Gitano support review

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Olarte

Gitano support review

Post by Olarte » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:43 pm

Here is my quick review on the Gitano Support I purchased from stringsbymail.com

First of all Kudos to Stringsbymail.com I ordered it on thursday afternoon and got it by sat morning! WOW!

Anyway, as for the Gitano guitar support it's mostly good. I think it's great that you don't have to take it off. in fact it fits perfectly in my humicase and makes the guitar fit snugh so it does not bounce around at all.

It also provides the angle that I want... had to tilt the suction cups a bit to get the desired angle.

However two things. I think for what it is it's a bit expensive. Granted $35 it not a lot... but still I think under $30 would be a bit more appropriate considering the materials etc.

More importantly I find that I practice guitar a lot in shorts, and the metal rounded corner tends to dig into my thigh.

Well I made a small modification. I took a fairly thick black washer used for faucets and doublesided (car stripping strenght) tape and taped the washed to the underside corner where the metal was digging into my thigh and it is much more comfortable.

One last thing, I think the felt is on the flimsy side, and worry that over time will wear out at the point of contact with the metal so I will need to replace that.

Last of all I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not about the suction cups having an effect on the finish. I have a Cordoba 45FCE guitar and the finish seems pretty durable.

The way I see it is the guitar is not extremely expensive (about $700 us) so it's not a heirloom that can't take a tiny bit of wear. And since the I plan to leave it on permanently I think it will stay and not do any damage.

I don't know if I want to add even more to the mix by adding the kling-on protectors as from what I understand they also can do damage if you attempt to remove them. So for now I think I will simply leave it as is.

Does anyone know about the finish on these Cordoba Guitars (I assume they are not the French polish finish that everyone is concerned about?)

In summary, the Gitano is indeed a great support, it provided immediate improvement to my playing and my comfort. It could be a bit cheaper and you may want to use a towel underneath or add some padding to the metal side (like the washer I added) if you find that it digs into your leg.

wianno

Re: Gitano support review

Post by wianno » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:52 am

olarte,

I just responded to your other post about arm and thumb pain. I too use a Gitano and play in shorts during the summer. Maybe you can put away the sticky stuff. All you need is a roll of drawer and shelf lining material, the rubbery mesh variety, from which you cut a couple of 8" wide sections to drape over the tops of your legs. The one for the right leg is handy in any season because it keeps the lower bout of your guitar snuggly in place (so that Kevin doesn't have to push it back into place.)

Jack

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:06 pm

wianno wrote:olarte,

I just responded to your other post about arm and thumb pain. I too use a Gitano and play in shorts during the summer. Maybe you can put away the sticky stuff. All you need is a roll of drawer and shelf lining material, the rubbery mesh variety, from which you cut a couple of 8" wide sections to drape over the tops of your legs. The one for the right leg is handy in any season because it keeps the lower bout of your guitar snuggly in place (so that Kevin doesn't have to push it back into place.)

Jack
THanks Jack, I like the idea of using the material so I bought a roll, and cut a piece similar to the felt strap that comes with the Gitano, I overlayed it over the felt, and used the "sticky" stuff to put it in place along with electrical tape. It looks great, and now I have a sticky strap that does not slide, and no need to carry a separate piece.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:20 pm

I really like the Gitano. My issue with it is the suction cups. I can't get them to stay on for more than about 15-20 minutes. Often in the middle of a piece I'll hear and feel one or both release, then the stability is gone. What am I doing wrong here? Do you moisten them or put them on dry?
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:50 pm

oski79 wrote:I really like the Gitano. My issue with it is the suction cups. I can't get them to stay on for more than about 15-20 minutes. Often in the middle of a piece I'll hear and feel one or both release, then the stability is gone. What am I doing wrong here? Do you moisten them or put them on dry?
Hi Oski79... that's strange... on mine they seem to stay on forever... once in a while one will come off.. but for the most part, once I put them on, they stay on even folding the support, and putting the guitar away in the case every night.

I moisten them a tiny bit when putting them on, and press firmly (but not enough to cause damage of course)...

