Left arm/elbow position and left pinky

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
rocketbubba

Left arm/elbow position and left pinky

Post by rocketbubba » Sat May 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi, I, like some others here, have recently made the switch from steel string acoustic to classical. I am very fortunate to have an excellent, patient teacher. We had to "correct" a lot of bad technique - left thumb hooked around the neck, right hand position (thumb out in front, wrist tilted, etc), and left elbow.

Left thumb position was a chore but I think I've finally got it under control using an unusual technique. I applied a strip of soft, foam-rubber along the middle of the back of the neck of the guitar - as long as my thumb is on it I'm in good shape. Right hand position has taken some work but I believe it's about right. The thumb is out in front of the other fingers and they don't bump into each other playing rest-strokes on arpeggios and so forth.

Left arm/elbow position is still not there. I understand the mechanics of bringing the left elbow out so that the left fingers are perpendicular to the fretboard - it makes perfect sense. However, I find myself playing with the left elbow down next to my body. I've thought of placing a small pillow under my left arm to hold it out from my body - anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?

Left pinky is another problem. I understand the mechanics of keeping it down, near the strings, ready to hit the next fret but I often find it sticking up as I play. This is especially true as I play faster. At one point I got so frustrated, I took some masking tape and taped it down so it couldn't stick up. That was, as anyone could imagine, extremely uncomfortable and not very practical.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. I've used computer forums for years for help on computer building but didn't know this forum was out there for classical guitar. I look forward from learning from the community!

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Re: Left arm/elbow position and left pinky

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sat May 09, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi rocketbubba,

Welcome to Delcamp. Please take the time to introduce yourself here.

:merci: Vito
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”