Footstool Slope Poll

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Paul

Footstool Slope Poll

Post by Paul » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:10 pm

After reading the footstool position thread I thought it might be worth polling the members who use footstools as to what their preferences are.

Do you prefer the footstool to be

(i) Uphill,
(ii) Downhill, or
(iii) Flat?

(this is from the point of view of the person using the footstool :) )

Paul

P.S. I prefer mine flat.

Kris

Re: Footstool Slope Poll

Post by Kris » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:15 pm

(ii) Downhill.

But I've never had one that allowed for flat....I think.

Noadman

Post by Noadman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:22 pm

After reading the earlier thread, I switched to the downhill slope, so it's been about two/three weeks and I don't think I'll go back to the uphill. I had just been thinking I needed more height for my left leg and this solution has really worked out well. I've since tried alternating to see whether it's just a psychological thing, but I really think I get better and more solid support with the downhill slope.

I don't suppose the same solution can work for all body types and the way a person holds the guitar is going to make a difference, but I'm sure glad this was mentioned by memitchell.

Noadman
Heaven puts its price on all things.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Uphill for me—I have long achilles tendons,

V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Kris wrote:(ii) Downhill.

But I've never had one that allowed for flat....I think.
I remember seeing some footstools at my old teacher which didn't have a flat option. Perhaps the flat ones aren't that common after all. Mine's got both options. I've tried uphill and downhill, but I'm not so keen on them. I saw a pic of John Williams using an uphill one, but the slope was very gentle.

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 pm

uphill for me. but i've never really tried any other option. i'll flip my foot stool around so i can feel what down hill is like. seems awkward though.

owl

Post by owl » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Uphill :mrgreen:
I have tried downhill and flat but uphill works best for me

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:23 am

I've always used uphill. Flat gives me height, but it's not very comfortable. I have never tried downhill, but I shall give it a go.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

wianno

Post by wianno » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Downhill.

J

Kris

Post by Kris » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:05 pm

I just realized that the preference for one over another probably has a lot to do with how close or far away we keep the footstool. I would imagine that the closer to the body, the more comfortable a downward slope would be, and vice versa.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:18 pm

I generally do not use a foot stool, going with a gitano instead. When I do it is slope up. At my teacher's, he has a stand with an integrated footstool, and it is flat. I can't say I like it much.

I should spend some time analyzing this and my position. We all have our unique body mechanics. For me, I am tall with long arms (I cannot wear a standard shirt, for example). Long arms are good for boxing, bad for weightlifting. I don't know what their impact is on CG!
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

rlatkin

Post by rlatkin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:48 pm

I'll have to go with flat, I suppose. I guess it's just what I got used to. :wink:

cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Uphill, like an airplane taking off....:)

MichaelBrock

Post by MichaelBrock » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:45 pm

I had been using my footstool up hill but after reading the aforementioned footstool slope thread I tried it down hill and find that I find it more comfortable that way. I actually think I would benefit from a steeper slope. I think too that there is something to thought that preference depends a bit on how far from your chair you place the stool. I have mine in pretty close.

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Horizontal. And flat. And on top of my other footstool, gathering dust in the garage, in a box full of music stands (where do they come from?) I'll try leaning it downhill, but I doubt it will make a lot of difference to my playing.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”