I assume the finish on the guitar is nice and smooth. Do you use any polishes on the guitar, Maybe there is a film of polish where the cups go that are not allowing them to stick properly? Also it might be that you press down hard when you are enthusiastic in your playing... :wink:

I would also suggest getting a piece of the transparent protecting film used on the front of the guitar that sticks by static, not glue.. such as the kling-on from stringsbymail.com put that on the bottom of the guitar, then use the suction cups on that. I heard that others use it and it keeps the suction cups in place.

flat3rd

Post by flat3rd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Hello All,
I recently got a Guitano from stringsbymail as well. Its the third type of support i've tried and it is by far the sturdiest and the best designed. I've had an Efel and an A-frame in the past, and the gitano is totally my favorite. To speak towards the slipping, i just fold over my polish cloth and place it between my leg and the support and that seems to sop the slipping...

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:00 pm

flat3rd wrote:Hello All,
I recently got a Guitano from stringsbymail as well. Its the third type of support i've tried and it is by far the sturdiest and the best designed. I've had an Efel and an A-frame in the past, and the gitano is totally my favorite. To speak towards the slipping, i just fold over my polish cloth and place it between my leg and the support and that seems to sop the slipping...

I'm glad to hear that outof the 3 that you tried this is your favorite. As I mentioned in an earlier post. I Actually added a piece of non-stick rubber (Shelf liner) material on top of the felt "strap" and this helps with the slipping, and it's mixed permanently. :o

jazuju

Post by jazuju » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi all! (It's a long time that I wrote anything here last time:))

I've been using Gitano for nine months now. What I like in Gitano: It's easy, cool and light-weighted. I dont't have to take it off when I put my guitar to case. It offers almost good guitar position to me.

What I don't like in Gitano: It offers just almost good guitar position to me. My back also feels a bit uncomfortable with gitano. (I have to say that I didn't notice before that one can also rotate the gitano. :D I have to try if that helps to these problems.) Also, as mentioned above, the price is a bit too salty.

So, when I play at home I usually use a leg stand. When I carry my guitar somewhere, I just take the Gitano with me (in fact i keep it always attached). I would give 8½ /10 points to Gitano support.

flat3rd

Post by flat3rd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 pm

The only other support I'd love to try is the ergo play, which is substantially more bulky, but my teacher swears its the most stable thing in the world. If any of you have any experience w/ them please let me know what you thought about it...

orbiterred

Post by orbiterred » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:54 pm

ill second the ergo play! i own a gitano as well and i like it ok but it never seemed stable enough for me to get really comfortable with, always felt like i was trying to hit a moving target on the fretboard. the ergo play is just like having the guitar on your leg, super stable but it is bulky and thats a pain.

flat3rd

Post by flat3rd » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Thanks orbiterred, You've pretty much echoed my teachers sentiments...I'll have to see if he'll let me try his out one day!

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:59 pm

orbiterred wrote:ill second the ergo play! i own a gitano as well and i like it ok but it never seemed stable enough for me to get really comfortable with, always felt like i was trying to hit a moving target on the fretboard. the ergo play is just like having the guitar on your leg, super stable but it is bulky and thats a pain.

The original Ergoplay seems very similar to the Gitano... I like the Gitano once you put a non-slip pad on your leg, or on top of the original felt strap.

So with the Ergoplay, do you have to remove the suction cups every time to put it away? that sounds like it's a pain. plus it would always be slightly different.

With the Gitano, once you set it, and at the angle that you want, you set it and forget it for the most part.

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:58 pm

olarte wrote:One last thing, I think the felt is on the flimsy side, and worry that over time will wear out at the point of contact with the metal so I will need to replace that.
I'm not sure you need to worry about it. I have used a gitano for 4 years and it still seems as good as new. I used to have one for each guitar until I gave one to a friend. I love my Gitanos :)

orbiterred

Post by orbiterred » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:40 pm

olarte wrote:
orbiterred wrote:ill second the ergo play! i own a gitano as well and i like it ok but it never seemed stable enough for me to get really comfortable with, always felt like i was trying to hit a moving target on the fretboard. the ergo play is just like having the guitar on your leg, super stable but it is bulky and thats a pain.

The original Ergoplay seems very similar to the Gitano... I like the Gitano once you put a non-slip pad on your leg, or on top of the original felt strap.

So with the Ergoplay, do you have to remove the suction cups every time to put it away? that sounds like it's a pain. plus it would always be slightly different.

With the Gitano, once you set it, and at the angle that you want, you set it and forget it for the most part.
yeah ive used the gitano with the non-slip stuff but its never really been a problem of it slipping on my leg, it just never seemed sturdy enough or something, the ergo play you do have to take on and off but the angle never changes once you set it and it feels just like having the body of the gutiar resting on your leg.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Any problems with a leg 'falling asleep?'

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”