foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jake1

foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Post by Jake1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:28 am

Ergonomics are important for guitarists. I have heard that some classical guitarists over the years have developed back pain from playing the guitar. For those effected this problem tends to occur after playing for long periods of time. So, what is your recommendation to the novice classical guitar students who have yet to form any habit or preferences for their choice to support the guitar? Additionally, if today you were starting to play the guitar as an absolute beginner student what device would you use for supporting the guitar? - Foot Stool, Ergoplay Gitano Dynarette or something else. Habits are easy to start but difficult to brake. So, your input would be helpful to me and other novice classical guitarists. :merci:

Jake

Jratwen

Re: foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Post by Jratwen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:39 am

Hi Jake - I can say from experience that it is well to stay ahead of this issue. Lower back pains brought my guitar playing to a near standstill for a month or so till I finally settled upon a Gitano support and a somewhat higher bench - amazingly an inch and a half made a world of difference.

There has been a lot of discussion of these issues on the forum. Try putting gitano, tenuto, ergoplay, dynarette, or guitar support in the forum search window, and you will find tons more information than I can give you here.

Best of luck

- Jim

Pumping Carbon

Post by Pumping Carbon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 pm

I recently purchased a Murata Aria guitar rest, and I'm very impressed. It's lightweight and easy to install. Works very well. Two points: The instructions are in Japanese, but it's intuitive in its design and very easy to install. I installed with just enough tension on the padded grips to keep it in place without slipping. After a couple of days of use, I removed it and there were no marks on the guitar. Again, INSTALL WITH JUST ENOUGH TENSION TO KEEP IT IN PLACE. My guitar (a Ramirez) is lacquered, so the finish is more durable than shellac. I've heard that it might leave a mark on a French polished guitar (a report from at least one member of this forum). However, I have seen the support used with a Greg Byers guitar (French polished), and Goran Sollscher can be seen in concert on YouTube using the Aria support.

NorthTexan

Post by NorthTexan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:02 am

I've been a footstool user since I first began studying classical guitar 12 years ago, but recently began thinking about using a support. I ordered the Murata mainly for the reason that it is not a suction cup support. The Gitano is a popular support, but I have seen the Gitano fail onstage on at least 2 occasions. If I had to pick a suction cup based support, I'd choose the Ergoplay because the suction cups adhere to both the upper and lower bouts that I find results in a more secure hold on the instrument. I chose the Murata because of how it clamps onto the guitar. I have read the various reports of the Murata leaving marks on the guitar, but decided to give it a shot. I got mine last week and my review is mixed. On the pro side, it does provide a secure hold on the instrument. It also swivels as the player moves back and forth. The cons are not big ones. First, the base that rests on your leg is brown. On the Strings by Mail website, the support is advertised as the "black" Murata, but it it's not completely black. Yes, it is only an aesthetic criticism, but if you're wearing black pants in a performance the brown might stand out. Second, when I first put it on, I noticed that it can be a little noisy as you move. I figure that you have to make sure that it's firmly fastened to the instrument to avoid any creaking sounds. Finally, my biggest problem with the support is one that cannot be shared by most players. My concert guitar is by the Italian maker Alessandro Marseglia. His design features a tapered body where the body is widest at the lower bout and gets narrower toward the upper bout. The result is a floating fingerboard that creates a little more vibrating surface as there is gap between the soundboard and the floating fretboard. It also makes the instrument unsuited to the Murata as the clamps are desingend for a traditional guitar, and as a result only 3 of the 4 clamps make contact with the guitar. That said, I am happy overall with the support as I can use it on the Takamine electric classical that I use on gigs and for teaching. I used it this past weekend for two gigs that I had and it was great. It allows me to sit for 2 straight hours at a time with no strain on my back. As far as my concert guitar is concerned, I may try an Ergoplay, but will probably continue with the footstool. But as far as gigs go, the Murata will be on every one of them with me.

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:01 am

I know that you inquired about different ways to support the guitar, but I also wanted to point out something else. When practicing, it is also important to structure your practice sessions so that you are taking frequent breaks, instead of sitting for long periods of time in the same position. Equally important is what you do during the breaks.

