Dating a Tatay

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Sam Lanham

Dating a Tatay

Post by Sam Lanham » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:25 pm

This is my first post. I began playing acoustic guitar at age 15 and never got much better. But I loved the instrument. I never owned a fine guitar until 1964. A person who knew I was a collector of old Texas maps offered me a guitar in exchange for one of my maps from the 1850's. I was not familiar with guitars such as this one, but since I had been playing for a number of years I could tell it was a nice one and we made the trade. I enjoyed playing it for many years' mostly popular music and some classical. Then I had an intimate conference with my table saw and that ended my guitar playing. The guitar is a Tatay and only recently did I become aware that it is an exceptional instrument. I'm not planning to sell it (I have a brother and two grandsons who play) but I'm always interested in historical research. So I'm hoping you can help me date this Tatay, so I can pass it on in the family with appropriate information. It has the circular Vicente Tatay--Valencia, Espana label in black and gold. I can find no date and no serial number. I looked for the date inside the box but found nothing. It has 18 full frets and 2 small frets for the first and second strings. The keyboard appears to be ebony. Sides and back appear to be the same wood. The front is a lighter, straight-gained wood. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. If this is not an appropriate posting for this site, please don't hesitate to tell me. Thank you, Friends. Sam

Paul

Re: Dating a Tatay

Post by Paul » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to move your post to the Luthier forum where hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer you. In the mean time, perhaps you could introduce yourself here viewforum.php?f=28 and then we can give a rundown on how things work etc.

Regards,

Paul

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Oh. So this isn't about going out with a spud.

mclegg

Post by mclegg » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:19 pm

More than likely someone is going to ask you to post a picture. Just a heads up. I've never heard of that guitar brand/maker. I just did a bit of googling and found that
the company/label was started by Vincente Tatay approximately 1889 and He went into mass production for "student model" guitars. That could be the reason it doesn't have a date on it. Most lower end factory guitars
don't have a date on the label. (the ones i've seen at least)

Just my thoughts,
Marc

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Sharp reply, Flameproof. I noticed the ambiguity of my subject label after the posting. Now that you have made me feel right at home with your fine humor, tell me what you know about the Tatay. Sam :-)

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:00 pm

flameproof wrote:Oh. So this isn't about going out with a spud.
Ha ha! That's what I was thinking too. I was going to ask if she had a friend for me. After all, I was married to a lemon. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, Sam. Even if you don't play anymore, you are most welcome to participate in the forum. We have a number of members who simply love classical guitar.

I agree with Marc about posting a picture. It's hard to imagine that a picture could help, but we have some real experts here. I've seen them identify guitars from the rosette patterns, tuning pegs and shape of the headstock. :shock:

Good luck!

Alan

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:49 pm

:grire:

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:31 pm

geez that wis a stoater!

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am

Hi
over here the Tatay name is mostly associated with cheap factory made guitars from the 70's and 80's. If you have a guitar made by the man himself then that would be a completely different story. Initially, pictures would help, I am guessing that an expert would need to see the guitar in person to confirm the source.

Regards Tim
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Matthew McAllister wrote:
geez that wis a stoater!
Jings crivens help mi' bob
I'm expecting to see your avatar changed to Oor Wullie any day now. :lol:

Yep, some photos of the guitar would help a lot with aging.
Welcome to Delcamp Sam.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks, Tim and all the rest of you helpful guys-- One other thing I failed to mention. There is a darkened spot just below the sound hole. It doesn't go through to bare wood. I assume it is from an active right hand. There's no evidence of pick use. I will definitely try to figure out how to post a picture. What parts of rhe guitar would be most useful to help with the dating? Sam

mclegg

Post by mclegg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 pm

More than likely the label in the sound hole and a headstock shot if anyone is familiar with this particular make of instrument. As I said before, It's probably a factory made guitar that doesn't have a date (as most do not).

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:16 pm

The is a short history over on the Zavaleta guitar site. There is a photo of a Tatay guitar from 1900ish on Felix Manzanero's site in his collection page. Tatay was one of the Valencia luthiers. He started out small and with his sons built it up to a factory operation over 50 years.

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi
personally I would like to see a complete shot of the front and the back as well. If you could get a closeup of the grain on the back that might help some of the luthiers to identify the wood. I don't recall the factory made guitars having a very dark wood back. There are some rules about size and so on for the pictures , I'm afraid I don't know how to advise on that. I have taken some with an ordinary digital camera and just added them to a post, it seemed to work OK.

Regards Tim
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Sam, posting some pics-- follow the instructions here. If you run into any problems, just let us know. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24921&st=0&sk=t&sd ... 30#p247717

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Return to “Luthiers”