D02 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: D02 Lesson 2

Post by GeoffB » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Ned,

You post them on this thread, from today.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks, Geoff.

I am new to this recording business but I will have a go.

Ned

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:34 pm

Hello everyone,

It's nice to be back for the second lesson, although for some personal reasons I haven't been able to devote much time during the first week. I'm sure many, like me, will have tried the yellow sections on p84 and stared at their fingers waiting for them to follow instructions from the brain! I think Michael made an excellent point about following M. Delcamp's practice schedule. I realise I haven't quite followed the requirements by not counting during my very slow Malaguena. I hope to speed it up, add counting (although I find this VERY hard to do whilst playing) and cut down on the mistakes for the next post. As I understand things though, we should try to post our first attempts within the first ten days, so here goes....

All the best,

Stewart

D02 p73 n6
[media]https://youtu.be/IOz3-nFKT7Q[/media]

D02 p84n40
[media]https://youtu.be/tEKa9zhDtsg[/media]

D02 p12-13 Malaguena
[media]https://youtu.be/vh239Wdck9c[/media]

Alexia Rivera

Post by Alexia Rivera » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:44 am

Hello.
I have a question about Malagueña , is this piece played as a combination of tirando and apoyando ?
or is always tirando (free strokes) , I think after observing Mr Delcamp RH it looks like a combination of both.

thanks !

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:42 am

Here is my attempt at Malaguena. It has taken a couple of days to work out the technical aspects of getting it online so I hope this works.
I broke a nail a couple of weeks ago and so I am playing it with fingertips. I too have not mastered the art of counting in a steady rhythm while playing yet, I notice that my counting tends to follow the wandering rhythm of the guitar playing rather than vice versa...maybe I have to learn to slow down the counting and go back to basics...

I would like to say t=54718# to all who have made these lessons possible.

Ned H.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:44 am

Er that should read I would like to say thank you to all who have made these lessons possible!

(something strange happens when I drag that little thank you icon into the reply box...is this an Apple Mac problem with forum software or something...)

Ned H.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:28 am

Stewart
From your video it looks like you are using the middle finger to play consecutive notes in some phrases of your maleguena.
You play it very cleanly and consistently but I think you may have problems getting faster unless you alternate your right hand fingers (or never play the same finger twice)
If you play the same finger twice it will have to travel twice as fast as the other fingers.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:06 am

I have added my right hand fingering to this section Bars 41 to 43.
I use m a rather than m i a couple of times to avoid reaching i over to the second string.
malaguena.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:18 am

Ned H. wrote:Er that should read I would like to say thank you to all who have made these lessons possible!

(something strange happens when I drag that little thank you icon into the reply box...is this an Apple Mac problem with forum software or something...)

Ned H.
You just need to click on the icon, and not attempt to drag it. When you click on it, a code will be inserted into your text which looks like :merci: . When you Submit the message it will appear as the "thank you" smiley.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Bryan Jeffrey

Post by Bryan Jeffrey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Stewart,

You definitely nailed the lesson! I am curious, do you often practice with a metronome? I have been told that it's not a great thing to do often as it can make one's playing sound mechanical. Listening to your Maleguena with the metronome however, it really sounded great. It seems like this piece in particular has a strong and driving feel where the rhythm has to be there.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:47 pm

:merci: Geoff

Ned H.

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:42 pm

RichardJ wrote:Stewart
From your video it looks like you are using the middle finger to play consecutive notes in some phrases of your maleguena.
You play it very cleanly and consistently but I think you may have problems getting faster unless you alternate your right hand fingers (or never play the same finger twice)
If you play the same finger twice it will have to travel twice as fast as the other fingers.
Hi Richard, Thanks for your comments. I do try to alternate, although I don't find I use 'a' very naturally. I suspect failure to alternate is something that creeps in when the going gets tougher! Incidentally, I think your advice in an earlier post about omitting the thumb (initially) for the exercises 38/39 on p84 is excellent.

Stewart

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Bryan Jeffrey wrote:Stewart,

You definitely nailed the lesson! I am curious, do you often practice with a metronome? I have been told that it's not a great thing to do often as it can make one's playing sound mechanical. Listening to your Maleguena with the metronome however, it really sounded great. It seems like this piece in particular has a strong and driving feel where the rhythm has to be there.
Thanks Bryan, although there's still plenty to work on. I don't use a metronome often but I realised that if I didn't stick to a slower time for the earlier section I would start faltering at bars 37-39 when it gets harder - for me anyway. It also help monitor progress and as I realised I wouldn't be able to do a first recording with counting I thought it would be the next best thing. I will try to do a version with counting later.

Stewart

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:22 pm

One thing that has helped my relaxation and sitting and playing position is keeping my right foot (on the leg that is NOT supporting the guitar) flat on the floor, as opposed to up on its toe. This lowers my right leg just enough to support the end of the guitar better so it doesn't slide out of position, and it also changes the neck angle to be a little higher at the peg head. Also, having the foot flat takes away a lot of tension. I had been aware for a long time that I tended to transfer tension from the music to my right foot for some reason, don't know if the foot position was the cause but it's much better with it flat.

I think I ran across this by accident in a Laurindo Almeida method book I saw in the library.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:27 pm

I had a similar issue with my right foot. I would lift the heal even though it is raised on a foot stool.
I now have my foot stool with the front lower than the back. (heel higher than toes)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”