Bach, J. S. - Anh. 114 Minuet - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Massimo Piazza

Bach, J. S. - Anh. 114 Minuet - Video

Post by Massimo Piazza » Wed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Erik Zurcher

Re: Bach,J.S. - Anh.114 Minuet- Video

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Beautiful, Massimo. :bravo: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Duang Turongratanachai

Re: Bach, J. S. - Anh.114 Minuet - Video

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 pm

It's lovely.
:merci:
nok :casque:

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed May 18, 2011 10:38 pm

In 1979, the German musicologist Hans-Joachim Schultze published an essay showing this Minuet (and its companion in g-minor) were written by Christian Petzold and not by Bach. I sent him an email, and this is his reply:
My essay is called “A ‘Dresdner Menuett’ in the second piano book of Anna Magdalena Bach. With references to the transmission of some works from chamber music of Bach", published in the Bach-Jahrbuch of 1979, pg. 45-64.

In it, I reviewed a manuscript from 1726 which covered, among other piano pieces of the 17th and the 18th century, a “Suite de Clavecin par C. Petzold”. Those movements are called: Prelude - Allemande - Courante - Sarabande - Bourrée - Menuet alternative- Menuet 2 - Gigue - Passepied alternative – Trio. The "Menuet alternative" and "Menuet 2" are the two pieces being questioned, in G-major and g-minor, which are also found in the piano-book of Anna Magdalena Bach. In that one, they appear without declaring the name of the composer.

As for the identity of "C. Petzold", the only one to be thought of must be the Organist Christian Petzold (1677-1733) from Dresden, at whose brand new Silbermann Organ J. S. Bach could give various concerts in 1725 and 1731. In 1733, Wilhelm Friedman, oldest son of J. S. Bach, became Petzold's student.

The second Clavier-Book from Anna Magdalena Bach was in fact begun in 1725, but contains quite a few entries from the years 1730 and 1740, for example a short Generalbass-instruction for Johann Christoph Friedrich, Bach´s son, who was born in 1732. The Petzold-Suite is - at least in many parts - a kind of a variation suite; that is, the themes of all phrases vary in the same basic material. The incipits of the phrases, which are published in my Bach-yearbook of 1979, should make it clear that several phrases - including the G-Major Menuett - are somehow related to each other. Because of that, I consider neither the possibility nor the necessity to twist around the "famous" Menuett-phrases and credit them to J. S. Bach.

You will have seen every now and then that pieces that earlier were named after "J. S. Bach" (because of lack of other indications), have now been assigned to other composers. For example: The Aria "Bist du bei mir", which is contained in the Clavier-book of Anna Magdalena Bach, too, originates from Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel´s (1690-1749) opera "Diomedes" who was performed in 1718 in Bayreuth. These two Menuets are yet another example of the same type of situation.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Thu May 19, 2011 3:21 am

:bravo: :bravo:
Tamada, I love this piece and in my opinion, your performance here is the best interpretation that I've ever heard.
Bach would have smiled and kept the beat with the nod of his head, listening to you.
Thank you so much for sharing your music with us. I really enjoyed your performance.
:merci:

Kay

P.S. You really made my day a whole lot better. :D
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

franks59

Post by franks59 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:19 am

:bravo: Very nice. I'm jealous!

Frank

Massimo Piazza

Post by Massimo Piazza » Fri May 20, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks to all,in particular the comment of KeMe!!

daveto

Re: Bach, J. S. - Anh. 114 Minuet - Video

Post by daveto » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Lovely playing. I am learning this piece right now and really appreciate your video - it is really nice to listen to, and very helpful to watch. Thanks.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:19 pm

Very nice performance. I remember listening to my older brother and sister playing this on the piano when I was a kid. I think it sounds even better on guitar.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:53 pm

David Norton wrote:
Wed May 18, 2011 10:38 pm
In 1979, the German musicologist Hans-Joachim Schultze published an essay showing this Minuet (and its companion in g-minor) were written by Christian Petzold and not by Bach. I sent him an email, and this is his reply:
Thanks for that, David - hadn't seen it before.

jscott

Post by jscott » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:58 am

Wonderful, Massimo! I agree with the others.
No trills?

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”