Tortora, Giorgio - Dulcea and Sophia Song

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
remmus

Tortora, Giorgio - Dulcea and Sophia Song

Post by remmus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Giorgio Tortora wrote this song and sent it to me several months ago. I've been working very hard on it and recently sent him a draft mp3 of me playing it. Today I received his permission to upload it here to Delcamp.

Me asking for his permission:
......................Would it be alright with you if I posted the mp3 "Dulcea and Sophia Song", as it is, to the Delcamp site? The other guitarists have been wanting to hear it.

Here is his return e-mail to me:
Sweet Lisa
YES, you can, but with one condition: write on the post "Giorgio have write this little song for me, Lisa!"

Giorgio
So, Giorgio has written this little song me!
Lisa
THANK YOU GIORGIO!!!

(If you listen real hard, towards the end you can hear my dog barking downstairs. I'm still working to improve this song but I think it's finally uploadable!)
I would VERY MUCH like your honest critiques as I have not found my part yet - I'm still working to find my feeling and expressiveness. And, I must be honest, this piece is far from easy for me to play.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

Erik Zurcher

Re: Tortora, Giorgio - Dulcea and Sophia Song

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Honest critique? Lovely, sweet piece and beautifully played! No need to be modest about, Summer, it sounds brilliant to me! My compliments to both you and Giorgio.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Hello Summer,

That is a gorgeous piece of music and I think you have played it just beautifully. I hope you have sent a copy to Giorgio Tortora, I think he would be delighted.

Thank you for the chance to hear you play it,

Best wishes, V :) :merci: :bravo:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

miramadar

Post by miramadar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:24 pm

This is a really nice piece of music. And, honestly, I think you're most of the way there to making this song your own. I think over time, like you said, you'll find your voice with this song. It is very good now however. You should be proud.

:bravo:

remmus

Post by remmus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:32 pm

Wow! Thank you Vesuvio, Zurcher (I can call you Erik, can't I??? :D ) and Miramandar! I really appreciate what ya'll said. :D
Last edited by remmus on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi Summer,

I first came across Giorgio's lovely music when you posted his "Studio No 1 (I Ranuncoli Gialli)". Your interpretation of the piece he wrote for you is a most welcome addition to my little collection of recordings of his works,

Have a great weekend, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

owl

Post by owl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Summer... this is just a delightful piece of music... and you play it charmingly :casque:
I'm sure Giorgio would be so pleased with your interpretation

I know you will play it more to your own satisfaction as you work on it, but honestly, you already convey the sweetness in the music
You know I've been waiting for you to post this, and I am not disappointed

I love it! :flowers:

Thank you so much for sharing... and thank you also to Giorgio... just lovely

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

remmus

Post by remmus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:07 pm

by Vesuvio on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Hi Summer,

I first came across Giorgio's lovely music when you posted his "Studio No 1 (I Ranuncoli Gialli)". Your interpretation of the piece he wrote for you is a most welcome addition to my little collection of recordings of his works,
Oh Vesuvio! You remember that piece! :D Giorgio is quite the composer and guitarist. I'm going to do a search to see if he has any CD's out and buy some.

Thank-you Owl for listening and your very kind comments! You know how it feels when you first post a piece and then wait to read what people think about it. It's scary! And coming from such a fantastic guitarist as yourself (the master!) makes me very happy! Thank-you!Image

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Well Summer, I thought that was amazing - both the piece and your playing of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :casque:

Tortora's music is so lovely, particularly the harmonies which serve to elevate the melody so well - and you bring all this out in your performance. :bravo:
Summer wrote: I'm still working to find my feeling and expressiveness.
I think you already have an excellent "feel" for this piece - all the expression is there - it just needs to be completely spontaneous - but I'm sure this will come just by continuing to play it regularly - and then it will be out of this world! :ouioui:

Will Tortora be publishing this piece? I'd love to have a copy.
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

remmus

Post by remmus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Lucy!

Thanks for the kind comments and good advice about spontaneity. I'm still working just to get the frettings under my fingers so spontaneity is not yet firmly established, but it's getting there.

I don't know if Mr. Tortora has published this piece or not, but I will e-mail him and ask. If he has I will certainly get back to you on that! I had to re-finger a lot of the piece from the way he had it - not because it was bad fingering, but apparently he must have very long fingers! Some of the chords worked better up the neck for me rather than in 1st or 2nd position. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing another piece by you! :D

kafka

Post by kafka » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Delightful :casque: :merci:

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:04 pm

OK Summer, since you asked also in an other thread about constructive advice/critique, I will give it a try: ................................................................................, eh, ..........................
Hold on, it's coming ........... eh, ................................
Well, basicly you do everything fine, nice tempo, good tone, but maybe ... you could add more drama. Like you are telling an story and you pause before the exciting bit.... and we all beg you to tell the rest, ... and then you continue in majestic way. Does this make sense to you? If not, don't pay any attention to my babbling. The recording is fine as it is and I am sure that you will play it differently tomorrow than today.

Disclaimer by psychiatrist:
Anything e.zurcher says should not be taken seriously. He means well, but he just doesn't know what he is talking about. He is obsessed with pictures of hens and keeps staring at them. He is harmless, but frankly, the guy is nutcase. Sorry, I have to run... he 's out of bed again!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi Summer,

Lovely!

I thought both the piece and your performance were very nice. I do like Erik's comment about adding a little drama and bringing out a story within the piece - it seems you could take it just about any direction you wanted to: playful, or tender (I believe it's leaning toward "tender" the way you recorded it), or wistful, etc.

I've been waiting for this, also! Thank you Summer,

Evelyn

remmus

Post by remmus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Thank-you Erik!!! Drama! Yes! and I have noticed that myself. I need to get "mavericky' with it and give it a "Little Shakin' Up!" (er....sorry for my S. Palin imitation :oops: ) Seriously, you are right....and I thought maybe a well-placed grunt, or moan, or "baak" might spice it up too (just jokin joe!)
I was thinking about video taping myself playing it and giving it a lot of body expression, or wearing a stylish hat.....maybe piled up with fruit I dunno.....I could paint my fingernails and/or spike my hair, or any number of things.....hhhhmmmm...the possibilities for drama are endless!

But I do need to give it more flair for sure! Thanks chicken-lover! :D :D :D

EVELYN!!!! WHERE THE HECK HAVE YOU BEEN GIRL?!!! (I hope things are getting better???!)

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Summer wrote:Thank-you Erik!!! Drama! Yes! and I have noticed that myself. I need to get "mavericky' with it and give it a "Little Shakin' Up!" (er....sorry for my S. Palin imitation :oops: ) Seriously, you are right....and I thought maybe a well-placed grunt, or moan, or "baak" might spice it up too (just jokin joe!)
I was thinking about video taping myself playing it and giving it a lot of body expression, or wearing a stylish hat.....maybe piled up with fruit I dunno.....I could paint my fingernails and/or spike my hair, or any number of things.....hhhhmmmm...the possibilities for drama are endless!

But I do need to give it more flair for sure! Thanks chicken-lover! :D :D :D

EVELYN!!!! WHERE THE HECK HAVE YOU BEEN GIRL?!!! (I hope things are getting better???!)
Don't overdo the drama, forget about the stylish hat and all that. Just make it YOUR piece, YOUR interpretation. Surprise Giorgio!!! About the video: excellent idea!

To Evelyn: are you allright girl? How's mum and dad?

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”