D03 Classical guitar lesson 8

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 8

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue May 17, 2011 8:55 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the new version of volume D03 that I updated today.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS

- page 105 - 13/ Improvise a melody upon the harmonic sequence of Folias.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces.
Las Folias are played using strums with the index finger. The arrows indicate the direction of the strum. In the strum, several strings are struck in rapid succession, to give the effect of a chord, that is to say of notes played simultaneously.

- page 31 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) FOLIAS
In bars 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 the thumb rests on the 6th string. In bars 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 the thumb rests on the 5th string. It is important not to move the hand while the index finger moves up and down. Resting the thumb on a bass string helps to keep the hand still. It also prevents the accidental sounding of one or more bass strings that are not used in certain chords

- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE
This piece consists of a melody with accompaniment. The melody is played on the first string, except in bars 46 and 47. Bring out the melody notes (those with the stem pointing up) by using rest strokes with your third finger. Play the accompaniment (the notes with the stem pointing down) quietly, with gentle free strokes using the thumb, middle and index fingers.
On the first beat of each of the odd-numbered bars, you need to use a rest stroke for the treble note with your third finger while at the same time using a free stroke for the bass note, played gently with your thumb.
These two simultaneous strokes, one a strongly played rest stroke, the other a gentle free stroke, will seem very difficult, or even impossible, to achieve. But don't worry, my students manage this double stroke after 15 minutes. The first few minutes of practising this right-hand skill are always agonizing for students, because they feel that they will never succeed. In my lessons, my role is to reassure the students and encourage them to persevere. Often, after 15 minutes of repeating the same movements, students start to get there. Sometimes they are quite amazed at having succeeded at what seemed impossible. Because by repeatedly failing to perform rest and free strokes simultaneously, you end up convincing yourself that it's impossible. In short, persevere! Have courage!

Be patient, stay relaxed, don't get annoyed with yourself, don't curse me, just repeat the same movements over and over again while making an effort to get it right. In a few hours or a few days you will achieve mastery of this simultaneous rest and free stroke. This technique is used in the piece "Jeux interdits".
The marking CV, in bars 19, 20, 27, 28, 67, 68, 75 and 76, indicates a half barré with the index finger at the fifth fret.

- pages 68-69 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°9
The dotted lines joining two identical notes indicate that the fingers of the left hand are not lifted but remain in place on the fingerboard.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS
- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 8

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 20, 2011 11:47 am

Just a reminder to anyone who may not have seen the announcement, Jean-François is offering a year-end exam, with diploma, for those who are interested. You can read details in this and subsequent posts.

Anyone who wishes to enter but hasn't yet posted sufficient recordings will need to post them before the exam date, so be careful you don't leave it too late.

If anyone is put off by having to register on the Spanish forum to take the exam, don't be, as it is very easy to do, you don't need to speak Spanish, and I can provide guidance if necessary. Again, don't leave it until the last minute, as it may take a day or so to register.

(I'm repeating this message at all three levels of the course).

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun May 22, 2011 10:15 pm

I've just posted a guide here for any students thinking of taking the year-end exam, with an explanation of the essential steps you need to take beforehand.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:30 am

OK here are the lesson 8 postings. The Valse is our final exam, so consider this a rough draft. I played it as if the dancers are wearing heavy gowns. And there are a couple of rough spots but it almost memorized which will help a lot.
Anon; Valse en sol majeur.mp3
And here are the Chord Studies. I will say they were a bear. # 45 I didn't get it at all until I realized the whole key (pardon the pun) to measures 2-5 is the low B and the 2nd finger. Even then...
Delcamp, Jean-Francois; Accords #44.mp3
Delcamp, Jean Francois; Accords #45.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 am

Hello,

Here's my attempt at the valse en sol mageur. There's a few stumbles that I need to smooth out. It's really very nice piece. I really enjoy playing it.

[media]https://youtu.be/TWMUijqE3tI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Cheers

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Greg,

Great job on the Valse. I really liked your interpretation. Keeping it slow made it really stand out and it set a very calm romantic mood. The chord studies were also very good. I'm still struggling with some of the fingerings and changes, but that's what studdies are for.

Good Job.

Ric

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:59 pm

I'll take a look at the new posts tonight when I get home.

Geoff, I got an email message marked "urgent" regarding the final exam, with a link to follow. I clicked on it but there was no English translation of the post. It looked like maybe it had something to do w/ the requirements for each lesson for the D01 group, and then it had a lot of other stuff after that. Is this something the D03 group needs to know about or act on?
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Jeremy, if the message was in Spanish I think you just happened to get it because you have registered with the Spanish forum and it was probably sent out to all their members. I got something similar, which I've now deleted, and I didn't pay much attention but if I remember correctly it was an urgent request for someone to translate tomorrow's lesson from French into Spanish. As I said I didn't look very closely, but it was nothing affecting us.

If the actual email didn't have Spanish in it, however, it could have been something else. If you can PM me the contents or at least the link, I can take a look for you.

Don't forget, incidentally, to make your two posts on the Spanish forum and ask Alan to put you in the students group there, if you want to take the exam.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:59 pm

Here's my initial post (w/ mistakes) of the Accords and the Valse

[media]https://youtu.be/E6lIo5HPdqw[/media]
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:12 am

Greg, the Valse was well done and beautiful with a sweet tone, a pleasure to listen to. Also the chord studies sounded quite nice - check the notes on the two chords before the last chord of the second study.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:15 am

Ric, very fluid playing on the Valse at a good tempo too! Nice sound.
Jeremy

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:13 am

Ric and Jeremy, thank you for listening. The last notes in the accords, yes I knew it when I played it. It was so late when I finished recording, I just couldn't do it again.
Ric, your Valse was great. You really bring out the melody very well. I played that piece from memory today and that should help me to get the tempo up a bit. I doubt that I will be able to keep it at the pace you played though. Was that Mr. Delcamp's tempo marking? Which is quite brisk indeed. It works great that way.
Jeremy very nice on the accords and good steady playing on the valse. If I could suggest playing the accompaniment(sp?) notes more softly.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Greg - I also felt that I played the rest stroke melody notes too strongly and percussively! I'll work on the interpretation - it does help to hear the recording because when you're playing you don't notice so many things.
Jeremy

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Jeremy, good job. I suggest the same thing as Greg on the valse, the accompaniment just a little softer so the melody really stands out.

Thanks for the complements everyone. As far as getting it up to speed, it sort of just happened, like if the valse was demanding to be played that way.

The valse is a really beautiful piece to play and listen too. Next goal is to have it completly memorized.

Leonardo Silva

Post by Leonardo Silva » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:15 am

Rick, Greg and Jeremy great job on the valse. i'm not going to post it here because my digital camera is broken. i'm planning to buy an ipad so i'll be able to make videos better than i had done. but its just a plan. For now i'll be watching your's work.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”