You know you need a 640 scale when...

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
roman_i

You know you need a 640 scale when...

Post by roman_i » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:10 pm

your fingers are small?

Roman

Michael.N.

Re: You know you need a 640 scale when...

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Errrmm. . . . I know I do. In fact I'll knock off another whole centimetre and call it 630. Makes perfect sense for me.
Historicalguitars.

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:26 pm

your only 615 but are gaining weight rapidly.

Edit: Ok this is silly, but how was I supposed to know the post was referring to the guitar?
Last edited by AsturiasFan on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quixilver

Post by quixilver » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:10 am

roman_i wrote:your fingers are small?
Actually, I'm not really sure and I'm thinking my fingers are small as standard Asian size.
Just a rough quick check :
Finger length (from base to the end tip of fingers with opened palm) :
- Thumb : 5.9 cm
- Index finger : 7.6 cm
- Middle finger : 8.5 cm
- Ring finger : 7.9 cm
- Little finger : 6.4 cm
- Maximum length of spread from Index finger end tip to Little finger end tip : 16.5 cm
- Length of overall palm from end of wrist to Index Finger end tip : 18.8 cm

Do they consider as a "small hand" ?
Which scale am I suitable for ? Standard 650 or 640 scale length ?
"After food, air and water, classical guitar is the next necessity of life."

1988 Kazuo Sato | 2005 Tobias Berg | 2007 Rolf Eichinger | 2014 Alexandru Marian | 2015 Christoph Sembdner | 2015 Antonio Raya Ferrer | 2016 Masaki Sakurai P.C.

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:19 pm

quixilver wrote:Do they consider as a "small hand" ? Which scale am I suitable for ? Standard 650 or 640 scale length ?
It's uncanny but my fingers have nearly your exact lengths except for the pinky which is half a mm shorter. My stretch from index to pink tip is only 15 cm. I can't find it anymore but based on the latter, a post stated that my stretch length was borderline for choosing between 640 mm and 650 mm. Just small enough so that the 640 mm should be the preference. Your hand would also be borderline, probably just enough of a stretch so that a 650 mm scale would be the preference (according to the lost post).

quixilver

Post by quixilver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:32 am

AsturiasFan wrote:I can't find it anymore but based on the latter, a post stated that my stretch length was borderline for choosing between 640 mm and 650 mm. Just small enough so that the 640 mm should be the preference. Your hand would also be borderline, probably just enough of a stretch so that a 650 mm scale would be the preference (according to the lost post).
Had been curious enough to found this article :

"640mm or 650 mm?
Regarding 650mm or 640 mm guitar construction, keep the following rule at hand: If the distance between the tip of your thumb and the tip of your little finger is equal or less than 9 in. when fully stretched, use 640 mm. Adapting from one scale to the other takes no adaptation."

"After food, air and water, classical guitar is the next necessity of life."

1988 Kazuo Sato | 2005 Tobias Berg | 2007 Rolf Eichinger | 2014 Alexandru Marian | 2015 Christoph Sembdner | 2015 Antonio Raya Ferrer | 2016 Masaki Sakurai P.C.

ande

Post by ande » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:08 am

I should buy up big on 640 scale instruments, maybe set up shop.

davidinla

Post by davidinla » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:35 pm

I have hands on the smaller side of average and started to think I might get a smaller scale guitar one day and then a funny thing happened. I was playing something for my teacher and he said that I should consider getting a 664mm guitar next time. I looked at him and said no one has ever accused me of having large hands before. We compared hands and ours were the same (he plays a 640mm). He said, you have fat fingers and a wide palm and my need the extra size to get your hands into tight positions up the neck. I laughed and said "fat fingers?" He said, OK, well wide pads at the tips of your fingers. He went on to say that the hand will always stretch for long reaches but you can't make your fingers thinner.

You know you need a 640 scale when you don't have "fat fingers."

David

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:52 pm

http://*** Commercial link removed ***.com/feb-05-2009-spruce-cutaway.html wrote:Regarding 650mm or 640 mm guitar construction, keep the following rule at hand: If the distance between the tip of your thumb and the tip of your little finger is equal or less than 9 in. when fully stretched, use 640 mm. Adapting from one scale to the other takes no adaptation."
Wow! My stretch is only 8 inches. So now I really want a 640 mm with a radiused fretboard. I also want to win the lottery so I can aford to pay for one. Say! Are there any photos floating around that show 650 mm and 640 mm guitars side by side?

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:28 pm

I can just about manage 8 1/4 inch.
Seeing a 640 & 650 mm guitars side by side won't really tell you much. From my experience a 640 (or slightly less) coupled with a smaller nut width is the key for players with small fingers. A typical Romantic guitar has a scale length of around 630 mm's and a nut width of around 47 mm's. They are a whole lot easier to play than a 650 at a nut width of 52 mm's.
Historicalguitars.

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:00 pm

do they make 645 for the indecisive people?
what about if you can stretch 9 1/2 inches but you're lazy and you want to get a smaller guitar so you dont have to stretch so much? 8)

EricW

Post by EricW » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm

I'd like to know if that study regarding the hand-span/fretboard size correlation is credible. Do you have the source?

I suspect it was funded in part by the National Association For 640mm Specification Luthiers :lol:

GuitaristOrdinate

Post by GuitaristOrdinate » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:34 am

EricW wrote:I'd like to know if that study regarding the hand-span/fretboard size correlation is credible. Do you have the source?......
I'd like to know the same thing . I just measured my hand and it was 8.5" . I've always played a 650mm scale .

gtrgabriel

Post by gtrgabriel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I measured the length between my thumb and pinky which is 8.5 inches; however, my finger tips are kind of "fat" (thick pads) for their size.
I've always used a 650 scale guitar but I certainly have struggled to reach certain notes while holding a chord in position. I am definitely going
to have to try the 640 scale but with a wider nut because of my "fat" finger tips! :)

John O

Post by John O » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:32 pm

your girly-man hand can't make the stretch in the infamous chord in Bach's Chaconne! (B-flat/F/D/B-flat) :D

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”