As an example, I practice in half hour blocks, and if I string two or more of these blocks together, I take a short break between blocks to do some light yoga. Combining this approach with a good warmup routine will go a long way towards avoiding many issues.

With regard to guitar supports, I have tried several different types but none of them are perfect. I still use a footstool most of the time because it offers the best combination of portability and stability for me.

jabliberty

Post by jabliberty » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:21 pm

I vote for the Ergoplay. More stable than the others and more adjustable than the Gitano. I use a Gitano on my Guild steel string and it works fine on that. It is too "vague" (unstable) for the classical playing. I agree with short sessions and breaks between. Better for the brain and hands too!

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:11 pm

Trev wrote:When practicing, it is also important to structure your practice sessions so that you are taking frequent breaks ... I still use a footstool most of the time because it offers the best combination of portability and stability for me.
I agree whole heartedly with this advice. Spend some time keeping your core muscles (abs, spinal erectors etc.) strong and your hamstrings, hip flexors and IT bands flexible and you will have a good chance at avoiding problems.

Aside from the ergonomic considerations, I can't help but feel that a guitar support gets between me and the guitar emotionally. No basis for this, I'm just old fashioned in that way. It wouldn't be a big consideration however if I was in pain.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:41 pm

Cincy2 wrote:Aside from the ergonomic considerations, I can't help but feel that a guitar support gets between me and the guitar emotionally. No basis for this, I'm just old fashioned in that way. It wouldn't be a big consideration however if I was in pain.
Cincy
I get what you're saying here, Cincy. While I like to occasionally use a support, I find that a footstool provides a more intimate connection with the guitar. I have not found a way to replicate that feeling with a guitar support, and I have tried many.

jrethorst

Post by jrethorst » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:57 am

I heard more than once that a footstool is bad for the back in the long term, so I tried a Dynarette, thinking I'd also try some of the other products mentioned here. The Dynarette was completely comfortable, though, so that was that.
John Rethorst
1983 Alejandro
2004 Yamaha GC-31
Classical and nylon jazz

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:06 am

Trev wrote:I know that you inquired about different ways to support the guitar, but I also wanted to point out something else. When practicing, it is also important to structure your practice sessions so that you are taking frequent breaks, instead of sitting for long periods of time in the same position. Equally important is what you do during the breaks.
Trev makes rather important points. As Chris mentioned in his blog, humans were not designed to play the guitar for long uninterrupted stretches.

For me, it's the Ergoplay. I prefer the Troester but the Tappert works just as well. I compared both models to the Dynarette in my blog. I might buy a Gitano one of these days to try-out on my dreadnought since I like playing my steels in a classical position as well. :)

jabliberty

Post by jabliberty » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:34 am

The Gitano works very well for me on a Guild DV-52. Just the right amount of support, even using a flatpick. Absolutely perfect using fingerstyle method.

Kris

Post by Kris » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:00 pm

I bought the Ergoplay (the one which is supposedly more adjustable), but it is now living in my "pile o junk" drawer. I spent so much time fiddling with that damned thing I'd like to send an invoice to Ergoplay :) It just doesn't work for me at all. Plus, it looks like a mechanical monster attacked my guitar! It's a footstool all the way for me. I think the key for using the footstool is relaxation, frequent breaks and stretching before and after the practice sessions.

Bobber

Post by Bobber » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:19 pm

There are so many factors involved in sitting. Your choice of holding device could very well be related to the dimensions of your own body. I am a long torso, long arm type of person. I tried the ergoplay and it was a whole magnitude better for me in terms of sitting comfort.

relayer66

Post by relayer66 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:27 am

I believe in trying as many different approaches as necessary until you find what works best for you.
I found the Dynarette is my support of choice.
I agree with taking breaks regularly to stretch out.

BTierney

Post by BTierney » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Does anyone know if the suction cups will harm a cashew finish? I have a 1974 Kohno 20 and would like to "avoid any unpleasantness."

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”