LilyPond GUI for Windows

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
fuyioioih

LilyPond GUI for Windows

Post by fuyioioih » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:12 am

I have installed LilyPond on a Windows machine and started to learn how to use it.
I have used PowerTab and GuitarPro and like the GUI on those programs. They have
limitations I don't like. Does anyone out there know of a Windows GUI for LilyPond?
I've tried searching the forum and pretty much got lost looking at links and software
without finding anything really suitable for Windows.

Help!

Amadan

Re: LillyPond GUI for Windows

Post by Amadan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:18 pm

Have you tried the Lilypond official site? They have a Windows version
http://lilypond.org/

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:18 pm

LilyComp is available in a Windows version now

http://lilycomp.sourceforge.net/

I've never tried it, so I can't endorse it, but it seems to be the only GUI available

Martin

Bobber

Post by Bobber » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:23 pm

I've been working with Lilypond recently as well. I use Linux and there are a couple of GUI front ends that I have seen. But I have decided to just do it by hand. I think a case can be made for this approach. You have to use a more powerful text editor but once you have that tool and are comfortable using it, I think you can become very proficient. I personally use the VIM editor which is available for all platforms. This is a very powerful editor but takes time to learn. However, it is worth the work in my opinion: http://www.vim.org

fuyioioih

Post by fuyioioih » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:07 am

Thanks all for the links and suggestions.
I'll try them all. I'll have fun learning to run these programs and as Bobber suggests, I'll try LilyPond by hand.
It just seems so formidable. But, hey, I learned to play classical music on guitar, so how difficult could a
computer program be?

This forum is a formidable resource.

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:31 am

The strength of Lilypond lies in the code. It would be hard to make a really usable GUI that hides the code, without simplifying things. As already suggested, use a good editor with it (I use Vim, but jEdit is a good alternative with with some lilypond-specific stuff). Basic note input is actually easy and fast by hand. Once you have some macros and templates set up, starting a new score is rather painless, and basically involves just typing the name of the piece and then entering notes.

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

fuyioioih

Post by fuyioioih » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:37 am

Ahh. Macros! This discussion is really taking me somewhere I'd like to go!
Looking at LilyPond out of the box seems formidable in that it does EVERYTHING!
Text editors are easy enough so I'll try jEdit first.
Thanks for the input!

Return to “Composers' Workshop”