Stops Part 1

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
hav

Stops Part 1

Post by hav » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:39 pm

Ok - some little jaw-wag and exaple of stops - this part uses a snip of the Prelude BWV 999 (part 2 will use measure 2 of Sor 22 #4 - Segovia #5)

There are, oc course, many many other pieces that require stops and could be used to demonstrate stops - I selected these two because they are very approachable (or are often approached by beginners :D ) and because they are very very often played without the stops (I too have been guilty of doing so).

Anyway - I had to break this into 2 parts - sorry - these vid files get large very quickly - but I put the entire (not split) vid in my exercises dir in case you want it that way...
http://www.hav.com/junk/exercises/

Video Moved to: http://hav.com/junk/exercises/delcamp_stuff/

Caveats: (as always...)
- I am NOT a teacher
- my RH technique SUCKS!
- my memory, if not totally flawed, is, at best, spotty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hav on Mon May 29, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MRay

Post by MRay » Sat May 06, 2006 12:56 am

Thanks Hav!

Reinier

Post by Reinier » Sat May 06, 2006 7:47 pm

Thanks Hav,

Looking at your vid a lot of memories came back in my mind: discussions I had with my teachers when and how to "play stops". Other discussions I can remember are when to use the chord and when to use an arpeggio.

Reinier

hav

Post by hav » Sat May 06, 2006 11:35 pm

you're certainly welcome MRay and Reinier -- and, Reinier, please share your memories -- they may well be more clear than mine for it has been a long time since I had any lessons and I am sure I have missed much in these brief discussions.

Ted O'Farrell

Post by Ted O'Farrell » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:04 am

Hav

Thanks for the reminder how important stops are... It can be so
easily overlooked when practicing.

Also, enjoyed the Julia Florida... I liked both guitars, I think I'm
partial to the Cedar.... thanks again...

Ted

tedguitar

avshalom_t

Post by avshalom_t » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:42 am

thanks hav,
for making this subject clear, this will make me more aware of stops.

pmiklitz

Re: Stops Part 1

Post by pmiklitz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:51 am

Hi All,

stopping notes from ringing on is probably one of the most difficult techniques to learn and the earlier you start the better. It's an absolute must if you want to achieve a clean sound and proper articulation, but is often neglected. The Austrian guitarist Michael Langer treats this topic well in his beginner's guitar method "Play Guitar" (2 volumes) and also introduces a new notation for it.

Cheers,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

rlatkin

Post by rlatkin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:13 am

Hi, Hav,
I really appreciate this video. I'm still such a beginner that I have not approached this issue -- I just let everything ring out (when I can make it come out at all!) But as I watched the video, and paid attention to your RH, it came to me that what you're doing is "playing the rests" so to speak. Maybe if I can look at it that way I can start to add this item to my technique. You are exactly right about it being a necessary thing. Many thanks for this... good job.
:merci:

jupiterfist

Post by jupiterfist » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:31 am

thanks.. it helped alot

Danny Dishon

Post by Danny Dishon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 am

Thanks to Owl for turning me on to the video and thanks to Hav for making it. I have reached a point in my playing where I want to work on a clean, well articulated sound and this certainly helps.

firedoom

Post by firedoom » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:07 am

Thanks for making the videos on some fundamental techniques. I think they will help beginners and people who wants to improve their techniques.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”