessive putting on and off of the guitar support to the guitar.

User avatar
owl
Posts: 10124
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: haha

Post by owl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:52 am

chimera wrote:I mean of course the safety of the guitar comes first.
Of course safety for your guitar is paramount... but I don't have that problem.
In fact several luthiers that I know, suggest that it is better for my guitars to be left out on their stands all the time.
I think that is a contentious point however, and each luthier would have their own thoughts on the matter!

I think you would be better served to do this if you use a Gitano or similar, as you obviously do.
As I don't use one however perhaps it is not for me to comment.
I think you should speak to the luthier and be guided by what he recommends.

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

chimera

thanks owl

Post by chimera » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:02 am

Thanks for the reply owl. Yeah I use lance litchfield's guitar support and if I play like 10 times a day (whenever I get that lil break) I don't want to have to be putting it on and off all the time with fear of damaging the guitar.

Yeah, I shall ask Kim to see what he says, that's a good idea, thanks owl

User avatar
owl
Posts: 10124
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: thanks owl

Post by owl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:08 am

chimera wrote: Yeah, I shall ask Kim to see what he says, that's a good idea, thanks owl
If that's Kim Lissarrague I have a fair idea of what he'll say! :roll:
Don't forget to tell him you use a Litchfield.

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

chimera

haha

Post by chimera » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:13 am

What would he say? Damn if you posted sooner I wouldn't have sent the message to him already lol. well the litchfield support uses suction cups just like all the other ones. Is it neccessary that I mention it? Or just mention the fact that suction cups are in contact with the guitar?

User avatar
owl
Posts: 10124
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:35 am
Location: Australia

Re: haha

Post by owl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:48 am

chimera wrote:What would he say? Damn if you posted sooner I wouldn't have sent the message to him already
LOL I can't preempt Kim so I probably wouldn't say anyway... I'll be very interested to hear what he recommends :roll:
No... as long as he knows what type of support... that should do the trick.
I just like to mention Aussie makers/suppliers when I can :oops:

Let's know what he says and why... I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be interested.

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

User avatar
James Lister
Luthier
Posts: 7306
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: hi

Post by James Lister » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:51 pm

chimera wrote:
James if the Kling on isn't taken off, will there be damage to the finish?
The Kling-ons are held on by static attraction - no adhesive is used, so there should be no damage to the finish. I have to say that although I've used Kling-ons to protect the tops of my guitars at exhibitions etc. (for which they work very well), I don't know how well they stand up to use with a guitar support. They are selling them for this purpose though:

http://www.staffordguitar.com/shop/accessoriesnew.asp

Best bet is to talk to your luthier about it. I had this issue with a customer of mine recently, and we agreed to go for a clear adhesive patch as it was an oil-finished guitar, and the suction cups wouldn't stick directly to the guitar (I don't think the Kling-ons would either). If you used an adhesive patch on a French polish finish, it would almost certainly damage the finish if you removed it.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Return to “Luthiers”