D01 Classical guitar lesson 5

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Robert Goodwin

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 5

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 am

Hi James,
Very nice! :bravo:

You have enviable skill with pace and evenness. For an extra challenge you might try shifting the right hand to produce
some color variation. I found that threw me way off. I would start missing the 'D4' string with one hand or the other.

One thing about the polyphony exercise; it's not really musical so there's nothing but the score to hang your hat on. That can be a little off-putting. I'm hopefully going to finish up in the next day or two with the other pieces and then it's off to lesson six.

@Scott,
I've been playing Recuerdos for about six months and it keeps me charged up to get better at the basics. I have it memorized so sight reading doesn't interfere. It never gets old. On the contrary, the lovely and sometimes haunting melody keeps me inspired to keep going.

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:17 am

Hi Bob,

I've been experimenting with shifting the right hand for tone, but like you, it really throws me off! I have to stop and readjust my hand, and find the strings all over again. It'll come, eventually . . .

I've been recording every song and exercise, just for my own pleasure (or torture ;) ). It's nice to be able to go back and hear my progress, and it also ensures that I don't skip anything. Also, I'm finding when I go back to earlier pieces, they're much easier.

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:09 pm

James: I second Bob - very nice job with the Divertissement. :bravo: And also what he says about the polyphony exercise. It's hard to get excited about a technique exercise. I was just complaining about the same thing. One of the crosses we must bear as students of guitar, I'm afraid. I didn't "get" the rest stroke with the thumb business at first, until I started Chapter Nine exercises in the Noad "Solo Guitar Playing". (Diad and triad chords.) I was doing them tirando, and sometimes when trying to play loudly, I noticed I was striking strings between the ones I wanted - ex. B on A string and G open, I would hit the D string unintentionally. Rest stroke w/thumb prevented that (and sounded so much better.) So I am starting to see these "dull" exercises in a new light. :strizzalocchio:

@ Bob: I do the same thing with "Romanza Anonyme". Not as tough as "Recuerdos" but I like it and the barres have always given me fits. And now it's improving!

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Bob,

I listened to your divertissement again this morning. One thing that came to mind which might be helpful is to work on legato. Try to hold the notes for as close to the asked-for duration as possible. Let the notes flow into each other. You have a tendency to lift your left-hand finger right immediately after playing the note.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Mike,
It's amazing how great minds think alike. :) I have become aware of that myself and I'm trying to be more precise. I am going to spend some extra time on that before I move on to the next lesson. Thanks for taking the time to help me focus on my real issues. :merci:

Bob Goodwin

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Well, I've been long enough on this lesson. It's time to move on.

Unfortunately I didn't give the time they deserved to the little tunes that were not required to record. I think I learned a lot from this lesson and hope I can carry that forward and improve on that in D01-6.

[media]https://youtu.be/9-CFk7Jwp5c[/media]

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Sounds good, Bob. The practice really seems to be improving your coordination and smoothness greatly. I'm not going to criticize the thumb rest strokes - I'm not qualified yet. I never practiced that as a youth. I tried it last night, and it really does feel like I'm playing with gloves on. :(

If you're bored, you might also check out my rant here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=57069&start=15#p638744 I'm great at criticizing in others what I also do wrong myself. I think they call that a hypocrite? :wink:

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Bob, it does sound good. The thumb rest strokes look good to me, very relaxed, and also you seem to have your damping under control. I think any other problems you have will be sorted out over the next few lessons. I'm looking forward to hearing your lesson 6!

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 am

Scott and James,
Thanks for the encouragement. :merci:

Scott, re; your rant,

I too would appreciate hearing from those who started back in November who certainly must have additional insights to share by now. It does appear that some of them who showed great promise early on, have dropped out or are taking extra long breaks.

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Fri May 20, 2011 12:25 am

This PolyPhony is hard to get a balanced sound. I have done the #15 scale as well but forgot to record it. I must write myself a note.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”