D02 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Re: D02 Lesson 1

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:57 am

I thought everyone played the pieces very musically with good tone. Also you all made some very helpful and supportive comments. I found that when I was recording (for the D03 group) I benefited from listening to a take and noticing the "high level" things that could be improved, such as pausing longer at the end of a phrase before starting the next one, for instance. I had not noticed things like this when I was playing but could hear it easily when listening to the recording. So by doing multiple takes I was able to improve my approach to the piece. I think there is a good argument for regularly recording yourself and listening to it.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 pm

I feel that I must post something even though I feel like I've had a reprieve as there is a week to go.

Firstly I apologise for the poor recording quality. I promise I am going to get a better microphone.
Also please don't mention the repeated bass A in the second half.
At least I will be able to show improvement :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 am

Hi All

Many thanks for all of the comments regarding my earlier post. Great advice and encouragement. :D I have finally managed to produce a video.

[media]https://youtu.be/gMSI9Bpt6wA[/media]

I hope to get more done in the next few days.

Cheers. Greg.

Charlesoln

Post by Charlesoln » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:01 am

Waaaaoooow! Nice job! :bravo: :casque:

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:14 am

stewart wrote: Time for my first smiley, I hope it's an appropriate use... For Michael: :bravo:
Wow, thanks Stewart!

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:27 am

RichardJ wrote:I feel that I must post something even though I feel like I've had a reprieve as there is a week to go.

Firstly I apologise for the poor recording quality. I promise I am going to get a better microphone.
Also please don't mention the repeated bass A in the second half.
At least I will be able to show improvement :)
HI Richard... you sounded confident in playing with a nice pace. Using the alternating im on the piece was a big deal for me to get the hang of but you look really comfortable. The sound is actually quite good. Interestingly I had to download a program to view your file as Quicktime on my mac does not support the .wmv file format. All good. Look forward to more.

Cheers. Greg.

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 am

Charlesoln wrote:Waaaaoooow! Nice job! :bravo: :casque:
:mrgreen: Thanks... I worked several hours for that 1 minute. I learnt a lot, mostly about myself.

Cheers. Greg.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks Greg for your vote of "confidence" :)

I still struggle a bit with alternating the i and m. I don't realise that I have used i for two consecutive notes so I'm wrong fingered at the end of the phrase.

I'll try and use .mpg next time otherwise I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a YouTube account. I don't like any of these large online "service providers" they're taking over the world. :)

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 1. They are Polyphonie no1 & no2; Bute apoyando no 15 & no 16;Danse D"avila;Oh Susanna;Que Ne Suis-Je La Fougere.

With the holidays coming up I know I won't have any more time to get these any better, so though they are not complete or mastered these are my best takes. What I learned from these 1. My tone is poor 2.My hand slowly creeps down the guitar 3. I don't always do the rest stroke with my thumb when I think I am. 4. I play too fast at times. 5. My hand angle is bad. 6. I don't always dampen when I should

Though I am submitting these I will continue to work on these lessons until I can perform them well, as I can see the benefit of learning these techniques.
Jack
[media]https://youtu.be/3w8uhuxtyuA[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Lgm0jQhOeq4[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/zpYP6SpBY4w[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/nmU5rCtWJSc[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/zWWoeDwLtxI[/media]
Last edited by Jack Jarrett on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi, I found this great link to show how to imbed the youtube. Hope it is okay I posted here!
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24921&p=296052#p296052

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Greg:
great tone and expression!

Jack:
I thought your tone and volume was good. Although it's natural to focus on the things we did wrong (I certainly do this), there were many good things about your playing that you should be encouraged by. Musically it was excellent.

It looks like your hands are pretty big and your fingers are long - this is an advantage for the guitar, but I think particularly for your right hand it makes it a little harder for it to have the room it needs to hang naturally and be ready to touch the strings. I have found that from my right hand elbow down through my wrist and hand there is a continual curve with the wrist out as part of the curve and the back of the hand continuing into the fingertips finishing the curve. This results in a very relaxed wrist and with the wrist higher and out more might make room for your long fingers. Also, playing closer to the sound hole instead of closer to the bridge would make more room (obviously sometimes you want to play more by the bridge for effect).

The elbow/arm/wrist continual curve I describe is harder to achieve with the rest stroke (I have to deviate from it myself for rest stroke although this is probably an area where my technique needs to improve).

I would focus on keeping the right hand stroke movement in the fingers and hand as much as possible, and not in the wrist, forearm, or elbow. Wrist, forearm, elbow movement should not be part of the normal stroke (although sometimes for effect on certain notes forearm and wrist maybe), but their movement should be more incidental, maybe sometimes a byproduct of the stroke, but not a part of it. In general, the back of the hand, the wrist, the forearm, and the elbow should be pretty steady.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:38 pm

oh yes, I also had trouble using the <youtube> tags, I ended up not using them and just posting the full link to youtube - this worked good although it shows as a link and not as an embedded video, so maybe the link that someone else posted would show you how to actually embed. It looks like when using the <youtube> tag it might be expecting just the youtube id after that, not the whole url. I viewed Jack's posts by right-click, view source, and then finding the links in the html. This is where I saw that the <youtube> tag puts the http://www.youtube.com/v for you.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:45 pm

To see a great arrangement of Que ne suis-je la fougère played on the Romantic Guitar (a smaller instrument, check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFbDhwafItg&NR=1

The guitarist illustrates my idea of the right-hand/forearm curve very well - he takes it to more of an extreme with the hand ending up almost parallel to the strings instead of at right angles to them (maybe this is romantic technique?) I don't take it this far, but I think it is good as an illustration.
Jeremy

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:05 am

Jeremy Hickerson wrote:oh yes, I also had trouble using the <youtube> tags, I ended up not using them and just posting the full link to youtube - this worked good although it shows as a link and not as an embedded video, so maybe the link that someone else posted would show you how to actually embed. It looks like when using the <youtube> tag it might be expecting just the youtube id after that, not the whole url. I viewed Jack's posts by right-click, view source, and then finding the links in the html. This is where I saw that the <youtube> tag puts the http://www.youtube.com/v for you.
Have you folks seen this article in the help section about embedding Youtube video's into your posts?

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:32 am

Thanks so much to Susan who helped me to figure out which part of the string of stuff to use for the embed to work properly.(The only reason I used You Tube was because I couldn't seem to get the vids to load directly.) Anyway all is good in the online universe once again. Thanks again. and anyone else having trouble loading should follow Susans link.

Jeremy
Thanks for your words of encouragement and the great and thoughtful advice regarding my right hand technique.I really appreciate the fact you took the time and really looked at what I was doing. I hope to be able to offer some helpful advice to someone soon, though I don't know that I am there yet.
Jack

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”