Music Write program for Guitar

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Sandan

Music Write program for Guitar

Post by Sandan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Recently coming back to play guitar and a novice at computer.

Do we have a music write progam just for guitar arrangment with all the bells and whistles, harmony, slur, arpeggio, hand position , finger and string nhumbering etc. ?

I could always write it up and put into a pdf file (THANKS to Azalais), but my hand-writing is not exactly great?

San

Paul

Re: Music Write program for Guitar

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:11 pm

sandan wrote:Do we have a music write progam just for guitar arrangment with all the bells and whistles, harmony, slur, arpeggio, hand position , finger and string nhumbering etc. ?
Finale has all the bells and whistles. It is quite expensive to buy, but there are other versions of it. I think there is one just for guitar music, but I am not familiar with that version. Some people find Finale difficult to learn, but once you are used to it it is fantastic.

Paul

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:33 pm

There are other threads on this topic. Why don't you try searching for 'Notation Program' and you should see a good range of opinions on the topic?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

giofre

Post by giofre » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:01 pm

Sibelius is a good notation program, but is not really specific for guitar arrangements. Otherwise Sibelius has a lot of options that can be useful for writin guitar music (slurs, fingering ecc.)

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:51 pm

Hi All,

I have been using Finale 98 for years and it's excellent, but quite difficult to learn. The documentation is very good though, so it's easy to find solutions for any problem. I have done lots of Jazz Standard arrangements with it and especially like the multiple layers for different voices.

It's quite difficult to do fingerings in version 98 and I don't know whether that improved in later versions, but other than that, I can recommend it.

Best regards,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

Sandan

Post by Sandan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks everyone, it looks like the more the program can do... means the harder to master the program commands.
I will try some of your recommendation.

khayes

Post by khayes » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:28 pm

I use PrintMusic - it's a 'skinny' version of Finale and much more affordable. Yes, it can be a little quirky but I've found it suitable for my needs.
Ken

arby

Post by arby » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:02 pm

Tabledit.
Easy to use, inexpensive,new versions free, and designed for guitar.

Franklin

Post by Franklin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:29 pm

I know this program tabledit, its easy and works very well.

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi
I have also tried a version of Finale, Notepad I think, but found I couldn't do what I wanted. After having tried a few different free downloads I tried Tabledit and found it came closest to what I needed. I am also not great with a computer. Still had to learn the basics of Tabledit to get any where but as it suits the guitar I managed to get a few scores done.
Good Luck

Regards Tim
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

juerg

Post by juerg » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:14 pm

LilyPond (http://lilypond.org/web/) is a freely available music notation program that produces high-quality PDF output.
It also supports guitar specific notation (see http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentat ... ond/Guitar).

Yes, it does not have a fancy visual frontend like for example Finale. Give it a try anyway, you will get used to the text input format rather quickly.

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:49 pm

Another vote for Tabledit -- you can download a demo from the Tabledit site if you want to try it. It is free and fully-functional. I think the registered version costs about the same as a new video game -- $50.

Tabledit is not perfect, but it can get the job done in most cases. You can create either staff notation or tab, or both. You can show slurs, ornaments, fingerings, etc. etc. etc.

Just to get an idea of what it looks like and what some of the features are, here is a short score for classical guitar that I created with Tabledit:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18281

Finale and Sibeleus are much better programs. But they are pro-software costing hundreds of dollars -- you could run a music publishing buisness with those! And for guitarists, I think Tabledit might actually be easier to use...

Lilypond looks fantanstic, but it's all code-based (ugh!). Tabledit is point and click, what you see is what you get.

Sandan

Post by Sandan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:30 am

Guys, thank you very much for all the suggestions,

I look at guitar slim's Canopy lane, wow that is exactly what I want. Some cheap program won't let us have full note for the bass/ melody since it will counted as part of the total note for the whole bar.

I will definitely try this program and, of course, his "Canopy Lane" piece...I still can't get over how friendly and generous all of you.

Thanks again

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:30 pm

Check out Musedit, it's about $59 us but it is a very good program. Comes with a Disc and a 294 page manual. It's very comprehensive and is made specifically for guitar although you can do bass, drums, piano, and can also convert between notation and tabs.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:52 am

MuseScore is a free notation program written under a GPL licence. It's worth trying since it's free. http://www.musescore.org

Braeburn Software also does a program called Music Publisher. $199 to $349 depending on the edition you want. Not cheap.

Paul

Return to “Composers' Workshop”