Mario Abril

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Count

Mario Abril

Post by Count » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:36 pm

I was looking at some of my old guitar books, and found a few arranged by Mario Abril. Is he still around? I have seen anything by him for years.

MickeyD

Re: Mario Abril

Post by MickeyD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:17 pm

This is from the page of the Chatanooga Symphony Orchestra:

Mario Abril

Born in Havana, Cuba, Mario Abril spent his early years in the small town of Sagua la Grande. Guided by his mother during childhood, he studied music theory, music literature and piano. Subsequently, Abril received formal instruction in violin, guitar and composition. He was a disciple of the distinguished Cuban guitarist Hector García and later studied under the English master Julian Bream. Still a teenager, Abril took part in the ill-fated Cuban Bay of Pigs invasion and was imprisoned for twenty-two months. His academic accreditation includes a degree in guitar performance from The University of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and a Ph.D. degree in music theory from The Florida State University, School of Music.

Abril has performed in North America and abroad. He has been featured on radio, television and recordings; his editions and arrangements have been published by Hansen House, Columbia Pictures Publications and Belwin Mills, Inc., and circulated worldwide. Abril's contributions alongside his twenty-year career as a performer include a number of compositions for chamber and symphonic ensembles. His work has been well received by critics and audiences alike; his settings for solo guitar and for harp/guitar ensemble have been performed and recorded by leading artists, and his ballet Amethyst was the subject of a one-hour, nationally broadcast, award-winning public television documentary. His composition Migrations was featured by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and broadcast on National Public Radio. In addition, Abril is the recipient of the 2002-03 Tennessee Arts Commission Individual Artist Fellowship. At the present time, Dr. Abril is Professor of guitar and music theory on the faculty of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. He also holds the Composer-in-Residence post with the Chattanooga Symphony & Opera, Robert Bernhardt, Artistic Director.

Count

Post by Count » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Thanks Mickey D. His books were great for the intermediate player. Nice to see he is still active.

avoz

Post by avoz » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Mickey D, Interesting information - like 'Count' I have some volumes of arrangements by Mario Abril - he had the ability to make full-sounding, interesting arrangements whilst avoiding great technical difficulties (Barbosa Lima et al write almost without compromise, giving the solo player virtual duos & trios to struggle with). He had the bright idea of including good photographs of right and left hands in correct position, which may have helped a lot of players avoid bad habits - the left hand 'parallel to fingerboard' shot would improve the Noad method (and others). If Hansen House did not renew his contract, more fool them - I would buy anything with his name on the cover. A pity, though, that he appears to have been anti-Castro (hopefully not in favour of restoring the corrupt old regime). avoz

Count

Post by Count » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 pm

He had a nice book of Christmas songs that he arranged. I still enjoy them during the holiday season.

MickeyD

Post by MickeyD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:36 pm

I have his book 55 1/2 guitar solos for classical guitar. Great arrangements and very accessible.

RainyDayMan

Post by RainyDayMan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm

Count wrote:I was looking at some of my old guitar books, and found a few arranged by Mario Abril. Is he still around? I have seen anything by him for years.
I have a book of intermediate stuff which all kinds of material in it and he had pretty good arrangements which one could simply or extend as needed. He had another book of more advanced arrangements with "Alfie", "People" ,"Jean" and so on. And these were brilliant. I guess these are now out of print. Quite a pity.

donniebryson

Post by donniebryson » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:14 am

I agree. It is a shame that Mario's pop arrangements are mainly out of print. He is a very gifted pop classical arrangers. I don't know why he let the books go out of print. I bet there is still a market for them. The few times I have seen him after my studies were mainly filled with bringing each other up to date on what is going on currently in our lives.

I studied with Mario and we spent a good deal of time going over his arrangements. I was more of a composing/arranging student that a guitarist. He is awesome. The years I spent with Mario going over his arrangements and asking how/why at points was the better part of my training. I am thankful for his generosity and the good fortune to study under someone with his talent, discipline, and consummate skills.

I would encourage anyone interested to check out some of Mario's more recent works. PBS radio had one of his orchestral works several years ago that contrasted nicely with the 'sweetness' of his pop arrangements. He has a full range of of musical voices -- from sweet pop to full 21st century bite. That is an interesting observation that I make about him know. I remember years ago Mario whistling a sweet melody to me when I was going through the obligatory Bartok phase most novice composers go through. He said, "guess who wrote it". "Don't know", said I. Mario then told me that Stravinsky wrote it and reminded me that he was the same guy that wrote the Rite of Spring. The point being that a true composer uses a full range of colors. That didn't have the ring to me then that it does now. All I had heard of Mario's pieces up to that time were 'sweet' romantic pieces -- even the few orchestral art pieces. But, I appreciate the full range of colors his body of work includes now. Again, I would strongly encourage anyone interested to check out some of his other work -- even if it is merely for the encouragement to expand the tools you bring to the craft.

mabril

Post by mabril » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:04 am

Hi Donnie,
I am Mario's son by the same name. I was googling my name and came across this thread and relayed it to my dad. He's doing well. He's still at UTC, and is flattered by the comments here. The music books you guys are talking about were published by Hansen Publications and they own all the rights to it. Unfortunately they have pretty much gone belly up. I've talked to him about re-arranging and publishing those popular pieces on his own but many of those tunes were/are copyrighted and now require licensing at great expense. He is currently publishing arrangements online and I'm sure those pieces would have been very popular. I'd post the link to the site but don't want to break any rules here. In any case, he remembers you and would enjoy a chat. If you're interested, you're welcome to contact him at his e-mail address on the UTC website. He asked me to give you his personal e-mail but I don't see a way to do it here without exposing it to everyone.

Take care

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:30 am

Hi Mario,

Welcome and thank you for your post. You will find some useful information on the forum and how best to use it on this page. You can pass on email addresses via the private message system if you wish (click on the PM icon to the right of the post and below the username of the member you wish to send a message to).

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

mabril

Post by mabril » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks Geoff. I'll make sure to review the New members page. I had originally intended to PM Donnie but at the time the PM option wasn't available. I guess my account had to undergo further scrutiny/approval. I see it now and will use it.

Thanks again.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:10 pm

I have his Scott Joplin book also publish by Hansen. Someday I will be far enough along that I will learn to play the entertainer arrangement. I think it is the best guitar arrangement that I have heard.

I didn't realise there were other publications - good to know.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:52 pm

Welcome to Delcamp, Mario! As you can see, your father has quite a few fans here. :)
mabril wrote: had originally intended to PM Donnie but at the time the PM option wasn't available. I guess my account had to undergo further scrutiny/approval. I see it now and will use it.
I believe you have to be a member of the 002 group (which your profile says you now are) in order to use the PM system. This prevents someone from registering just to spam members by PM, which unfortunately sometimes happens with forums.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”